Replies

• bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I just use Light Miracle Whip!
  • danibowron
    danibowron Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use a tablespoon of olive oil mayo and 2 tablespoons of FF greek yogurt and pickle relish per can of tuna. So yummy and you still get the "mayo" taste...
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    balsamic vinegar
  • sherrywoody1
    Options
    Have you tried Vegenaise? It is egg free but taste like the real thing. Yes it is a little pricey but it is good. Also I have put salsa in my tuna. I know by now everyone is going yeww, but it taste pretty good to and gives it a kick. :D
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I like sweet and spicey mustard with my tuna.
  • HollyLLillis
    HollyLLillis Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a ton of tuna. I will use one or two tablespoons of miracle whip then a teaspoon or two of mustard, add pepper, onion powder and garlic powder, chopped onions and celery.... the laughing cow sounds awsome to try and I am going to try that instead of the miracle whip... oh and if it seems dry I just add some water, not much just a teaspoon or two to make it more speadable for crackers.
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have used a dollup of FF greek yogurt or FF cottage cheese, depending upon what I have in the frig at the time. I have liked both and both are an added boost of protein with no added fat.
  • Redlebee
    Options
    My tuna gets a big squirt of lemon juice, a very small sprinkle of dry fat-free Hidden Valley ranch mix, and a very very small amount of low-fat mayo or olive oil. I also don't drain the tuna super dry, I leave a small bit of juice in.

The lemon juice helps mask the fishy flavor, and the ranch powder give it a little bit of a zip without the intensity of mustard.

Voila!
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love eating my tuna with low fat mayonaise and olive oil. I also eat it right out of the can with a spoon too. The avocado sounds delish, gotta try that one!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Don't drain the water it comes packed in entirely, keep enough to make the tuna nice and moist. Gives the same texture as the mayo but without the calories. From there I'll add a little flavor if I am in the mood: dash of hot sauce, mustard, garlic powder are some of the things I've put in it.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/tuna.asp
    I don't mean to be a downer but click on this site and check out the mercury content in tuna. You may never eat it again.
    It made me sick. I use to eat it a couple times a week. Not anymore!
    But if you have to: add a teaspoon of mustard (Mister Mustard Hot is great) to a tablespoon of low fat Mayo. and a teaspoon of sweet relish.
    If you like, 1 celery and 1 tablespoon of onion.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to think of ways to make my tuna healthier. I have the low fat mayo, but I'd prefer to use something else.

I've considered plain yogurt, but I put pickles in my tuna, and I worry that it would sour the yogurt.

Has anyone tried to make tuna with a laughing cow wedge instead of mayo? I just thought of it.... no idea how it would taste though, so I wanted to ask if anyone else has done it first! Do you think that would be ok with pickles?

Any other idea on what I can use instead of mayo while keeping the tuna moist? I've heard of olive oil, but I would probably need way too much, and I'm not too sure I like the idea of oily tuna.
  • lilscuder
    lilscuder Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just use Kraft No Fat Mayonaise. I can't tell the difference !
  • bad6402
    Options
    Fat Free Greek yogurt(plain)
    Maybe add lemon juice and black pepper
  • emilygough
    emilygough Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Growing up we often ate salad topped with cottage cheese and canned tuna. Very tasty, especially with shredded carrots and/or cucumber mixed in and yes, very filling!
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I LOVE laughing cow cheese with tuna...so yummy. I also like to use mustard as well.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i use miracle whip light you only need a little and it mixes real well. although you might try fat free italian dressing!
  • chris808
    Options
    I like to have tuna in spring water, drain the water and mix it with a small ripe avocado, chopped fresh chives (or sliced red onion) and perhaps a chilli. Taste is amazing.
  • Hotlips69
    Options
    Tuna with a lil mustard, green onions, chopped tomatoes, fresh lemon and sea salt and pepper! Delicious and fresh tasting
  • kaitlinfaith88
    Options
    Try Greek Yogurt. I use it to substitute a lot of my recipes that have mayo in them. The pickles shouldn't sour it. I also use greek yogurt for sour cream substitution.