heart rate monitor and big boobs?!

Options
2»

Replies

• dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Make sure to minus out the calories you would've burned anyway.

take the BMR that MFP gave you (mine is 1480 right now) and divide by 24 hours: 1480/24 = 61.6
    Then take that number and divide by 60 minutes: 61.6/60 = 1.026 = 1.03
    Multiply the number of minutes you exercised by that number: 50x1.03 = 51.5 = 52 burned doing nothing
    Subtract that number from the number of calories burned: 400 calories burned - 52 = 448 calories burned during exercise.

And the wrist strap HRMs are nowhere near as accurate as the chest strap HRMs. The Polar HRMs are pretty accurate.

This has always been an interesting issue for me. I learned that the proper formulas used for calorie burn during exercise are supposed to take that "what you would haven burned anyways" figure into the mix. In other words, when you enter the duration of your exercise (and your weight, etc.), it's supposed to calculate your exercise burn minus what you would have already burned for the specific time/duration you entered for your exercise.

That said, I've always wondered which figures from which sites/sources do that properly and which might not (and thereby overestimate the calorie burn). If I were to take an educated guess as MFP numbers, they generally (not always!) seem to be high, so I might guess they don't take that into account. But I'm going to give the guys that crafted this site credit and assume that they do.

In short, I never recalculate calories burned for either myself or my clients and have never had a problem getting the weight loss based on the numerical calculations that skip that reduction step. Too much work for the incremental benefit in my humble opinion, especially in light of the fact that they SHOULD (but do they?) have already included that information into their calculation.

thanks! i appreciate your opiniion :) if i hit a wall with weight loss i might try it subtracting it. id try pretty much anything to trick my body into losing again since i have very little patience loll
  • dp1228
    Options
    I'm considering buying a HRM and have the same situation that you do. I look forward to hearing everyone's responses!

buy one!! it really does work. try a polar hrm :)
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have a polar too. Make sure you wet the electrodes on the back of the strap then attach transmitter. Put it on in the locker room bc one time I put kine on before I got there and lost signal.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Make sure to minus out the calories you would've burned anyway.

take the BMR that MFP gave you (mine is 1480 right now) and divide by 24 hours: 1480/24 = 61.6
    Then take that number and divide by 60 minutes: 61.6/60 = 1.026 = 1.03
    Multiply the number of minutes you exercised by that number: 50x1.03 = 51.5 = 52 burned doing nothing
    Subtract that number from the number of calories burned: 400 calories burned - 52 = 448 calories burned during exercise.

And the wrist strap HRMs are nowhere near as accurate as the chest strap HRMs. The Polar HRMs are pretty accurate.

This has always been an interesting issue for me. I learned that the proper formulas used for calorie burn during exercise are supposed to take that "what you would haven burned anyways" figure into the mix. In other words, when you enter the duration of your exercise (and your weight, etc.), it's supposed to calculate your exercise burn minus what you would have already burned for the specific time/duration you entered for your exercise.

That said, I've always wondered which figures from which sites/sources do that properly and which might not (and thereby overestimate the calorie burn). If I were to take an educated guess as MFP numbers, they generally (not always!) seem to be high, so I might guess they don't take that into account. But I'm going to give the guys that crafted this site credit and assume that they do.

In short, I never recalculate calories burned for either myself or my clients and have never had a problem getting the weight loss based on the numerical calculations that skip that reduction step. Too much work for the incremental benefit in my humble opinion, especially in light of the fact that they SHOULD (but do they?) have already included that information into their calculation.

I got this info from a number of posts here. Basically just a break down of what my body is burning an hour in 24 hours - using my BMR. It might not be burning the exact same amounts each hour and I might not get an exact number. And I get my calories burned from an HRM - not the database or another site. I don't trust those - they are too high. I have also recently learned that the BMR that MFP gave me is pretty much dead on.
    I don't have much wiggle room when it comes to calories and trying to lose weight so to me every calorie can count.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I have another question related to boobs and HRMs -

I wear a sports bra that contains underwire. Does anyone have experience with HRMs and underwire bras? I'm not even sure I could get the monitor to lay correctly on my chest because of the placement of the underwires. Any feedback is appreciated!

I wear underwire sports bras too and it doesn't bother me. The bottom of the bra lies right on top of the strap.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I have a polar too. Make sure you wet the electrodes on the back of the strap then attach transmitter. Put it on in the locker room bc one time I put kine on before I got there and lost signal.

That's interesting - I can wear my Polar FT7 all day long and get a signal the entire time. I wonder what about the locker room / gym travel made yours lose it?
  • dp1228
    Options

That's interesting - I can wear my Polar FT7 all day long and get a signal the entire time. I wonder what about the locker room / gym travel made yours lose it?

is it accurate to wear them all day? a couple of you have mentioned it already and now im wondering... i read somewhere (i dont even remember wheree at this point) that wearing it all day is kind of a bust. cant remember why or how they came up with that though.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    On the days I wore it all day long I was only curious to see how many calories I burned with normal activity. I didn't include any real exercise. I burned way more than this site thinks I do, but I fear it might be because I have a really abnormally high resting heart rate (between 95-110, the normal resting rate is 50-80 or something)

I can't see how it would adversely effect anything, it is still tracking the same stuff it tracks while you exercise, wether you wear it for 1 minute or 10,000 minutes.

