Substitution for mayo in tuna?

Options
Cytherea
Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
I'm trying to think of ways to make my tuna healthier. I have the low fat mayo, but I'd prefer to use something else.

I've considered plain yogurt, but I put pickles in my tuna, and I worry that it would sour the yogurt.

Has anyone tried to make tuna with a laughing cow wedge instead of mayo? I just thought of it.... no idea how it would taste though, so I wanted to ask if anyone else has done it first! Do you think that would be ok with pickles?

Any other idea on what I can use instead of mayo while keeping the tuna moist? I've heard of olive oil, but I would probably need way too much, and I'm not too sure I like the idea of oily tuna.

Replies

• seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I used fat free ranch in my tuna the other day and put it in a wrap. It was pretty good!
  • cheppy
    cheppy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I always put avocado in my tuna sandwiches because it keeps it moist and its also quite tasty.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    You can use fat free sour cream, plain Greek yogurt, mustard or some lite dressing. you really don't need much to make it stick together.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I use mayo with olive oil, just a little... and some mustard to help get the consistency I want.
  • marsruns
    marsruns Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i mix hummus into tuna or canned salmon - yum!
  • allie_00
    Options
    I use hummus but only because I looove it.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with mustard. Or apple cider vinegar. Most of the time I just eat it drained from the can on crackers or with spinach.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Avocado! I mash half an avocado, mix in tuna and add some chilli - fantastic.
    Not a lot lower in calories, but soooo good for you!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I use mustard and a little olive oil. A little goes a long way. I expected it to be gross after a lifetime of mayo-heavy tuna but it's really good :)
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    My bodybuilding friend told me he eats his tuna with mustard and I thought it sounded gross .... and then I tried it and I like it.
    Not good if you're watching your sodium though.

I love the idea of mixing avocado with it. Sounds delicious.
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I read on the message boards the other day, that someone uses the tostitos spinach artichoke dip with their tuna instead of mayo. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounded yummy! I like pickles with my tuna too!
  • littlelionesslove
    Options
    I just eat the tuna out of the can with a spoon.
  • Tamiash
    Tamiash Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I make mine with onion and some celery and mix in sugar free pickle relish.....very yummy. The relish holds it together.
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've used fat free sour cream and add sweet pickle to it and it's been yummy
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I think the laughing cow cheese would be amazing with it...
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Here's my version of tuna salad:

1 can solid white tuna
    juice of 1 lime
    1-2 T light Buttermilk ranch dressing
    1 t parsley
    Dash of Lemon Pepper seasoning

The lime juice is the key in this salad and very good in a wrap. Hope you try it and like it!
  • takingbackalison
    Options
    I've made mine with a tinnnnyyyy tiny amount of canola oil mayo (since thats what my mom buys but olive oil is probably better for you) and then some wishbone balsamic italian dressing and a lot of pepper. It was sooo good. especially with lettuce
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I always put avocado in my tuna sandwiches because it keeps it moist and its also quite tasty.

Yum, will have to try that!!
  • SKLSharon
    Options
    Since you like pickles try just using dill pickle relish and celery diced tiny! I don't like anything with a real strong fish taste and the dill helps calm that down.
  • TiredOfBeingRound
    TiredOfBeingRound Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've mixed my tuna with cottage cheese! Sounds kind of gross but its good. And is quite filling. Not sure about the pickles though.

Let me know if you try it and what u think!

Good luck!