VEGETARIANS and PROTEIN

Options
2»

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    quinoa is becoming more common.. my walmart has it now. :)
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I'm all about HEMP! It has all the essential amino acids and lots of fiber. I tend to be low on protien too. I use Trader Joes Hemp Protien Powder in my morning smoothie with a tbsp of PB and a banana. It comes out to 20g of protien and 17g fiber. Seriously jumpstarts my day! I also snack on nuts and put seeds on my salads.

Nutritional yeast is a nice additive too. I mix it into refried beans, sauces, even stews. It can add a cheesy-lke flavor and packs 9 grams of protien plus loads of vitamins including the b's.

Thanks! Where can I find nutritional yeast in the grocery store?

Usually you can find it in the organics section or with the vegetarian foods. I've been a veg my entire life and it's just now starting to be stocked in 'normal' stores. I used to have to go to specialty nutrition stores to buy it.
    If you can't find it check out the Braggs site. They have great stuff also try Bobs Red Mill...it's where I get all my grains.

I still haven't seen it in the regular grocery store, but I'm going to look more closely next time. I get annoyed having to slpit up my shopping sometimes just to get what I need at decent prices. lol But I do it anyway. Whole Foods has it in the bulk section. But I found it cheaper at Better Health Market.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Bump - I get this problem too!
  • kirstinlee
    kirstinlee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Try Morning Star Farms soy foods... They have a range of foods from Chik'n to sausage, and two sausage patties have 20 grams of protein and only 160 calories...
    It was some of my favorite stuff when I was a vegetarian.
    I was getting upwards of 60 grams a day just by eating a few patties and a couple hamburger patties (pretty much my only source of protein)... and I lost 20 pounds doing it.
    Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • liveskinny
    Options
    cottage cheese has tons of protein & is low in fat
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    One thing that makes being veggie healthy is that it's hard to overdo the proteins. Too much protein can deplete your calcium stores, which would help explain so many bone problems in richer countries. Why aim above the protein necessary?

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

Just thought I should present a different angle.