Pretty sure I've lost my period :/

Options
Yeah, as the titile says really...Havnt menstruated for about 3 months now,
Not sure why though, my weight is still in the middle of the healthy range (155lbs and 5ft11)

I told my mum and she wasn't too bothered at all by it and just said to go to the doc if i'm really that bothered.
I do do an awful lot of exercise,full time professional dance training as well as going to the gym 4-6 times a week...
All in all I'm not really sure what to do?

Replies

• boomer0688
    boomer0688 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Often when the body goes through a lot of stress or shock such as weight loss or incresed exercise you will stop. I would sugggest going to the doctor. I had this probelm and what started off as 3 months turnedinto 2 years and created a lot of problems. It is better to go and check to make sure everything is ok instead of finding out years later that it was a problem.
  • cutelashawn
    Options
    you know excessive exercising can make your hormones out of whack and stop your periods. Also being under or overweight can also stop your periods. Go to the DR. and see what they say. I hope things wrk out for you..........Good Luck!
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I would go seethe doctor as well especiall considering your age. Also, you are not getting a lot of iron in your diet. Ifyou are not taking a supplement, your body might not be mensturating because of low iron. I knwo that happend to my sister, and the dr. just put her on a higher iron diet and a supplement and all evened out.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Could you be pregnant? If there is even a small possibility then you might like to take a test.
    I would suggest that you go to see a doc, they will be in the best position to see if it is due to your activity level or if there is anything else to check out.
    Edited to add: looking at your diary that doesn't seem like enough food to keep you alive with such a heavy exercise schedule. Do you have access to a dietician through your dance company? It would probably be worth discussing the best combinations of food to keep you healthy and able to keep dancing.
    Or maybe take your food diary when you see the doc.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    The last few days you've been getting around 1000 (or less) calories. Combine that with full-time dance training and the gym, and you're inadvertantly starving yourself. Your body isn't getting the nutrition it needs - I think that's the problem. Is your profile picture of yourself?? If so, you don't need to diet, you're tiny! :smile:

See a doctor if you can, but otherwise - increase your food a little!!
  • Flossycat100
    Options
    Wow I agree wih believe2achieve- if that's a picture of you then you needn't be working so hard, you're tiny!

I also agree that you are eating too little and exercising too much- this is probably why you are not having your period as your body is struggling to look after itself. Good luck!
  • Franticantics
    Options
    My diet the past few days has been low because Im pretty ill at the moment, can't keep anything down!
    Definitely not pregnant :)
    Yes the profile pic is me, I only want to lose another 15lbs, but thankyou for saying that :)
    I could go to our physio/dietician, but frankly she scares me, and the first thing she ever said to me was when i auditioned, she weighed me, looked at me and said
    'Well...You're pretty hefty...But the directors must have seen something in you.'
    She is renowned fr being absolutely vile to girls who need to lose weight...
    I am quite anemic, and lac an entire strand of white blood cell too, I was put on this intense iron supplement, but it made me really sick, so i had to stop taking it.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Hefty? Hefty!!!! I can only wish to be so hefty!:laugh:

But to second all the other posters, get yourself to your Dr, but I'd avoid the dance school physio (she sounds like a nightmare). And take your food diary with you. If you dont have a Dr, is there a Walk In Centre near you?

One thing that stands out in your diary, apart from the low calories, is that you eat a lot of highly processed food. If you can't get more fresh food in can you take protein shakes? It'll help with recovery after all your training and if you get one with a full spectrum of vitamins it might help. Maxitone do one & the choc one tastes quite good.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    It's refreshing that you understand that you're not hefty and that the dietitian was being a little whack about it. I actually read somewhere that it's common for (intense and devoted) dancers to lose their period because of a strict exercise and diet regimen. Not that I'm in any way suggesting it's healthy or OK because you're a dancer, it's just something I read :p

That said, if you're regularly getting lower than 1200 net calories—which it seems, from looking back through your diary to when you started, that you do by a considerable amount sometimes—that would very likely be a leading cause. You probably need a higher level of net calories, too, with your intense training.

My ex was a dancer and didn't get her first period until she was 16, basically lost it shortly after getting it due to severe physical stress, and then didn't get it again until we started dating about 7 years later and I talked her into seeing a doctor.

The crappy thing is that you're thinking you need to lose another 15 pounds ... but that's part of being a dancer. Very, very competitive, and requisite of unhealthy goals/ attitudes sometimes.

You should see a real doctor, one not associated with your dance company, and get their opinion. I'm sure you've not lost your period entirely, likely you just need to start eating more healthily (that is, larger quantity) if you're going to train as intensely as you are. The fact that you ever get up to 4500 goal calories suggests that you should probably be getting in no less than 1400 net calories ever.
  • dzilobommo
    dzilobommo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Please go to a proper doctor and ignore the dance physio...she sounds like she'll be more concerned with her dance agenda than your health!!!

