Does 20-30 minutes of cardio really work?

Options
13»

Replies

• 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't, then I must have been exercising in my sleep. :tongue:

by the way, you don't exercise to lose weight, you eat right to lose weight, you exercise to become healthy and maintain your lean tissue mass. If your focus is losing weight, make sure you understand, you could exercise all day, but if you eat crap, and eat to much of it, you'll still gain fat.

Agee with you, eating right is 80% exercise is 20%. You can't exercise a bad diet. Eat a diet of protein, carbs(mostly vegetables) and Fat. Eliminate all processed junk carbs out of your diet. Be patient, fat cells fill with water and then release it when they are ready to do so.
  • sims2013
    sims2013 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    yes it will benefit you. however, dont let it be the only thing you do! add some strength training in there and you will see more results as mussel burns more calories!
  • kimberlyamat5
    kimberlyamat5 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. I do cardio for an hour every day. It has helped me to lose my weight. I have been working out using Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds" She has another DVD that I want to get. So far with my calorie counting and walking away my pounds I have lost five pounds so far.
  • DanceswithWow
    Options
    Hello

My name is Dances with Wow...

I hope you enjoy my answer.. as it wil,probably go against what others will say..

For the vast majority of people..20 to 30 is way more than enough..Its the competitors thorough breds and over achievers that may not necessarily need more, but unless their exertion threshold standard fufilled will continually push to the extreme.

12 to 20 minutes is all thats needed to throttle metabolism..The mind will play tricks with rational thinking..but gravity, physics, and leverage never lie.

The exercise most people attempt to do defies nearly every rule that governing our bodies..when exercising the objective is to maximize lifeforce on less.
    The end game is to have access to the body you desire to have --AT Will.. To paint a beautiful portrait of your self with the least amount of brush strokes.

Ah to do that requires whole cloth thinking not found in too many places. The real purpose of Cardio workouts --- is to teach the body how to secrete and release lipolytic enzymes..the only agent that can communicate with unwanted body fat, that only hormone agent that understands how to deweaponize its force field and the only hormone agent that give it marching orders to stand down..

The by product an benefit of mastering cardio is you tap endurance capability, heart health and faster recharge of your entire blood transfer and hormone exchange system.. All this is apart of a fertile lIfeforce.

Yes if I am competing pushing the time envelope is required but for getting the body to drop pounds, have a more modern masculine frame or achieiving a more firm flowing and feminine physique.. 12 to 20 minutes..will get the job done..

and thats for 100% of those have a desire and discipline to experience and participate in the act of testing personal resiliency...through fitness

If you would like to learn more about some awesome new exercise analytics and self test tools to empower your cardio in less time and greater results shoot me a like..

The one minute ride.. self test tool is one that will put this question to bed forever.

My name is Dances with Wow

And I can hands down help you unleash Life force
    and in no time flat deweaponize unwanted body fat..

• chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Absolutely yes! Especially if it is vigorous.

the T25 videos are only 25 minutes long and you can burn I think up to 350 calories (depending on weight etc.)

Also on the elliptical I know if I go on for 25 minutes at a resistance of 7 I burn 300 calories. That is a good quick burn for me.
  • rkimmins
    rkimmins Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes with one addition, you must actually be in "aerobic respiration" or cardio mode. This means that you must use up all of the ATP and glycogen stored in your muscles BEFORE your stored fat is going to be used for energy. The bottom line is that you must spend 10-15 minutes to get warmed up - heart rate up, breathing up, body temperature up and you are sweating. Now is when you are doing cardio. It is also a great idea to spend at least 10 minutes cooling down after your cardio to aerate your muscles and remove the lactic acid that may have been formed. This will greatly reduce the soreness often that comes later.

Hope this helps.
    :happy:
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    You eat healthy, less calorie dense foods to lose weight, and you exercise to get fit. The more weight you lose, the more you will be able to exercise. I've lost 65 pounds {240-175} since last September doing this. The one regret is that I was late to start strength training. If I had it to do over, I would have started lifting from the start.

Larro
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am new to Myfitnesspal. I join a while ago but only used one day . Now I am 2 weeks and 3 days in, using daily. So far so good!

Question: Can you really benefit from 20 to 30 minutes of cardio a day?
    For cardiovascular improvement: yes

If you're using it for weightloss, that's ALWAYS going to be more about CICO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Absolutely! It's all about keeping your heart rate up in order to work off the fat.
    Not true. That affects your cardiovascular endurance and VO2 max. Fat comes off from calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    High intensity interval training is great for shorter workouts - I'm a fan of it..
    ^^this. I do 20-30 minutes of HIIT on a stationary bike on a tough-for-me intensity so even the "low intensity" parts (when I'm not sprinting) are a good workout. 20 second sprint, 40 second rest, repeat. Working my way up to 30/30. It is heart pounding.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You need at least 18 mins to "turn on" the fat buring in you body. At my age I need all the metabolism boosts I can get. The cardio is also a great stress buster too. I combine with strength training to build muscle which also burns fat
    Can't turn on the "fat burning mode" till all your glycogen is depleted. And that takes some serious effort.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Romeodelta001
    Romeodelta001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok, all bias aside, it is indisputable that 20-30 minutes of cardio a day is essential to healthy living. Weather it's to lose weight or to just be healthier over-all. Your cardiovascular system is the core of your body's functionality and essentially 'keeps fuel on the fire' that is the powerplant of your body. It has been proven that 20 minutes of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is more effective at teaching your body to burn off the caloric values of macro-nutrients than a regular long-interval low intensity workout. To put it in a primal light, your body functions on a fight or flight mechanism, both concepts involve high-intensity exercise. When you physically trigger this mechanism your body goes into a catabolic state, burning off energy courses(fat, carbs, protein) in order to survive. The bottom line - if you don't keep your cardiovascular system in an exercised state your body will revert to an anabolic state which burns less energy.

My experience: Active Duty Military, Special Operations, 3 marathons, 12 obstacle races.

I know this is an old post, but I just found it- however, yes to all this.