It does, however, wear out the battery, I'm sure :tongue:
  • dp1228
    Options
    On the days I wore it all day long I was only curious to see how many calories I burned with normal activity. I didn't include any real exercise. I burned way more than this site thinks I do, but I fear it might be because I have a really abnormally high resting heart rate (between 95-110, the normal resting rate is 50-80 or something)

I can't see how it would adversely effect anything, it is still tracking the same stuff it tracks while you exercise, wether you wear it for 1 minute or 10,000 minutes.

It does, however, wear out the battery, I'm sure :tongue:

ahhh rightt!! thats what it was. the difference in peoples heartbeats! yeah im sure its not a big deal but i want to prolong the day i have to send it back for a battery change as long as possible so ill stick to just workouts :)
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I bought the Garmin 405CX HRM because it is 'supposed' to have a more accurate calorie count, plus I'm a hiker so I like the GPS tracking feature.

It has me input my gender, weight, age, and resting heart rate. It then calculates calories burned based on my HR through the workout as well as the above factors.

The best (or worst depending on how you think about it) is that after my workout, I can download the entire thing to my pc and view my HR throughout the session. I then send the links to my trainer so she can see how the workouts are going....
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I am heavy chested and I have the FT4. Just wet the sensors and make sure the strap is tight but comfortable and go for broke! I put mine directly under the fold of my breast, right up against my chest so its already covered lol. I have had no problems.

Your calories burned for that workout seems just about right.

Much success to you.
  • DestinedforSuccess
    Options
    I get a more accurate read when I don't wear the underwire bra. When I do wear one sometimes it'll say 00 for my hr when I'm clearly alive and working hard. Just hard to find a good sports bra that doesn't smush everything in your bra in one spot
  • kellytamburello
    kellytamburello Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chest straps are more accurate - if you can get them placed correctly (close enough to your heart). For the average B-C cup woman, this means right under your boobs, under your bra strap. For those of us quite a bit larger, under the boobs means closer to over the stomach than the heart. I have a chest strap that I can jam up painfully far under my bra and will achieve spotty contact when I am standing still. Once I start actually working out and bits start moving around, it slips down and forget it, it doesn't work. Hopefully, you don't have the problem I do. Someday maybe they'll make an accurate women's heart rate monitor that fits me. I'm not holding out hope. I can't use a "sports bra". I need the under-wire support. I use a regular under-wire bra.
  • fionauu
    fionauu Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I've been looking around for the polar ft4 watch and chest strap and cant seem to find it. Did you have to buy them separately? There aren't any bundles? if so, does it matter what kind of chest strap i get?

Sorry nevermind. i think the Polar H1 heart rate sensor is a chest strap, so they do come together. my mistake. i would take down this comment if i knew how lol
  • BreederUK
    BreederUK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I disagree with this advice. They are highly inaccurate.

could just get a wrist strap one. just saying. :happy:
  • stacey_rayner
    stacey_rayner Posts: 46 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Chest straps are more accurate - if you can get them placed correctly (close enough to your heart). For the average B-C cup woman, this means right under your boobs, under your bra strap. For those of us quite a bit larger, under the boobs means closer to over the stomach than the heart. I have a chest strap that I can jam up painfully far under my bra and will achieve spotty contact when I am standing still. Once I start actually working out and bits start moving around, it slips down and forget it, it doesn't work. Hopefully, you don't have the problem I do. Someday maybe they'll make an accurate women's heart rate monitor that fits me. I'm not holding out hope. I can't use a "sports bra". I need the under-wire support. I use a regular under-wire bra.

This ^^ been having problems and think because I'm an E cup, so I find it uncomfortable and not getting accurate results because it keeps sliding. I wear an underwrite sports bra as well. I have read the forums and noticed myself that I've NOT done some things, so taking on some of community suggestions for my chest strap, and hope to have better luck next time getting accurate result.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    YouTube has a lot of home made videos of people demonstrating how to wear an HRM chest strap. how do I know? Because I had the same questions when I got mine and the official Polar website just didn't seem to address them. Worth checking out.

The stats you included sound right... I burn about 430 calories in 65 minutes of brisk treadmill activity, with my heart rate between 130-150.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have sports bra with wire and other bras with wires that I wear at gym w my Polar FT7HRM and it doesn't effect the read outs. I usually tuck the strap under my bra bottom band so the monitor part that snaps onto the strap is covered by bottom of bra/wire. No issues and I have mine for 1 1/2 years.
    LBATL wrote: »
    I have another question related to boobs and HRMs -

I wear a sports bra that contains underwire. Does anyone have experience with HRMs and underwire bras? I'm not even sure I could get the monitor to lay correctly on my chest because of the placement of the underwires. Any feedback is appreciated!