PCOS + Lower Carb Higher Protein (advise please)

Options
13»

Replies

• Godsflower1789
    Options
    i was also diagnosed with pcos.

the answer i got was to take carbs out of your diet competely for a period of a month or two, and then to slowly encorporate them abck into the diet.

now, the reason being is that i am addicted to them....i'm addicted to them because they register in the body the same way sugar does. PCOS is an insulin related condition....enough said.

i've been eating mostly veggies, a few select fruits like berries, nuts, and fish and chicken. Weight loss in general is slow because of the PCOS.

BUTTTTTT

the goal should be to regulate your hormones so you don't have to "diet" for the rest of your life! and too much SUGAR in the body causes your body to become insulin resistant---thus my chocolate and pasta diet wasnt working for my PCOS

I've read Jackie Warner's "This IS Why Your Fat", "the Fat Flush Diet" book, most books that have to do with maximized living, oh...and did I mention my mom is a personal trainer? :-)
    By getting rid of the enabler (sugar) you will no longer be addicted to them if you too suffer from that, and your body will start burning FAT as opposed to SUGAR.

Strong opinion? Yes, but my PCOS symptoms are almost completely gone (been working for a year) with no medication. Just exercise and eating right.
  • Thechubbygrl
    Thechubbygrl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hiya I know this is old but I wanted to add some info that I have found over time with dealing with PCOS. It's not just about the carbs (though as the OP was asking if she should change her % then yes I think she should) She should also change her fibre intake, as the site sets it at only 15. And the main thing to note is if you do have Carbs pair it with something high in fibre and protein so it doesn't spike your levels. HTH! :)

# 20-50 grams of fibre per day to optimise blood glucose regulation.
    # Eat small, frequent meals no more than four hours apart to prevent low blood glucose levels.
    # Use portion control, especially with foods high in fat and carbohydrates.
    # Two to three servings of low fat dairy foods per day.
    # Increase omega-3 fatty acids, such as oily fish, ground flaxseeds (2-3 tablespoons per day), or fish oil.
    # Lean meat and protein sources (0-3 grams of fat/ounce) should be about 18%-25% of your daily calories.
    # 40%-50% of your daily calories from complex carbohydrates: vegetables, fruit, wholegrains.
    # Eat foods with both high fibre and lean protein during meals and snacks to lower the glycemic load on the body
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    I have been maintaining a loss of about 100lbs for 15 months, I have PCOS and my settings are 30% fat, 30% protien and 40% carbs but I'm usually over on the protien and have carbs left over!

There was a bigger difference between carbs and protien when I was losing weight but I wouldn't know the figures, put it this way I have only introduced fruit, bread, rice, pasta and potatoes while I've been maintaining - and I've done it gradually! I also ate low fat dairy!

When you have carbs I would make sure you eat them with protien or fat too as this will help keep your blood sugar at an even keel.

I think its about what works for you - PCOS is a pretty wide spectrum and has a wide range of side effects - I have never had some of the more common side effects apart from weight gain around the middle and infertility.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Rather than worry about my carb totals, I think about where they are coming from - I don't eat bread anymore, although I do still have a highish fiber/ low sugar breakfast cereal with yogurt. You can get plenty of carbs from fruit, vegetables, and the ones that are hidden in a lot of foods.
  • Thechubbygrl
    Thechubbygrl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Rather than worry about my carb totals, I think about where they are coming from - I don't eat bread anymore, although I do still have a highish fiber/ low sugar breakfast cereal with yogurt. You can get plenty of carbs from fruit, vegetables, and the ones that are hidden in a lot of foods.

Bread's not exactly bad for you though, nor is pasta. So long as it's whole wheat it's actually an excellent source of fibre. I found cutting something out completely made me just want to binge on it. So I found substitutes in stead. Whole wheat pizza bases, whole wheat garlic bread, whole wheat durum pasta.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/info/presscenter/pressreleases?pr=20051116b

Cut and paste this link to read a great article about the cure for Metabolic Syndrome/PCOD.