donating plasma

Options
2»

Replies

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I donated today and feel hungry now, but I only have 22 calories left today, so I'll drink some water and get to bed. I'll dream about cheeseburgers and brownie sundaes, lol.
    If you're legit hungry, you need to eat and re-evaluate your choices to include more lean protein. It will keep you satiated.
  • Luvtorun32
    Luvtorun32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been donating 2x a week for about a month and a half now. I lost 65 lbs before my son, and about 45 lbs after my son. My son is now 5 yrs old. I am an avid runner of 15 years 4 to 5 times a week, and a Poler of 6 months now. I have been at 162 lbs for almost 2 years no matter what I do, you name it. Just stuck. Well I had breast surgeon Sept. So did not run as much, obviously. And started donating plasma shortly after surgery. Not sure if one or the other or both kicked the weight loss in gear. Maybe the plasma donating. Maybe the rest from vigorous exercise allowed my body to regulate better...not sure. However within 2 months I lost 10 lbs. I'm now 152 lbs. And the weight loss has stayed. They actually asked me at the Plasma center if I was ok. Lol. Yes, I'm great, and started my running routine back up too. My goal is pre pregnancy weight of 145 lbs. Or 140 lbs to 145 lbs as a buffer (junk food lol). I'm happy and on my way!
  • livn4hevn
    livn4hevn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    aledba wrote: »
    I donated today and feel hungry now, but I only have 22 calories left today, so I'll drink some water and get to bed. I'll dream about cheeseburgers and brownie sundaes, lol.
    If you're legit hungry, you need to eat and re-evaluate your choices to include more lean protein. It will keep you satiated.

Looking at the depletion statistics that were mentioned above, I'd afford yourself that much macro room due to the loss! Dense proteins will really help! I always eat after a donation bc I can tell there is a loss there. Seeing actual numbers tells me I have room to indulge my inner fat girl a bit ;)
  • danboster
    danboster Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I donate both to help people and to make a little extra money. Its an involved process to do it and the company is making a profit off my plasma so why feel bad if I get paid also? In the UK does the company not make money? Time, physicals, pokes, discomfort. I'm happy to do it but if someones is making money off of it I should be too.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    danboster wrote: »
    I donate both to help people and to make a little extra money. Its an involved process to do it and the company is making a profit off my plasma so why feel bad if I get paid also? In the UK does the company not make money? Time, physicals, pokes, discomfort. I'm happy to do it but if someones is making money off of it I should be too.

Ignoring the sickening NHS privatisation du jour, no, the NHS should not make money from it. Not sure if you can donate privately. AFAIK It goes to the NHS and they'll give it to whoever needs it in hospitals, and the recipient would not be charged. Labs also use it (e.g. for feeding bloodborne parasite cultures) but I'm not sure if they buy it or not...I know it comes from the transfusion service, though.
  • pandahurst6
    pandahurst6 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have used this app on and off for about 7 years, when I first started everyone was so motivational and helpful! Now you see people on here who bash others because they have legit questions, because of personal opinion. I donate plasma, and I have a full time job, AND they compensate me for my time! Anyway, the amount of plasma they take is based on your weight, so the amount of calories your body loses during donations is different for the weight classes. Talk to your donation center, I'm sure if you are a regular donor you get the annual physical checkup. Talk to them AND your regular primary doctor to see what your best options are for diet to keep your Iron, protein, and other levels healthy for YOU! I know for my weight class donation takes 583 calories, so on donation days, I light exercise or use it as a stretch day, I add the donation into my exercise database on MFP manually, so that I can accurately keep on track with my intake and out take of calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Zerie wrote: »
    A- I donate, too. Twice a week. It's okay payment for an unemployed person who can't even afford walking shoes.

B- I wake up, eat a light breakfast, work out for 1-2 hours (light stuff), eat my lunch, then donate. The rest of the day is normal.

C- If you want to watch your iron, broccoli is an amazing source of iron! It's a miracle food! NO BURGERS!

I first learned I was anemic when I was turned away from donating blood. I like broccoli, and eat it all the time, but the idea of it as a good source of iron for someone who really needs to watch iron is laughable.

I'd have to eat 9.5 cups of broccoli to get the same amount of iron as 2 oz of Wellshire liverwurst.

119beb1d43c631660d8b86cecad892e9.png

I'm sensitive to the exploitation of animals, but I wish people who promote plant-based iron sources would include some facts.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Zerie wrote: »
    A- I donate, too. Twice a week. It's okay payment for an unemployed person who can't even afford walking shoes.

B- I wake up, eat a light breakfast, work out for 1-2 hours (light stuff), eat my lunch, then donate. The rest of the day is normal.

C- If you want to watch your iron, broccoli is an amazing source of iron! It's a miracle food! NO BURGERS!

I first learned I was anemic when I was turned away from donating blood. I like broccoli, and eat it all the time, but the idea of it as a good source of iron for someone who really needs to watch iron is laughable.

I'd have to eat 9.5 cups of broccoli to get the same amount of iron as 2 oz of Wellshire liverwurst.

119beb1d43c631660d8b86cecad892e9.png

I'm sensitive to the exploitation of animals, but I wish people who promote plant-based iron sources would include some facts.

I had a pound and a half of roasted broccoli for lunch yesterday (I really, really love broccoli) and it was just 25% of my daily RDA for iron. And that was a lot of broccoli, much more than many people would want to eat in a sitting. Broccoli is an okay source of iron, I'd never call it amazing.
  • Randomthings32
    Randomthings32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Losing 1.5lbs a week doesn't sound too ambitious. I require 2500 calories a day, and I eat about 1300 a day, and then have a cheat day where I eat around 3000, so on average I eat 1600 calories a day. Since 1 pound of fat is 300 calories, I have a 2 pound loss every week. Now, I don't actually see that loss. It depends on what I eat or drink before I weigh myself, and if I pooped or not. If I eat before I weigh in, it looks like I didn't lose anything. But if I eat the same thing and drink the same amount before I weigh in, I see I've lost about 3-4 pounds in my two weeks so far. I eat a lot of lean chicken, and protein shakes all day long. 4oz chicken is 110 calories, and a protein shake is 140 calories. I usually have a big breakfast with oats, eggs, and a yogurt. This way I get lean protein so that I don't ever go too low to donate. I personally don't ever feel sluggish on donation days. I workout 4 times a week and have no problem workout out on donation day. Although, most of the time I make sure to get my workout in before I donate. That's probably why I don't notice the effects. I also drink at least 100 oz of water every single day, and that is generously low. The protein shakes really help get the water though. I haven't drank any milk since I've been on my diet. P.S. Some times I have more cheat days than others. So...If I had 3000 calories twice a week, I'd be at an average of 1,785 calories, which would be about your 1.5lbs a week deficit. So if I chose to have a third day of 3000 calorie cheating, the trend would say that I can still lose 1lb a week! Man, I need to have more cheat days! Just kidding.
  • Altom1962
    Altom1962 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i have high triglycerides (which is fat in your blood) i take medication for it which helps somewhat but not much ..donating plasma filters fat out my veins ( you can see it in a filter ) it helps tremendously. I donate twice a week and I feel like a new man every time afterwards. Anyone else has same experience?