OT:What do you do for a living ?

Options

Replies

• CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My first job is MOM, Then WIFE, Then SURGICAL TECH/SURGERY ASSISTANT :happy:

I LOVE my job as a ST! I get to scrub and work hand and hand with the surgeons. I've always been extremely fascinated by the mechanics of the human body and getting to peek inside and see first hand how things work...I can't even explain how awesome that is! :happy:
    It really is a great job!
    My favorites are OB/GYN, Podiatry/Ortho and General. Neurology us to be one of my #1 favorites, but all the Neuro surgeons left our town :frown:
    Kel~ :flowerforyou:

I'm a surgical technologist also!!! How strange... Usually people look at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them my job title! I don't usually meet many other ST's!

I work in Labor and Delivery, have for the past 5.5 years. I'm also a nursing student (hence the name).

Do you scrub anything besides OB? Isn't that funny I have never scrubbed a C Section! The L&D was up stairs and they just used the RN's. The only C Section I have ever seen was my husband's daughter. Her OB/GYN loves me :happy: I scrub for him a lot in the main O.R. and her nurse was one of my very good friends so they let me in the room with her. Plus she wanted me there. I was neat to see my step grand baby come into the world. :smile:
    Yes we are a rare find LOL! And how cool is our job...I just love what I do! :bigsmile:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I'm a pole dancer hoping to get my body back so I can start working something other than day shift. :tongue:
  • CyclingDiva
    Options
    I'm a pole dancer hoping to get my body back so I can start working something other than day shift. :tongue:

OMG YOU ARE SO STINKIN' FUNNY!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Do you scrub anything besides OB?

:noway:

No way! I despise the Main OR. :laugh:

Ortho? No thanks, saws and drills aren't my kind of instruments
    Plastics? Nah, we have other uses for Army/Navy's besides stuffing things into boobies :laugh:
    ENT? I have a thing about Eyes, Noses, and Ears... so nope.. they creep me out!!!

Gimme some Grave's spec's, Braun tenaculums, a pair of Simpson-Luikharts and a pair of Gelpis and I'm good! :bigsmile:

I started in L&D, never went to school, got REALLY lucky and got OJT! :bigsmile:

I love what I do!
  • CyclingDiva
    Options

Do you scrub anything besides OB?

:noway:

No way! I despise the Main OR. :laugh:

Ortho? No thanks, saws and drills aren't my kind of instruments
    Plastics? Nah, we have other uses for Army/Navy's besides stuffing things into boobies :laugh:
    ENT? I have a thing about Eyes, Noses, and Ears... so nope.. they creep me out!!!

Gimme some Grave's spec's, Braun tenaculums, a pair of Simpson-Luikharts and a pair of Gelpis and I'm good! :bigsmile:

I started in L&D, never went to school, got REALLY lucky and got OJT! :bigsmile:

I love what I do!

You are cracking me up. I HATE ENT as well and never have to scrub it hahah!
    I never liked eyes, but somehow became a personal scrub for the eye doc in our group ( going on my 3rd yr with him). He works on Wednesday and doesn't let anyone else scrub with him. Last week I was on vacation so he canceled a whole day of surgery because I wasn't going to bet there. There is an RN he has worked with for 9 yrs, she does scrub me out for lunch, but that is it. Just the two of us with him all the time..He's a BRAT! But I love him to death :smile:
    But I LOVE ORTHO, the saws, the drills, the whole bit! It's awesome!
    My ultimate favorite is GYN though. I'm the one with the most knowledge about GYN where I work. Everyone comes to me when there is questions. We all have our strengths in different fields that is for sure. So between the 4 full time techs and 1 part time, we balance each other out :happy:
    Kel~
    p.s. You guys use Gelpis for sections...geeezzz don't puncture the babies head :noway: hahaha! J/K! I hate those darn things. They are about as bad as a spring retractor!
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options

OMG YOU ARE SO STINKIN' FUNNY!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dang, I believed what Princess said!:sad: :sad:

Can't even trust Princesses no more...:ohwell:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options

She's just lafughing because I'm actually "afternoon shift..." Day shift is for the scarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry girlies! Afternoon shift here! Woot-woot!
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options

She's just lafughing because I'm actually "afternoon shift..." Day shift is for the scarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry girlies! Afternoon shift here! Woot-woot!

Decent Buffet though.....
  • mwildmann
    mwildmann Posts: 6
    Options
    I am an associate publisher for a travel magazine. We owned a small motel in Moab Ut for 4 years and sold it this last spring. It was a life style not a job.

DH has worked for AAA national headquarters for 30 years and currently is an account manager for HI, CO, WY and AK. He sells display ad in the TourBooks for those areas.
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options

Decent Buffet though.....

Are you sure that isn't "barffet?" GAG!!! Talk about "Catch of the Day!" >>gag<<
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    RN:

Did Labor/Delivery for 3 years. Good job for anyone interested! I had to stop though, it wasn't fulfilling to me. I guess I'm an adrenaline junkie as my favorite things about the job were when I got to "catch" the baby because the doctor didn't make it on time, or when (and I don't know how to say this without sounding terrible.. I don't mean it to be terrible!) or when something GOES WRONG. I like the stress of having to be completely "on" in the moment. Do everything and do it right. Summon the correct players, get the IV in the newborn on the first try. You're moving quickly, thinking 10 steps ahead of where you currently are, while staying calm and in control.

But, simultaneously, no one wants anything to go WRONG. in OB. Not even me :tongue: so it wasn't the best place for me. Thankfully, never had to deal with the death of a baby, for maybe it would have ruined the "good stress" aspect for me.

