OT: An eye-opener

Options
2»

Replies

• watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that you are both safe and that is what really matters. Things can be replaced, people can't. My husband works for ADT and has been extremely busy. I guess people do desparate things in hard times, but that is still no excuse for breaking into someone elses home and stealing another's property!

Take care!
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that! Glad no one was hurt!

My house was broken into right after Christmas.. I was home.. alone... in the potty! Of all places! It's always been my worst fear to be in there and someone break in... and it happened!

I flushed the toilet and scared them away thank goodness!
  • BreaNix
    BreaNix Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about the the site and the people here too!!!

I am so sorry that you have to go through such a scary situation. I've been through that before and it gives me the willies just thinking about it.

I wish you the best of luck at recovering the computer and recovering your peace of mind. I'm also glad that you and your partner are safe. :flowerforyou:

hugs:flowerforyou:
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    I feel the same way about the the site and the people here too!!!

I am so sorry that you have to go through such a scary situation. I've been through that before and it gives me the willies just thinking about it.

I wish you the best of luck at recovering the computer and recovering your peace of mind. I'm also glad that you and your partner are safe. :flowerforyou:

hugs:flowerforyou:

Thank you for the kind words! I sure hope that we are able to get the computer back as well. I will try to keep everyone updated as I find out more details.
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    Well, no break-in last night,but I didn't get much sleep. I was up until about 3:30 and got up at 8:30. I'm very tired, but feeling slightly better..yay! We're buying those alamrs that go on the windows and doors and installing them today. Hopefully I'll sleep better tonight.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I know that I don't post on here a whole lot, but I do read the messages and follow the stories on here, but I do consider you guys like a family to me so I wanted to let you know what happened last night.

My house was broken into during the middle of the night. In all of the places I've ever lived in, I've never had this experience before. Luckily, no one was hurt and the only thing that was taken was my partner's laptop computer. The scariest part is that we were both home and sleeping..unforunately it was so hot that we had the room air conditioner and two fans going so we didn't hear anything happening. It's been an eye-opening experience for sure. I just want to thank everyone here for all of their support, even if I don't say it much, I really love it here!

If it means anything I've been there... had 2 laptops, my ex's purse, and a tin full of sentimental knicknacks stolen when our apartment was burglarized. Worst part of the whole experience was how much of a failure i felt... like it was my responsibility to protect the apartment and everyone here and that I failed. I know it wasn't my fault, but the what ifs just hit too deep. Just don't let 'what ifs' get to you. It'll mess with you really bad. Its over, secure your place and move on.

Did the police say anything? The cop we had basically just said 'welcome to the neighborhood' and left.
  • anewbeginning
    anewbeginning Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    wow...what a violation. I know exactly how you feel because years ago my home was burglarized. Fortunately we weren't at home at the time. The thief entered though a small den window that was left open because of the summer heat. They removed the screen and were in. They stole thousands of dollars worth of sentimental jewelry, electronics, cash, and trashed our home in the process of looking for things to steal. It was the worst feeling I've ever felt! I couldn't sleep for nights on end after that and my feeling of being safe in our home did a fast fade. We installed an alarm system after that and it helped somewhat. But the feeling of being violated never truly left until we moved away from that home and area. I wish you well and hope you take all measures to secure your home. God Bless.
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yikes!! That is my worst fear!! I am glad you are safe!!!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    that is HORRIBLE!!!!! But this is true its good that no one was hurt, material good like computers are replaceable lives and items with sentimental value are not. I am glad you are ok:flowerforyou:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    grey - I am so sorry that this happened to you! I can understand having a hard time sleeping. I hope that the alarms help to renew a feeling of being safe in your own house.

I'm glad you are both OK, and hope that the police are eventually able to recover the laptop. Stay strong! :heart:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    whoa. Been there. The police did catch my thief - when they came to tell me I asked, "Does he have a job?" - which was a stupid question I guess, but he had broken into other houses and we already knew that..... The police-woman said, "Yeah, he's a burglar." I actually thought that was quite funny - but I was still glad that she let me know they caught him. My stuff was gone, though. Along with my peace of mind.

Your story hammers home what I have been thinking lately, that I had better inventory and give to my insurance agent all my personal items. It's good for any insurance claims, including burglary or natural losses. I've been putting it off. My agent says take pictures of everything and keep a copy off-site as well as send him a copy. I thought that was good to know.

I now sleep with a - (go ahead and laugh...) - fire extinguisher next to the bed. I don't want a gun, because then it can be stolen or used against me, but not only is the foam debilitating - that sucker weighs probably 15 pounds - I could smack 'em pretty good with it.

Just a moment of :laugh: for ya. Glad everyone's okay. We are family here.
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Very scary! Glad everyone is okay and hope they get the guy!
    I had an apartment that had gotten broken into once, my now husband called me (he got home first, it was done during the day) and said "what did you do here!!!" I said "what are you talking about?"
    He thought I rummaged through things and made a mess, not realizing we'd been burglarized! We also had our bikes stolen out of the hallways.
    And in college my car got broken into. It felt really creepy and I felt violated!
    I hated the feeling!
    Glad you're okay!
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    Very scary! Glad everyone is okay and hope they get the guy!
    I had an apartment that had gotten broken into once, my now husband called me (he got home first, it was done during the day) and said "what did you do here!!!" I said "what are you talking about?"
    He thought I rummaged through things and made a mess, not realizing we'd been burglarized! We also had our bikes stolen out of the hallways.
    And in college my car got broken into. It felt really creepy and I felt violated!
    I hated the feeling!
    Glad you're okay!
    :heart: :heart: :heart:

haha..same thing happened to me...my partner was like..Why did you leave the backdoor open all night?! We are pretty sure that it was the neighbor boy next door and his friend. We noticed today that his friend was wearing these Adiadas shoes which have the same print that was in our sink...hmmmm!!!!! I just hope that the police are able to find something on them, like the fingerprints! I know Karma comes around, but I just want to see it..haha..
  • CuteDove
    CuteDove Posts: 49
    Options
    OMG

i donno why ppl do this.. :noway:

so sorry to hear that