Stay at home mom= no time to workout

Options
13»

Replies

• bdavenport62
    Options
    I'm a SAHM and I go to the gym at 5 am, waking up at 4. Sometimes I will work in doing the 30 day shred, which my 1 year old finds hilarious. When the weather is nicer I have a jogging stroller to use. I know it can be so hard, but you are worth making time for!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I say do it at night regardless of you wanting to relax. If it's a priority you will find the time.

I don't think you have to do 2 hours a day either, find a really hard core kick *kitten* program that can burn tons of calories in less time like 1 hour and you should still have some time to rest before bed (maybe try 30 day shred or insanity or P90X etc....there are tons of choices out there)

Good luck!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't know how old your kids are but at a certain point you can train them that workout time is "mommy" time and they should leave you alone. This was a requirement for me since we homeschool and I have four kids. From the time they were little I would set them up with an activity and tell them that when I turned off the TV I could talk again. Obviously the younger they are the more flexible and patient you have to be with something like this but they do learn. Just keep them somewhere nearby so you can keep an eye on them and don't make empty threats. If you have to deal with something, pause your video and deal with it but then get back to it. I always allowed mine to join in if they wanted to but they had a "special space" where they could work out and they had to stay out of my "special space". That way I wasn't tripping on them or smacking them in the head with my flailing arms!

Otherwise, all the suggestions in this thread should have given you some great ideas! Where there's a will, there's a way!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    No, you're not doomed. You have to make time. Get up early, yes it sucks, or stay up late, sucks equally. But if you are serious, take serious actions.
    this is what my doctor told me exactly...but actually...we re-budgeted and found enough money for me to join a gym that has on site child care. But if thats not an option for you, whether it be where you live or what have you, you may just have to wake a little extra early, or stay up a little extra late! or get the kiddos envolved.
  • parakeet
    parakeet Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That is funny,I try to remember the time how I did it when my kids were little.Now they are both in school,so it is not a problem.
    When my older son was in preschool and my little one was still with me I went to the Gym and she played in that gym daycare until I was done with my work out.When both were at home I tried to do it while their nap time.Yes it was a challenge.
    Maybe you can put your kids in the stroller and go for a nice run outside,if the weather is okay.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I work out in the afternoon while my youngest takes her nap and I let my 4yr old watch a short movie or join in with me. She understand that this is mommy's time. With that said my workouts range from 35-45 minutes and I think you have to feel realistic about that as a mom who's short on time. I've had great success counting calories and following my ChaLEAN Extreme program. It holds me accountable. You can do it--it's all about determination. Do it mama!!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have a 7yr old and 16month old, I stay at home too....the day is all about them and the night is all about me, I usually start working out at 9pm and end till 11pm+...at first with my baby it wasnt too easy but he got use to mommy working out and he enjoys watching Jillian Michaels on tv so he leaves me to do my thing....just do it girl!! they will get use to it.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    SAHM here. I get up a hour before my kids so that I get my workout in every morning. It sucks but it pays off. I get my time uniterupted
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom to 3 kids and I have all the time in the world to work out. I go to the gym at 6:00 AM when they (and hubby of course) are still asleep. I take them to the park, when it's not freezing. We play Wii Active and Wii Fit and Just Dance together. I know not everyone has that option. They have Exercise TV, you can do the Leslie Sansone walk at home, or yoga. Anything.