donating plasma

Options
dkelz
dkelz Posts: 19 Member
I'm looking for a little advice here. I donate plasma twice a week untill I can get a job. The center I donate at gives asvice for what to eat and do the day of and before donating. But that doesn't address dieting issues. What should be my goal weight loss each week and should I not worry about calories consumed on the days I donate? I want to lose about a pound to 1.5 lbs a week. Is that too ambitious? I often feel weak on the donating days and will not exercise. And I do have to watch my fat intake always because it will clog the filter they use. Which brings up another question.......how does donating help lose weight? Does it filter enough fat to really make a weight loss difference? Any tips would be helpful! :tongue:

Replies

• Stina_Marie13
    Stina_Marie13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    They tell you not to drink the night before nor eat red meats. So before you go, have a good meal and possibly bring a snack. (all with in your calories of course) i dont know how it "helps" you lose weight. And make sure you drink LOTS of water.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body - if you feel too weak to work out on donating days, then don't work out those days. Maybe you could look at your calorie intake on a weekly basis instead of daily. So if 1500 x 7 = 10,500, then balance it out so that's how many calories you eat per week - more on donating days, less on the other days (of course, your numbers may vary).

I'm glad you've found something beneficial for others as a way to earn a little extra $$!
  • dkelz
    dkelz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body - if you feel too weak to work out on donating days, then don't work out those days. Maybe you could look at your calorie intake on a weekly basis instead of daily. So if 1500 x 7 = 10,500, then balance it out so that's how many calories you eat per week - more on donating days, less on the other days (of course, your numbers may vary).

I'm glad you've found something beneficial for others as a way to earn a little extra $$!

Thanks! I didn't even think to ration more calories one day from another! Ill try that! Good luck to all!
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I would exercise BEFORE you go and donate, then relax the rest of they day. I also donate. The fact that you are tired is more due to the fact that you need more "water" to fill the void from lost plasma.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    You do loose calories donating, I think a figure I saw somewhere was about 200 over a few days. I think there may be a little more since your body has to work to heat up the saline solution they put back in. I've lost a little weight donating before. I'd keep your calories at what MFP suggests and just call the little burn you get from donating a bonus. I know for me, I have a hard time keeping my iron level up where they want it, so I usually have a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, superdose my multivitamins, and have a fat fat cheeseburger for lunch. As long as you generally eat lean and drink a lot of water, your plasma won't be so fatty that they can't take it. You might donate slower though. I don't workout on donation days either, I just curl up in bed and sleep for a few hours.
  • Sexyjeng
    Sexyjeng Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I donated today and feel hungry now, but I only have 22 calories left today, so I'll drink some water and get to bed. I'll dream about cheeseburgers and brownie sundaes, lol.
  • ladyplaz
    ladyplaz Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I used to be an assistant manager at a Plasma Lab here in Arizona. Plasma is the watery part of your blood. You need to keep your water intake higher than normal the day before you donate. It will help with the weakness you feel after donating. be sure to also keep your fat intake down. Like you said, it clogs the filter. Be sure to not overindulge on the high iron foods (green leafy vegies and so forth) it can cause your iron to be to high and then you can't donate. But, the biggest things I stressed were no alcohol the day before, it will dehydrate you and you cannot donate. And, WATER. You have to drink plenty of water during the week. Water will help you feel fuller and thus you don't want to eat as much. So, will it help you lose weight, maybe. But, you are helping both yourself and others by donating and that is the best feeling. :smile:
  • RachelVon
    RachelVon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I donate plasma on tues/wed and work out mon/wed/fri it works for me!
  • Fuzzyjon13
    Options
    Most of your blood is all watery. Just saying.

It does increase your total cals over the week you should have.

The body varies person to person; my brother feels better when he eats Ramen before donating (look at the label and tell me that's good for plasma :-/). As for me I feel better after eating some form of meat after.

Drinking 12 cups of water every day of a week will help you donate but after; you will probably still be shaky.

The fact is its not only "water" that comes out and its not only leaving red blood cells in your stream.

My suggestion is ofc drink water. Exercise before hand Eat the stuff they say. Having something in your stomach track and ready to go helps. Then snack and eat SLOWLY till you feel good. Find your balance and you will be awesome.
  • BettyBoopoo
    BettyBoopoo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey ya!

I have been looking for this info FOREVER! Now that I found it I thought I better share. My Plasma bank takes 3 different amounts of plasma based on how much you weigh. You will have to ask your bank to see if their amounts are the same but here is the numbers for BioMetic

110 lbs - 149 lbs
    690 ml Plasma: 483.69 calories
    Protein 49.51 g
    Carbohydrates 63.65 g
    Fat 3.45 g

150 lbs -175 lbs
    825ml Plasma: 578.33 calories
    Protein 59.19 g
    Carbohydrates 76.11 g
    Fat 4.13 g

176 lbs - above
    880ml Plasma: 616.88 calories
    Protein 63.14 g
    Carbohydrates 81.18 g
    Fat 4.40 g
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You're donating plasma twice a week?
    In Australia you can't donate plasma within two weeks of each visit.
    As the person above me said - the amount taken is determined by body weight.
    The next time you are in your blood bank, ask to see the medical officer and discuss your weight loss and dietary guidelines with that person. He or she should be qualified to give you some reasonable advice.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    as others said, try to work out BEFORE you donate and drink lots and lots of water. see if you can find out about how many calories you lose by donating and eat those back as well.
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Honestly shocks me that you guys get paid for this stuff, in the UK we donate purely out of generosity, payment is illegal.

I know it's off topic, it just never ceases to amaze me.
  • schalldr
    schalldr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Honestly shocks me that you guys get paid for this stuff, in the UK we donate purely out of generosity, payment is illegal.

I know it's off topic, it just never ceases to amaze me.

That would make sense if it were blood donation for injured people but its plasma to help make meds for the profit of the med companies. I would never donate plasma without being paid.
  • Zerie
    Zerie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A- I donate, too. Twice a week. It's okay payment for an unemployed person who can't even afford walking shoes.

B- I wake up, eat a light breakfast, work out for 1-2 hours (light stuff), eat my lunch, then donate. The rest of the day is normal.

C- If you want to watch your iron, broccoli is an amazing source of iron! It's a miracle food! NO BURGERS!
  • jarelisrodriguez
    Options
    I don't know if it was a coincidence or what, but about 5 years ago I donated plasma (I'm actually going to start up again) and I lost weight.. A lot of weight. But then again, I don't know if it was because of donating and because I was "poor" I didn't really eat much so I didn't really gain weight ever. but not really sure. I quit going because I didn't have time.
  • LynLynn27
    LynLynn27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Omg!! I've Been looking for this information for forever!! Thanx! Cause i heard it makes you GAIN weight and I so didn't want that! And another thing it is illegal to pay fir donating plasma that's why you don't get paid for the plasma you get paid for the wait time it takes! :)
  • LynLynn27
    LynLynn27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You don't actually get paid for the plasma you get paid for the wait time! And it is not easy...so ya we deserve pay!