are heart rate monitors worth the money?

Options
2»

Replies

• MikeK51
    MikeK51 Posts: 317
    Options
    I love mine too! I believe the Polar F6 is an older model no longer made (at least that is what they told me at the store).

I just got an FT7 (stands for Fitness Training) and also gives calories, and tells you if your working out in Fat Burning or Fitness Training mode. It keeps a history too. Not sure what the difference is between the FT7 and the FT4. It might be the chest strap. I have the Polar strap that is all plastic in the front with my treadmill and I think that is what comes with the FT4. The FT7 comes with a fabric strap and I find it a little more comfortable. But it does go for around $110 - $120, whereas the FT4 is around $70.

Note...the FT7 watch comes in different colors. Mine is black with a silver stripe. It fits me fine. I read they have an FT7f (female) but I did not see that at the store. I bought my son the FT7 that is black with a gold stripe (it has a women on the package). Even though it did not say this was for a women, the watch strap was smaller.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Even though my gym has HR on all of their machines, I would still like one for if I decide to go for a walk instead of to the gym, you know?

I never really got the point of most of the HRM's built into the machines at the gym. If you want a really accurate count, you have to hold onto it throughout the workout...but, you're not working out as hard as you can if you're not using your arms during the workout. I hate not being able to use my arms while on the elliptical or threadmill.
    Most machines will read your cheststrap

Mine is coded so it doesn't interfere.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I love mine too! I believe the Polar F6 is an older model no longer made (at least that is what they told me at the store).

I just got an FT7 (stands for Fitness Training) and also gives calories, and tells you if your working out in Fat Burning or Fitness Training mode. It keeps a history too. Not sure what the difference is between the FT7 and the FT4. It might be the chest strap. I have the Polar strap that is all plastic in the front with my treadmill and I think that is what comes with the FT4. The FT7 comes with a fabric strap and I find it a little more comfortable. But it does go for around $110 - $120, whereas the FT4 is around $70.

Note...the FT7 watch comes in different colors. Mine is black with a silver stripe. It fits me fine. I read they have an FT7f (female) but I did not see that at the store. I bought my son the FT7 that is black with a gold stripe (it has a women on the package). Even though it did not say this was for a women, the watch strap was smaller.

The FT4 has a fabric strap as well.
  • Ckonner
    Ckonner Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You all had terrific points. Thank you! I was thinking of the Polar F6. Any one have any reviews on that model or suggestions for a better one? I would like one that also counts calories burned but that doesn't cost over $120(I know that's asking a lot for very little $). Thanks again for all your helpful advice.

I have a Polar F6 - an older model - bought 3 years ago but it still works just as well as when I first got it. Highly recommended - for instance... I burned 451 calories doing 68 minutes doing low impact aerobics as per my HRM - If I were to log this workout under "Aerobics, low impact" for 68 minutes I would of burned 642 claories... THIS is why I LOVE my heart rate monitor - much more accurate. And I really work to keep my heart rate in my "burn" zone. It tells you when your heart rate is too fast or too slow - it will beep but you can turn that feature off once you kinda know your zone and just glance at it. Hope this helps with your decision...