Starvation Mode is a Myth: The Science

Options
Hello, all. Since I've been on MFP, I've seen quite a bit of pseudoscience (unfortunately, propagated by the site itself) that declares that the body will go into "starvation mode" if you do not eat X amount of calories per day. I don't know the origin of this myth, but here is an article published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition which puts the lie to the myth:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3661473

For those of us who don't wish to wade through the scientific and technical jargon, here's a summary. If a person goes without eating AT ALL for SIXTY HOURS, their metabolism will slow by roughly 8%. Until you hit the sixty-hour threshold, without having eaten at all, your metabolism remains unchanged. Should you reach that point of sixty hours without food, your metabolism will come back to normal soon after you begin eating again.

Two other studies (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717 and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292) show that the metabolism actually INCREASES during periods of intermittent fasting, but at an equally negligible rate: 3.8 to 10%.

As well, it appears that the arbitrary number which has been chosen for "starvation mode" (1200 kCal) is the same for everyone, which makes absolutely no sense. Why would this threshold be the same for me, at 185 lbs., as it would be for someone who weighs 260 lbs., or even 110 lbs.?

So here's the science: "starvation mode" is a myth. There is danger in restricted-calorie diets, but it comes from the possibility of not getting the vitamins and minerals your body needs, not from a magical, instantaneous slowdown of your metabolism.

Edit: grammar error

Replies

• momof7withchrist
    Options

As well, it appears that the arbitrary number which has been chosen for "starvation mode" (1200 kCal) is the same for everyone, which makes absolutely no sense. Why would this threshold be the same for me, at 185 lbs., as it would be for someone who weighs 260 lbs., or even 110 lbs.?

So here's the science: "starvation mode" is a myth. There is danger in restricted-calorie diets, but it comes from the possibility of not getting the vitamins and minerals your body needs, not from a magical, instantaneous slowdown of your metabolism.

Thank you. I knew it didn't make sense, but didn't know where to even begin to find the answer.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Finally!! Thanks so much for setting this straight....

I've been disturbed by some of the discussion around this because it just didn't sound right. This however makes perfect sense!!
  • momof7withchrist
    Options
    Thank you so much for the information. I have been having trouble reaching the magic 1200 when I eat healthy. I feel full & wonder around the kitchen looking for something that will help me reach 1200 without adding a bunch of fat or carbs. This takes a load off! Thank you soooo much!
  • resptech97
    Options
    THANK YOU!! I have been trying to tell people this for months!!!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, never heard that! However I have heard that you can safely reduce your calories to very low amount for no more that 3 days at a time, then take a break, bring it back up to a reasonable amount for 4 days and do it again. It's supposed to work quite well without triggering the "starvation mode". I have never tried this though because I get sick if I don't eat enough.
  • melissatacker
    melissatacker Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    1200 calories is the absolute minimum amount necessary for the body to function. Of course, it will vary depending on the person, but if one eats below 1200, they can get seriously ill in a short period of time.

Starvation mode refers to a prolonged period of time that a body is denied the nutrients necessary for its survival. Just because you fast for a day, doesn't mean your body will enter starvation mode. I try to fast every month, having a 1-day water-only fast. This does not mean that my body enters starvation mode, and I don't think MFP or any personal trainer or nutritionist will disagree.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this. there are lots of articles online that seem to back this up as well. i just took for granted that it was true without doing any research on the topic myself (which i will now do).

Edited to add a link to an interesting, plain English, article: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1574882/starvation_mode_dispelling_the_myths.html?cat=5
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link to the source. I knew starvation mode was as much a myth as metabolism boosters. The changes are negligible.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the absolute minimum amount necessary for the body to function. Of course, it will vary depending on the person, but if one eats below 1200, they can get seriously ill in a short period of time.

Starvation mode refers to a prolonged period of time that a body is denied the nutrients necessary for its survival. Just because you fast for a day, doesn't mean your body will enter starvation mode. I try to fast every month, having a 1-day water-only fast. This does not mean that my body enters starvation mode, and I don't think MFP or any personal trainer or nutritionist will disagree.

hmmmm...I stay under 1200 calories every day, exercise every day, and my health has done nothing but improve
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Amen!

I ditto that ---AMEN!
  • Skye76
    Skye76 Posts: 28
    Options

Can you give me some sort of study which backs this up?

Of course, I agree with you. The problem lies in the misunderstanding of MFP's prompt, which tells us that we are in danger of going into "starvation mode" if we don't eat 1200 kCal per day. The prompt is poorly worded, and often misunderstood.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this because I have never believed in the starvation mode that people refer to and it drives me crazy when MFP tells me I need to eat more when I don't feel that I do because I am already full & have eaten enough, just worked out too. I understand the body will go into a starvation mode after a period of time, but many act as though it will if you don't eat for a few hours! The whole thing about eating your calories back also seems to be false to me because it seems that it would be pointless to workout if you were going to end up eating the calories back, and I know for a fact I have lost a lot of weight in the past without eating my calories back! In addition, I never understood the "minimum" because I never could see how I should eat a minimum of 1200 calories to lose weight when my body only burns 1400...while the 1200 would be a minimum for someone who is 3x the size of me! Thanks again, this just completely proved my previous thoughts and now I think I will be able to lose weight easier without being brainwashed that I need to eat more, when I know I don't!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    OMG - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have NO idea ...

I'm friending you. lol...

Truly, I've gotten alot of flak because I will NOT LOSE at 1200 a day. My metabolism is so slow that that is maintenance for me. And there's reasons my metabolism is that slow (fat:muscle ratio) and it can/will change - but that's what it is for now and no one has believed me. I know my body damnit - I'm the one that's lived in it for 37 years. and you are very dead on with the nutrient issue.. that's a real challenge at a lower calorie count and one I actually do worry about.
  • 194Days
    Options
    What I appreciate most about what you posted is that you cited several sources... I get tired of seeing "facts" stated and re-stated (most often the "1200 calorie rule") with no credible sources to back them up.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    1200 calories was the minimum amount a WOMAN would need to eat daily to avoid starving to death, as determined by the WHO (World Health Organization). This was arrived at in an effort to determine the amount of aid that would need to be sent to a region without resources, such as war or natural disaster. It really wasn't related to "starvation mode", per se.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    See this what makes changing your life style so hard. Some people say you must eat x amount or you are going to go into starvation mode and others say no. I know people talked about the Eat Stop Eat Diet and it is based around the concept of fasting. So has anyone tried it?
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    yeah that all makes sense really.

however anyone wanting to eat that few calories for weight should be much more careful about what they are eating...
    clean food. clean clean clean!!!
    they'd wanting to be balancing thier meals perfectly IMO. 1/3 cals from protein (100g), 1/3 cal's from carbs(100g), 1/3 cal's from healthy fats(44-45 g).

doing that, i'd see no reason why it wouldnt be safe. empty calories, like booze, and other ****ty calories would be your undoing on such a low caloric intake.
  • itsmerobin
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! It was helpful, as I've been considering the validity of this "starvation mode."
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    Okay.....so please explain to me why it is, after my initial 30 pound drop w/the Lap-band, why for 2 years I couldn't lose weight at 500-700 cals a day without exercise or 200 Net cals with exercise??? And by some miracle now, I consume 1300 Net cals with exercise, and the weight is just melting off?

Everyone's body reacts differently....but for me, I know my metabolism took a serious dive with so few daily calories. I could feel it. Before I was sluggish, hardly ever hungry, constantly tired. And now? I have tons of energy and get hungry when it's time to eat -- which is about every 2 1/2 - 3 hours.