heart rate monitor and big boobs?!

Options
okay im sorry if this is TMI or not approrpriate but i just wanted some feedback! i purchased a polar ft4 heart rate monitor and so far i THINK its working great. my only concern is where the chest strap has to be located and my chest size. i have a fairlyyy large chest and theres only so much a good bra can do! could the accurateness of my hrm be off because of my chest? idk if ive just been doing extra hard workouts since i got my hrm or what what ive been burning a lot and i just wanna make sure its not overestimating. a lot of the time the bottom of my bra ends up covering the front of the chest strap and im just concerned it may be moving around etc etc. i think it may be fine but i want to know if any other women have problems with their hrm chest straps because of their chests!

if this helps at all my most recent workout (an hour ago) i did cardio kickboxing for almost 40 minutes, my heart rate stayed between 165 and 185 and it says i burned about 540 calories. does that sound off to anyone? (btw i weigh 249 last time i checked if that helps!).

i just look for some feedback really. hope someone can relate!

Replies

• marniehodges
    Options
    That calorie burn sounds about right to me. As long as your watch says it's receiving a good signal it should be fine. If mine moves around or I bend over and scrunch it too much it tells me signal was lost but comes right back when I straighten up. I'm sure it's fine :wink: . Oh, and great work out by the way!
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm considering buying a HRM and have the same situation that you do. I look forward to hearing everyone's responses!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty accurate to me. I too am large chested, and my strap ends up being covered by my sports bra. I wouldn't be too concerned with it.
  • nursegessica
    Options
    could just get a wrist strap one. just saying. :happy:
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    thanks! i was hoping you all would say that! im a bit of a worrywart sometimes and that def goes into high gear when it concerns eating habits and exercising loll
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Make sure to minus out the calories you would've burned anyway.

take the BMR that MFP gave you (mine is 1480 right now) and divide by 24 hours: 1480/24 = 61.6
    Then take that number and divide by 60 minutes: 61.6/60 = 1.026 = 1.03
    Multiply the number of minutes you exercised by that number: 50x1.03 = 51.5 = 52 burned doing nothing
    Subtract that number from the number of calories burned: 400 calories burned - 52 = 448 calories burned during exercise.

And the wrist strap HRMs are nowhere near as accurate as the chest strap HRMs. The Polar HRMs are pretty accurate.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    your burn sounds right....as long as you have a constant heart rate reading on your watch/monitor you are good to go....
  • dp1228
    Options

i debated that! and researched and researched but everyone kept saying the ones with the chest strap are the most accurate! and especially the polar ones. so idk if thats really true but better to be safe then sorry i guess!
  • bluiz13
    Options

take the BMR that MFP gave you (mine is 1480 right now) and divide by 24 hours: 1480/24 = 61.6
    Multiply the number of minutes you exercised by that number: 50x1.03 = 51.5 = 52 burned doing nothing
    Subtract that number from the number of calories burned: 400 calories burned - 52 = 448 calories burned during exercise.

dont worry about all that....just mark down your burn and call it a day....
  • bluiz13
    Options

i debated that! and researched and researched but everyone kept saying the ones with the chest strap are the most accurate! and especially the polar ones. so idk if thats really true but better to be safe then sorry i guess!

you got the best kind....work your *kitten* of on your workouts and maybe you'll get a smaller bust in the meantime :)
  • LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have another question related to boobs and HRMs -

I wear a sports bra that contains underwire. Does anyone have experience with HRMs and underwire bras? I'm not even sure I could get the monitor to lay correctly on my chest because of the placement of the underwires. Any feedback is appreciated!
  • dp1228
    Options

you got the best kind....work your *kitten* of on your workouts and maybe you'll get a smaller bust in the meantime :)

LOL that is DEF what im hoping for. not too small though. i dont think me OR my friends or family would know what to do if i didnt harge a semi large chest lolll. i think we'd all go into shock loll. need something up top since i feel like i dont have a butt LOL :)
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Why would it matter if it ends up under your sports bra? I put my HRM strap on before my bra - it should have no impact on the readings. For some baseline, since cal burn changes based on weight, age, exertion, etc....

