Stop mucking up our food database!

Options
I see a trend of people adding *special* entries to the food database just for themselves, usually marked with their initials. If you are entering something special for yourself, stop mucking up the database we all use and do not share it. It is annoying searching though 8 different variations of something trying to find the "true" item. I'm not talking about those entries for things such as prepared sandwiches that specifically lay out the various ingredients in the title--those are great! But if I see an entry that says something like "Subway - 6" Turkey Sub (skd)" and then has some oddball calories that are not accurate to the description, I'm editing it!

/soapbox

*sigh* Ok, I feel better now that's my chest. Hope everyone's have a great day!

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I know. Do people not realize that the "my foods" option is there for a reason?
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    too right I found a dairy milk chocolate bar which had far less cals than are actually in it think someone was trying to cheat the system when the only person they are really cheating is themselves x
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Amen!

:)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    agreed!
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yes Lord!!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I see a trend of people adding *special* entries to the food database just for themselves, usually marked with their initials. If you are entering something special for yourself, stop mucking up the database we all use and do not share it. It is annoying searching though 8 different variations of something trying to find the "true" item. I'm not talking about those entries for things such as prepared sandwiches that specifically lay out the various ingredients in the title--those are great! But if I see an entry that says something like "Subway - 6" Turkey Sub (skd)" and then has some oddball calories that are not accurate to the description, I'm editing it!

/soapbox

*sigh* Ok, I feel better now that's my chest. Hope everyone's have a great day!

I agree. When I create a food I leave it as that - My Food. I don't add it to the database. Now - the only thing I have done with those foods is minus out natural sugars when needed and added potassium since no nutrition labels seem to want to add potassium and there is a direct connection between potassium and sodium.
  • ngoat
    ngoat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I agree! I read a post on here the other day. Someone had order a sandwhich at a resteraunt not realizing the entry on MFP was one that the person made for themselves. She thought she was eating 550 calories and later found out it was 1440. I wish it could be more controlled!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You can edit the foods already in the database? I thought that we could only enter things we entered in My Foods and Recipes.

Keep in mind that 100% of my food logging and food database usage is via the iPhone app, so I never knew that was an option. I just thought it was stuff that people entered into My Foods and it populated to the database. (since whenever I enter something in My Foods it verifies that the same brand/product name combo isn't already being used)
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for bringing this up! I was thinking the same thing yesterday. It takes me forever to find something that I know is in the system because of the all of the "special additions" that should NOT be shared.

If I put in a recipe, it's for me. I don't share it.
  • jmmtaylor
    Options
    I always edit when I click something and see it's not right. I know I will type in something and it won't pull up but then when I go to add it they go "something similar is already entered" of course it's what I was looking for...lol.
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I just stumbled on this after having to week through a lot of this garbage. I'm thinking of inputting everything on my own and keeping it all in my foods just so I don't get the wrong stuff in there. I found several versions of my protein bar with the wrong data, and stuff like 1,000 "grape nuts" entries, etc.
  • jennlee80
    Options
    I never noticed this!! Probably because I enter in the brand or create a recipe! This would drive me crazy though.
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    Agreed! If I am eating a "common food", i.e. milk, eggs, etc. I look for the entry without the * beside it, because that it what Mike and others put into the database when they created the website. If I am entering my own food, I put it my food with the nutritional information from the packaging!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Agree!!
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    agreed there are many items in the list that dont have any where near as many calories as they have! who are these people kidding
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute. If I add something to My Foods, and it then populates to the database, does that mean that people can edit it and mess up my entry?

For example, I can use the meal builder option on the website for places like Panera and Red Robin and create a custom tailored meal of exactly what I plan on ordering. I enter this into My Foods to be entered for that meal (I.e. Bacon Turkey Bravo with no sauce or BLTA Sandwich with no mayo and no fries) and also any future times I may have to go to those restaurants with friends.

Does what this thread is saying mean that someone else can then go in and edit those entries because they think they're wrong or don't like what it says?
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    i have even had to add to my food list a snickers bar with the correct calories, i dont know where these people are getting low calorie snickers from but if the sold them they would advertise them
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Using the barcode reader on the Android is helpful when you don't want to enter all the nutrition info.
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    I couldn't agree more! I found that the other day and then realised that maybe I'm eating more calories than I realise when I use some of the database that members have added... I looked up something one day that was a cake with a brand name and there were about 10 options and all with a * beside them... when I added it to my food diary I realised that there wasn't any sugar or carb or fat content added by the members who added it!!! Lol! Cake with no sugar and no carbs or fat???!!! Yeah.. I wish!!!

I checked the package and entered the correct info.. and then wished I hadn't eaten it! Lol!

If I add something to the database I always make sure I only let others use it if I can fill in ALL the boxes and give the correct info.. otherwise I make it private for my own use... I wish others would do the same