For Ladies....Is is true or just an excuse??

Options
124»

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    interestingly...i was discussing this was a gastroenterologist recently who explained that it isn't water retention but that food digests slower and fills up the intestines. nice! Anyway, that's the reason for the majority of 'period cramps' (although not all) and why bellies bloat and weight is gained.

That explains a lot!

I don't understand that. If that were true, then it would have to come out sometime. Which would mean more pooping. But I pee a lot more after my period... indicating that it would be water weight, and not an intestinal traffic jam.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Ladies--do you think that it is true that we really retain water weight during our periods? Sometimes I wonder if we make all kinds of excuses during that time to eat more / feel ok about the scale going up, etc. I started this morning. (sorry if TMI) and I also got on the scale this morning expecting to see at least a LITTLE bit of a loss. I was EXACTLY the same. Do you think it could be water weight REALLY??:huh:

Everyone is different, but I can tell you that it is VERY true with me.

I always knew I did, because I would get bloated right before and during and could barely button my pants. At the end to after it is finished, then I start deflating and soon my pants fit well again.
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    I must be weird because the week Aunt Flo is here is when I loose the most weight out of the month :huh: :laugh:
  • bfrice1
    Options
    I absolutely retain water, it begins the day or so before I get it. I routinely gain and lose 3-5lbs.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    It's probably not true for everyone, but it's true for me.

I do NOT alter my workout or diet to accommodate the desire to eat more or my CRAZY period fatigue so I know that the increase in the scale of FOUR TO EIGHT POUNDS is water retention.

I can actually SEE the bloat in my belly and I KNOW I'm not eating more calories or foods that are higher in sodium.

I combat every craving (I rarely have cravings during the rest of the month) so I know the cravings are real for me. They're not an excuse to eat more, but they are very real.

Charmagne
  • Rupeedoo
    Options
    interestingly...i was discussing this was a gastroenterologist recently who explained that it isn't water retention but that food digests slower and fills up the intestines. nice! Anyway, that's the reason for the majority of 'period cramps' (although not all) and why bellies bloat and weight is gained.

That explains a lot!

I don't understand that. If that were true, then it would have to come out sometime. Which would mean more pooping. But I pee a lot more after my period... indicating that it would be water weight, and not an intestinal traffic jam.

I think it's becoming obvious that every woman is different. I definitely have intestinal traffic jams during my period but if you pee more it seems likely you retain water...