I also really enjoy the labor support aspect of the job, but "nursing" gets in the way of it. All the requisite charting, all the "policies and procedures" like fetal monitoring every 30 minutes even though you know the baby is fine and the woman just wants to walk. I can't stand that part. I love being there for a completely drug-free labor, the intensity of labor support that goes into it, but at least where I'm at.. that happens so rarely these days, that I only got to do it about twice a year... not enough.

So..

Where did that land me?

adrenaline junkie moved to the ER. It's a better fit for me.

And I save my labor/delivery skills for when my friends have their babies. That way I can be there in the part that I like best, support, and not have to worry about the extraneous stuff.

(Other half is a middle school social studies/history/geography teacher and High school Cross Country/Track coach)
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options

You are cracking me up. I HATE ENT as well and never have to scrub it hahah!
    I never liked eyes, but somehow became a personal scrub for the eye doc in our group ( going on my 3rd yr with him). He works on Wednesday and doesn't let anyone else scrub with him. Last week I was on vacation so he canceled a whole day of surgery because I wasn't going to bet there. There is an RN he has worked with for 9 yrs, she does scrub me out for lunch, but that is it. Just the two of us with him all the time..He's a BRAT! But I love him to death :smile:
    But I LOVE ORTHO, the saws, the drills, the whole bit! It's awesome!
    My ultimate favorite is GYN though. I'm the one with the most knowledge about GYN where I work. Everyone comes to me when there is questions. We all have our strengths in different fields that is for sure. So between the 4 full time techs and 1 part time, we balance each other out :happy:
    Kel~
    p.s. You guys use Gelpis for sections...geeezzz don't puncture the babies head :noway: hahaha! J/K! I hate those darn things. They are about as bad as a spring retractor!

Nah, I "scrub" vaginal deliveries too. We sometimes use them if there is a 4th degree laceration... YIKES! They scare me! L&D scrubs are a little different from OR scrubs, that's why they hate us LOL We of course scrub the C/S but also BTL's, D&C's and Hysts (usually only if a c/s goes really bad, otherwise we send them down to the main OR) I kid if I have to scrub a Hyst, I start shouting for a "real" OR scrub tech to come up and relieve me LOL :laugh: Haven't scrubbed one of those in about 3 years, I'm not sure if I remember what a Heaney looks like! :laugh:

If we're not scrubbing, we stock the unit, act like a secretary, attend deliveries, process our instruments, order supplies. Lots of other stuff.

I don't know how you do the eyeball cases... YUCK!!! :sick:
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am a student right now. I am interested in going to medical school and becoming a surgeon.
  • butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I WAS A STAY AT HOME MOM FOR 18 YEARS. I TOOK A 2 YEAR COURSE IN COMPUTER OPERATER IN 9 MONTHS AND GOT MY FIRST JOB AS DATA ENTRY OPERATOR. FROM THERE I WORKED IN UNION CARBIDE; WORKERS COMPENSATION AS A SECRETARY. FINALLY GOT A JOB WITH DMV RECOREDS DEPARTMENT AS OPTICAL IMAGE SCANNER. I REALLY LIKED THAT. I AM NOW DISABLED. :ohwell: I KEPT HAVING A EAR ACHE FOR A LONG, LONG TIME AND MY FAMILY DOCTOR DID A MRI. WELL, SURPRISE, SURPRISE, I HAVE AN ACCOUSTIC NEUROMA BRAIN TUMOR. :sad: 80% WAS REMOVED AND THE REST IS STILL IN MY BRAIN. SO FAR IT IS STABLE. NOW, I AM A STAY AT HOME WIFE WHO ENJOYS BEING ALIVE.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Musician, sahm.......
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I am a paralegal in a small law firm (2 attorneys). The firm concentrates on Workers' Compensation, personal injury, and Social Security Disability claims. I found my career niche at the age of 40 when I was going through a divorce and needed a better income. I went back to college, graduated with honors, and have been with the same firm since day 1(nine years and counting...)!

Prior to becoming a paralegal, I tried being a real estate agent, but found it was not the field for me due to unpredictable hours and unpredictable income....I was raising 2 teens by myself and we needed some structure and some cash!!

Before that experiment, I had been in a variety of positions: at-home mom/school volunteer, retail clerk, at-home day care provider for up to 8 kids, and certified occupational therapy assistant in geriatrics.

I am starting school in the fall to become a paralegal thats my first step into the legal field hopefully I won't get discouraged and will continue on to become a lawyer
  • jamieerindesigns
    Options
    I am a technical designer for a high end golf apperal company, Cutter and Buck, I work on men's and ladies knits based of of Seattle. I actually just did a fashion show last Thurday with some of my own clothes and got a hoodie picked up by a local boutique! SO EXCITING, so hopefully in a few years or so Ill have my own line of hoodies :embarassed:
  • Koozy81
    Koozy81 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Im a medical assistant for an Endocrinologist...nothing more, nothing less-
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm the accounts payable clerk for a small company that buys and sells aircraft evacuation equipment.
  • sassycat
    sassycat Posts: 108
    Options
    I would love to be a stay-at-home mom, but we can't afford it.

I am a payroll associate for Nestle Purina PetCare at Bloomfield, MO. (Kitty Litter Plant--not the Chocolate Plant- :laugh: ). I am working towards an Accounting Degree (classes at night)--Hopefully one of these years, I will be able to receive my CPA license.

My signifcant other--He has his own business in Construction/Remodeling.