I'm 5'7, 188 pounds

45 minutes of competitive volleyball - 545 calories
    1 hour of personal training - 400 calories
    30 minutes treadmill (3.5-4.5 speed) between 2-300 calories
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I just got my HRM this week and was wondering the same thing. My HR seems to run pretty high during boughts of ANY activity but the placement of the chest strap is a bit awkward. Guess I need to get a sports bra because it can get uncomfortable when worn with an underwire. :wink:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Those calories can add up over time. I guess maybe it's different for me because I'm at 1250 calories and not subtracting what I would've burned anyway would make a difference. If that 52 calories was every day over a week that would be a 364 calorie difference. So maybe it doesn't matter as much if you have a lot more to lose - I don't really know. I have only a 230 calorie per day deficit to try a lose a few pounds. So I count it. You do what you want.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I put my HRM on first. Then I'll add whatever bras or clothes I need after that. I always make sure the contact strips of the HRM strap are well... contacting my skin!
  • dp1228
    Options
    I have another question related to boobs and HRMs -

I wear a sports bra that contains underwire. Does anyone have experience with HRMs and underwire bras? I'm not even sure I could get the monitor to lay correctly on my chest because of the placement of the underwires. Any feedback is appreciated!

hi! i know i should be embarrassed by what im about to tell you but oh well loll. i wear two bras when i work out. i have to or id probably knock myself out. one has wire which i wear on top and one doesnt which i wear underneath. that usually gives me the best support! as long as ythe underwire bar fits correctly it should lay flat. i was doubting that mine was but since everyone is saying as long as i have a constant signal im fine then im sure you'll be fine too.
  • dp1228
    Options
    Why would it matter if it ends up under your sports bra? I put my HRM strap on before my bra - it should have no impact on the readings. For some baseline, since cal burn changes based on weight, age, exertion, etc....

I'm 5'7, 188 pounds

45 minutes of competitive volleyball - 545 calories
    1 hour of personal training - 400 calories
    30 minutes treadmill (3.5-4.5 speed) between 2-300 calories

for it ending up underneath my sports bra i was afraid it was moving around too much for an accurate reading thats all! but i guess it doesnt matter according to you guys :)
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options

And the wrist strap HRMs are nowhere near as accurate as the chest strap HRMs. The Polar HRMs are pretty accurate.

This has always been an interesting issue for me. I learned that the proper formulas used for calorie burn during exercise are supposed to take that "what you would haven burned anyways" figure into the mix. In other words, when you enter the duration of your exercise (and your weight, etc.), it's supposed to calculate your exercise burn minus what you would have already burned for the specific time/duration you entered for your exercise.

That said, I've always wondered which figures from which sites/sources do that properly and which might not (and thereby overestimate the calorie burn). If I were to take an educated guess as MFP numbers, they generally (not always!) seem to be high, so I might guess they don't take that into account. But I'm going to give the guys that crafted this site credit and assume that they do.

In short, I never recalculate calories burned for either myself or my clients and have never had a problem getting the weight loss based on the numerical calculations that skip that reduction step. Too much work for the incremental benefit in my humble opinion, especially in light of the fact that they SHOULD (but do they?) have already included that information into their calculation.
  • dp1228
    Options

Those calories can add up over time. I guess maybe it's different for me because I'm at 1250 calories and not subtracting what I would've burned anyway would make a difference. If that 52 calories was every day over a week that would be a 364 calorie difference. So maybe it doesn't matter as much if you have a lot more to lose - I don't really know. I have only a 230 calorie per day deficit to try a lose a few pounds. So I count it. You do what you want.

thanks! i might try it if i hit a plateau but so far its not an issue to not subract the calories i wouldve burned anyway