Clothes must be made bigger now?

Options
13»

Replies

• TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    So, I figure the only reasonable explanation is that clothes must be made bigger than they were 10 years ago.
    You are right, it's called vanity sizing.

Apparently clothing manufacturers have found that there are more fat people who are willing to buy their brand if it means they can still wear a size X than there are people who actually want accurate and helpful labelling.

Personally, if I ran the world, I'd make it illegal to sell clothing that was incorrectly labelled, as clearly it is not fit for purpose.

If I buy a UK size 12 (which is currently about a size US 6 or even 4!!!) garment, I expect it to fit my UK size 12 body!!! Is that REALLY too much to ask??? :explode:

(sorry about the rant but it really REALLY annoys me that I can no longer rely on sizing)
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if the clothes are bigger. YOU are smaller, and you rock. <3
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing. Depending on the brand, they may be a labeled a few sizes smaller than other brands, or a whole lot. And as companies try to out compete each other for customers, they vanity size more and more, so yes, its a fair bet that clothes are made bigger than 10 years ago. How much smaller, I can't really tell you, I don't think there's a schedule for that....

Fun fact, when she was alive, Marilyn Monroe was a size 16, in the 90's, her measurements would have equaled a 12, and now, depending on the brand, someone with her measurements would fit between a 6 and a 10.

Yep, noticed that years ago. Sure makes you feel nice though.:laugh:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Yep, noticed that years ago. Sure makes you feel nice though.:laugh:
    Which is precisely the mentality which has led to manufacturers lying on their labels.

Me, I'd much rather face the truth about my size, than hide behind clothes manufacturers' marketing bullshyt.
  • smbyrd13
    smbyrd13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    In my closet, I have pants that are 4s,6s,8, and 10s....all fit me well! Just depends on the brand/cut of pant, drives me crazy!
  • looking4lisa
    looking4lisa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're bigger...I think they're smaller!! I took my 5'4 109 lb daughter to Aeropostale last weekend and she had to buy a LG sweatshirt....my jaw dropped!!! And she's not an adolescent or oddly shaped...she's 23 and what I would consider a very small build.. Then we went to Penny's and she had to get a med Nike sweatshirt. Let me also mention, she'a a 32AA.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! You're just smaller so get use to it :smile:
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Yes. In high school in the late 80s, I wore a size 10. Now, at the same weight and almost the same measurements, I wear a 4. :huh:
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I agree with the vanity sizing. And that yes, some things do seem to be made bigger.

BUT I had a friend make this observation to me: Fifteen years ago, you were shopping in the junior's section, right? And yes. Those clothes *are* cut smaller. Now that I'm not shopping in the teeny bopper section, the cuts are more forgiving. But they were probably always that way.

I think all of the above are true!
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!

Sizing is wacky... yet another reason not to get hung up on those numbers. :)
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Well being I have NEVER been a single digit size until now, Im taking my 6 and 8's and running with it!! :) Im 5'9 150ish pounds...down from 246 in march of last year...maintaing since the end of aug 2011

You've lost an amzaing amt of weight too...just enjoy it!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing is out of control.
    Only some manufacturers are picking up the low end so my wife(and I presume many women) are having trouble finding clothes small enough.
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I came across a Pencil Skirt I wore in 1982 (im not sure why I had it- it was with a few of my Moms things) Anyway, I weighed 105# when I wore that skirt (5' 3") The waist band measured 24"!

guess what size it was....Id say in todays sizes it would be a 0 or maybe a 2.

it was a size 8!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!