Stop mucking up our food database!

Options

Replies

• kelligonzales
    Options
    ha ha ha I really feel like this need to be shouted from the roof tops. It's hard enough to track let alone to find the right stuff with all the choices. Good Post! :drinker:
  • RiverWild
    RiverWild Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    Yes. And YES. With the My Foods, My Meals, and My Recipes options you have plenty of ways to store customized items like Coffee + 2 teaspoons of Splenda (and yes something that silly has been added to the database). There is no reason to create shared combinations like this or strange variations like “Cooks Illustrated Mashed Potatoes (my version)”. If you create a specialized recipe, or modify one to meet your needs, there is NO reason to share it in the data base. Simply save it for your own use.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I hate that too.....but most often I have to mark my foods with CANADA or something like that because the same food will be in the data base 15x but all wrong according to me here......so I add my own and mark with the country since the same food all over the world varies in nutritional info.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Some of the stuff listed in the database states "1 serving" and gives no indication as to how much 1 dang serving is. If I come across an item like that, and can not find something else for my food, I will make a new one. Serving sizes should be added by what is listed on the package (usually in grams) and not "1 serving size"
  • pragya728
    pragya728 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I hate that too.....but most often I have to mark my foods with CANADA or something like that because the same food will be in the data base 15x but all wrong according to me here......so I add my own and mark with the country since the same food all over the world varies in nutritional info.

I don't mind that at all. Foods do have differences based on regions and countries and that doesn't bother me. I could be wrong but I don't think that is what concerned the OP. :) Actually, I like it when foods are marked Canada or AU or such because I can skip checking to see if they are the correct entry for me!
  • carriep2010
    carriep2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hells to the yes!

"LIKE"
  • Tofuheart
    Tofuheart Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I posted a topic about this a few years ago. It drives me batty! I just want to add the basic foods I eat and its almost always wrong. Especially the fat or the protein. I now just try to eat the same food so it keeps my recents on it. It's very frustrating to be off 200 calories or something worse because someone didnt put the right data in.

I now make sure I'm 75-100 calories under usually to make up for mistakes in the database if it's an item I don't usually eat and can't bring the item to the computer to add it myself.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I honestly just look up the info on restaurant websites if I'm eating out. After logging for a year, I am pretty aware of the actual calories in the food I generally eat. I always am checking my labels, portion sizes, ect. I don't totally rely on the database. I think we all need to do our part to edit wrong entries and do our own checking of labels. You can't really blame the database for making you eat 1500 cals because you thought it was 500. You need to investigate because you are the one eating it! :smile:
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I agree, I add lots of foods but never do I add it to the database or make it available for other users.

I also find it frustrating having to click on the nutritional panel of the same 10 named entries to find the correct one.
  • janel814
    Options
    I am new to this whole thing but I didn't know that when I add foods it goes to the database. Plus I do a lot of scanning my foods so when it is scanned and the wrong food comes up so I turn the package over entering the information.

So sorry if it screws up the people that use the cpu site but having the wrong things entered screws up my scanning.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Agreed X9000!!

Especially "homemade" entries. That's what the MY RECIPES tab is for, TYVM!!

I enter a LOT of foods, but keep them in my My Foods without sharing unless it is something fairly generic because chances are, unless you are here in Taiwan, you are not going to be finding these foods anyway :tongue: So I'll save people the trouble of a messed up DBS. Wish there could be a DBS clean-up sometime...
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am new to this whole thing but I didn't know that when I add foods it goes to the database. Plus I do a lot of scanning my foods so when it is scanned and the wrong food comes up so I turn the package over entering the information.

So sorry if it screws up the people that use the cpu site but having the wrong things entered screws up my scanning.

When you scan, if the wrong thing comes up, scroll down. There's a button to search for the right item. It will then re-associate for future scans of the same item.

Creating new foods only adds to the shared database if you click the check-box that says to share.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options

I don't mind that at all. Foods do have differences based on regions and countries and that doesn't bother me. I could be wrong but I don't think that is what concerned the OP. :) Actually, I like it when foods are marked Canada or AU or such because I can skip checking to see if they are the correct entry for me!

Nope, not at all. Certainly understand the need for differences to account for different locations. And it is not such much a problem for me if the description specifies why the entry exist--I'm really annoyed by those that are clearly custom, but do not say why.
  • janel814
    Options

When you scan, if the wrong thing comes up, scroll down. There's a button to search for the right item. It will then re-associate for future scans of the same item.

Creating new foods only adds to the shared database if you click the check-box that says to share.

Okay thanks but how do I change my setting so I do not share?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    When did the Recipes feature become available on the site? Because I know that for my app I got it many, many months into already having had the app and entering a crap ton of foods into My Foods after hand calculating out the nutritional info for a serving.

Plus there are questions on this forum every single day where the person clearly didn't know that the Recipes feature existed. So before blasting people for not always using the "right" way to enter a food, maybe take into account some of the less intuitive parts of this program. Honestly, if I'd had to use MFP on the computer rather than my phone app, I probably wouldn't stuck with it. Today when I was doing tests on the food diary I saw how horrorifically designed te online interface was. I would never want to have to click through so much stuff just to check the calories to start. On the app the calories are all laid out in front of you in the list, so if those are wrong, you don't even have to bother. It's no wonder the one person I told about MFP who doesn't have a smartphone has recently requested a tutorial on how to use the site. It's very bizarrely set up online.

So I don't really fault anyone that uses the website for not always getting things "right", I fault a poorly designed website.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Serving sizes should be added by what is listed on the package (usually in grams) and not "1 serving size"

YES! I hate that too! Just about everything is calculated by weight in grams, so please enter it that way! Unless I know that something is 100% correct, I'll enter it myself and keep it just for myself. I don't want anyone messing with my entries.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I wish it was mandatory to add the country for all new entries. Unless you entered it yourself, you really don't have a clue if it's even accurate for your country.

__

AND, as far as servings go, please figure out how many servings are in the package. If I enter that I ate half the package of cream cheese, I seriously doubt that was actually 50 servings. :P
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I agree. The only time I "Add" something is if it's a restaurant item that isn't currently in the database and I make sure to add all available nutrition facts. I do not add the random recipes I cook at home to the Database, that's just silly.