I can only join others in saying, you are very skinny, even my dance teacher hasn't got abs like yours! Your ticker says you're aiming to lose another 12.5 kgs, is that right?? That would put your BMI below 18 which is definitely underweight - please don't go that far!

By stopping your periods, your body is giving you an important warning - listen to it, because it's the only body you have!
  • spunkbeer
    Options
    i only recently started getting my period back due to weight gain and etc.
    it does stop from over excersing and restricting ones diet.

Last year i only had my period i think 3-4 times in the whole year?
    I usually go 2-3 months in between mine.
    But its always been outta whack for me.
  • spunkbeer
    Options
    Also must add. Who wants their period anyway hahaha
    It sucks id happily go without it for the rest of my life.
  • WhiteStar2351
    Options
    Go to the doctor!

I can say straight away looking through your food diaries that you're eating no where near enough calories to support your height/weight and level of activities. Your Basal Metabolic Rate (the bare minimum your body requires to function properly - NOT including calories for exercise) is over 1500 calories a day - you're eating no where near this. Your body is well and truly in to starvation mode and is now shutting down what it considers to be non-essential systems (your calorie intake is so low that it would be impossible to support a child if you were pregnant, thus your body will shut down your reproductive system until such a point that it can support it). You absolutely must increase your calorie intake to a healthy amount or risk even more serious problems. Start off slowly with an extra 100 calories a day, but increase this as the weeks go by until you're eating a sensible amount. An average girl your height/age/weight should be eating just under 2,500 calories a day if she does moderate exercise 3-5 days per week. You can't magic energy to fuel your body out of thin air - you must eat to replace what you're using!
  • Franticantics
    Options
    I think I'll leave it another 2 weeks to see if anything happens, and if not I'll pop to the doctors. I just worry so much about being weighed by doctors, I just hate how heavy I am, and the look they give me when i get on/off the scale, or a snide little comment on the side. I don't think I look my weight though... I don't know, I am thoroughly dismorphic, that I do know, as is my mother, the first time she put me on a diet I was about 11...Well for the first time since I can remember she is 'starting' to become happy with my body,but i still have a way to go...
    I wish everything was done on measurements not weight!

One of the main problems i have with consuming enough calories is that i dont actually get a lunch break, and have to eat whilst running an average of 1/2 a mile to the next studio for the next class, and then I get home at aroun 7.30/8, and dont like to eat too much that late, so i make sure i get a good breakfast at least...
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Looking at your profile picture I would worry less about your weight and more about body fat percentage. My understanding is that sportsmen and women can be heavy for their size, but have small bodies due to being mostly muscle and having low body fat. Regardless of how much you weigh, if your body fat percentage dips below what your body thinks is acceptable for carrying a child, your periods may well become erratic or stop altogether.

I am the same weight and height as you, but I think my body composition differs completely and I am no where near as small as you appear to be, and I would expect that is because my body fat percentage is much higher.

I should think it is worth seeing a proper doctor to talk through your concerns and to make sure you are getting enough nutrition for your active lifestyle and that there are no other underlying causes for your periods to have ceased.

Look after yourself, and all the best,

Erika
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I agree with the others who suggest you see a doctor. It concerns me that anyone would call you "hefty" or encourage you to eat so little every day.
  • dzilobommo
    dzilobommo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Looking at your profile picture I would worry less about your weight and more about body fat percentage. My understanding is that sportsmen and women can be heavy for their size, but have small bodies due to being mostly muscle and having low body fat. Regardless of how much you weigh, if your body fat percentage dips below what your body thinks is acceptable for carrying a child, your periods may well become erratic or stop altogether.

I am the same weight and height as you, but I think my body composition differs completely and I am no where near as small as you appear to be, and I would expect that is because my body fat percentage is much higher.

I should think it is worth seeing a proper doctor to talk through your concerns and to make sure you are getting enough nutrition for your active lifestyle and that there are no other underlying causes for your periods to have ceased.

Look after yourself, and all the best,

Erika

I second all of the above! It sounds like you have issues about how you view your weight, which makes it hard for you to accept that you are NOWHERE NEAR "hefty" - anyone who says that has their own issues or agendas (or is just insanely jealous).

I really hope you can keep your self-esteem and don't get mentally sucked into a world with such unforgiving and unrealistic expectations about women's bodies...You may not miss your period now, but there is a reason women have them...one day you may want to have babies, can you be sure that you won't regret taking risks with your body and fertility?

Good luck and I hope you will come through in your profession based on your talent and hard work, NOT based on your levels of unrealistic thinness!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Well for the first time since I can remember she is 'starting' to become happy with my body,but i still have a way to go...
    Aghhhhh. Sounds like my ex's mom. I don't think you should worry so much about how happy SHE is with your body. Is she a former dancer/ dance teacher?
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Google Amenorrhoea/Hypothalamic.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Looking at your profile picture I would worry less about your weight and more about body fat percentage.

Apparently in more recent studies I've read they say it has less to do with actual body fat and more to do with an energy deficiency. Basically too much exercise not enough food leaves 0 energy for ovulation.