OT:What do you do for a living ?

Options
kimber607
kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
Hi

Just curious what everyone does for a living...and what do you really want to be doing for a living (feel free to add your DH's or significant other's info)

I've been a SAHM for 4 yrs now...
When I was younger I always new I didn't want an office/computer job..
I was fascinated by TV and wanted to work (I wasn't exactly sure in what aspect) but behind the scenes...so after graduating HS, I desperately wanted to move from Nj to CA
That didn't fly over well with the fam...so I headed to college where I majored in anthropology (ok, laugh away...I couldn't wait to get my degree and get out of there)
Moving to CA after graduation didn't happen, I was offered a job at a consulting firm as a 401K/403B plan administrator...a thrilling job *eye roll* and everything I always knew I didn't want to do
Before I poked out my eyeballs on the job, I transferred internally to human resources where I worked as a college recruiter for 7-8yrs....LOVED being out of the office and traveling constantly...
I'm actually looking forward to getting back to work when the kids are in school....

DH works in the publishing field in NYC
Initially he wanted to be a lawyer...I think he watched one too many episodes of LA Law and didn't know what he was getting into when he decided he wanted to pursue law
He wound up dropping out of law school and has been working with the same publishing house for 12-13+ yrs
He's one of this people that make you want to puke because he loves his job so much...LOL

Well, that's my exciting story :)
Kim

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Just curious what everyone does for a living...and what do you really want to be doing for a living (feel free to add your DH's or significant other's info)

I've been a SAHM for 4 yrs now...
    When I was younger I always new I didn't want an office/computer job..
    I was fascinated by TV and wanted to work (I wasn't exactly sure in what aspect) but behind the scenes...so after graduating HS, I desperately wanted to move from Nj to CA
    That didn't fly over well with the fam...so I headed to college where I majored in anthropology (ok, laugh away...I couldn't wait to get my degree and get out of there)
    Moving to CA after graduation didn't happen, I was offered a job at a consulting firm as a 401K/403B plan administrator...a thrilling job *eye roll* and everything I always knew I didn't want to do
    Before I poked out my eyeballs on the job, I transferred internally to human resources where I worked as a college recruiter for 7-8yrs....LOVED being out of the office and traveling constantly...
    I'm actually looking forward to getting back to work when the kids are in school....

DH works in the publishing field in NYC
    Initially he wanted to be a lawyer...I think he watched one too many episodes of LA Law and didn't know what he was getting into when he decided he wanted to pursue law
    He wound up dropping out of law school and has been working with the same publishing house for 12-13+ yrs
    He's one of this people that make you want to puke because he loves his job so much...LOL

Well, that's my exciting story :)
    Kim
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I'm finally getting the chance to do what I've wanted since my son was born...be a stay at home mom.:smile:
    I left behind my law enforcement career to finally take this big step and I'm feeling pretty lucky to be able to do it.
  • casey34472
    casey34472 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I work in a deli for the last 3 yrs.Yeah! No not really. I've always wanted to work with animals (dogs & cats) Vet or a pet groomer. I hope one day soon I will have the time and money to go to school but time fly so fast.:frown:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm an elementary teacher, which is what I've always wanted to be. Actually, that's my 2nd choice. I can't wait to be a stay at home mom - play dates, PTA, cooking more meals, and watching the kids grow up. Can't really do it without kids yet...

My husband is, what I call, a professional student. He's working on his DMA - doctorate of musical arts. He's a percussionist (drummer) and teaches lessons, plays in orchestras, does marching band, travels, etc. He loves it, but I am eager for him to be a bread-winner so I can have some babies.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Before having my daughter I worked as an assistant director and a daycare. But I knew once I had kids I would stay home. So now I'm doing my dream job:smile:
    After I have all my kids and they are in school I'm thinking of opening my own business or getting into teaching.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • JennyBanker
    JennyBanker Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom and I run my own Daycare. I love children and I love my job. It can be a headache at times but Those little smiles and all those hugs are well worth it all. My husband works in warehousing full time and he started his own business as a financial consultant. Once he builds his business up he will do that full time. And the kids job are to learn, paly and have fun, ooh also keep their mom on her toes. :happy:
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    I work as a Patient Care Technican and go to Nursing school, both fulltime.
    I was a Financial Analyst and Database Administrator in my first career. Company started saving costs on these expensive IT guys, Fianace sector did not do to well. I had to look for a new job twice within 18 month. Always wanted to work in the medical field and was a paramedic in the army (German army). So after thinking a long time whether I am too old for that or not ( I am NOT of course!) I went back to school. Has been a long trip since then. I switched schools, that cost me an extra year. Then I had to drop a clinical class because it was too much with working full time. Couldn't find anybody to pay my bills, so reducing school was the only option:wink: . I'll be done in 2 years Plan is to travel as a nurse after that. So I'll be visiting all the places you guys recommend. Or not. Live sometimes takes unexpected turns.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I left Oregon when I was 18 and moved to NJ to start my career as a nanny! I was there almost 2 years and then went back to Oregon, where I did some odd jobs for a bit before returning to the East Coast as a nanny again. I have lived in Connecticut, Long Island and Westchester County, NY as a nanny before I stopped doing that a few years ago.

I got my Associate's degree in Business Administration/Management and started getting experience in that. I did some temp jobs at first and then worked as a legal assistant and an editorial assistant at a publishing company.

The job I had been working at when I got pregnant had cut my hours to part-time and in my 2nd trimester we decided it would be fine for me to stay home and prepare for the baby and I have been home with him since. I adore him! I have been doing some babysitting part-time for a friend of mine on Fridays and Saturdays but that will end at the end of this month. I am looking for another part-time babysitting gig for now just to bring in a little extra cash (one in which I can bring my son with me).

I COULD put him in daycare and get back into office work but I just want to be with him and am focusing on anything that can make that happen. We are also looking to possibly get pregnant again this Fall...so I definitely need a flexible job.

Now, after having such success with weight-loss and learning SO much the last few months, I am very interested in pursuing my Bachelors of Science in Nutrition to become a nutritionist. I am hoping this is something I can work towards slowly while my child(ren) are young and then I can get into full-time work when they are in school.
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have been a stay at home mom for the past year, but before that I worked as a clinical social worker in a children's mental health agency and worked at a middle school as well. My husband is in agriculture. I am happy being a stay at home mama, but loved my jobs too!
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am an e-6 in the United States Coast Guard and I work with the Air Force in Law Enforcement(somebody has to train them:))in San Antonio. I am also working on a phsychology degree with an eventual Phd in clinical psychology.
    DH works mostly in New Orleans as a construction coordinator/auditor in the movie industry (read accountant for movie sets) we have "procured" lots of parts of movie and tv sets (lke lamps, tile, hardwood, and even a set of towels lol) to renovate our house...lol
  • jbeasinger
    jbeasinger Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm the Culligan man!!!!!
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm a labor and delivery nurse! Love being a part of peoples' most exciting moments in their lives!
  • aaubrey
    Options
    I'm a labor and delivery nurse! Love being a part of peoples' most exciting moments in their lives!

I thought about doing that, with both my kids the L& D nurse was the one that did all the coaching and cheerleading. I dont think I could have gotten through it 16hr and 13 hrs without them. I sent them both flowers afterward. Thank you for what you do there are people who appreciate it!!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

That would be an AWESOME job!!!!! WOW! I can't wait to have another baby! Even knowing I will most likely have to have another c-section....whatevaa!! BRING IT ON!!!! :bigsmile:
  • amylebo
    amylebo Posts: 23
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom. I had my daughter April 11, 2006 and I quit my job two weeks before she was born. I have my bachelor's degree in health care administration. I have not looked for a job here because it was more beneficial for me to stay at home than putting Lauryn in daycare. My husband is in the Army. We will be leaving here soon and will be moving to San Antonio in February. I want to continue staying home with her, but my husband wants me to go back to work. So we will see!
  • aaubrey
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom. I had my daughter April 11, 2006 and I quit my job two weeks before she was born. I have my bachelor's degree in health care administration. I have not looked for a job here because it was more beneficial for me to stay at home than putting Lauryn in daycare. My husband is in the Army. We will be leaving here soon and will be moving to San Antonio in February. I want to continue staying home with her, but my husband wants me to go back to work. So we will see!

Your daughter is beautiful (and oddly looks a lot like my daughter with the strawberry hair.:smile: ) If you are gonna be stationed on Medina or Lackland and ever want a workout buddy to kick ya in the butt let me know when you get here:)
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm a clinical microbiologist and am going to start my doctoral degree in the fall so I can be a lab director.

I visited the career center last year for resume advice and found out that I'm really what's called "avocational"
    I want to be a lady of leisure! :laugh: :laugh:

Better start buying those lottery tickets I guess.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm a network administrator/systems technician for a medical imaging/software company. Basically when they talk about new software that can turn CT scans and Xrays into full 3d images that doctors can dissect and stuff with computers - thats us.

Its great work, I love the company, and they're really helping me get my career off the ground.
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options

The L& D nurse actually delivered my son. The doc was too busy talking out in the hallway! Oh don't worry, he didn't forget to send the bill :wink: :huh:
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I am a Graphic Designer.
    I work for myself out of my family room. Been doing art for the same company for 15 years. Before I had my first, I took some of the franchisees, gave them a cheaper price than my boss at the time, and have been at home with my kids since 1999. It's easy work, I can do it in my pj's and still be with my kids.