how accurate is your logging?

Options
124»

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm getting good at eyeballing but I always measure/weigh my portion after I've separated everything just to make sure.
  • mblanch
    mblanch Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything. even things like breakfast cereal. But for me it's more about the control. I like to have control over what I eat and I feel if I keep control by weighing things I can loose weight. The minute I loose control and stop weighing I start putting on weight.
  • honeyrabbit
    Options
    I tend to measure/weigh every last litle thing....until I get used to what 25g grams of rice looks like for example, i'd rather know i'm getting it right.
    I never use the calorific value of a 'meal' from the database as somebody elses homemade chicken curry for example, may have a different ratio of ingredients to my own and therefore a different calorific value. I list every single ingredient individually for every meal that I make down to every last teaspoon of cooking oil or sprinkle of herbs...............maybe that's a bit anal but I just want to get it right.
    Same applies to my calories burned, I don't rely on the database as I find the figure on here is drastically different to that on the gym equipment I use.
    It may seem a bit ridiculous but in my view, every food/meal you underestimate the calorific value of, eventually adds up to a whole lot more calories than you thought!

I very much air on the side of caution and always overestimate how calorific a portion of food is if for any reason I can't weigh or measure it.
  • momof5skis
    Options
    I thought I was good at estimating my food weight until I pulled out this old food scale I've had forever and weighed a portion of a pork roast that I thought was 2 oz, but it was actually 3oz. That is a 30% under-estimation!! So I am going to weigh and measure EVERYTHING for awhile until I get better at estimating!
    Good luck to you!
    Beth :happy:
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    measure/weigh all, and log all :drinker: Except for wine cause we all know there are no calories in that stuff. :tongue:

hahahaha! I'm going to use this line in the future.

I don't have a food scale so I overestimate on a lot of things. It's been working for me but maybe I should just pay 20 bucks for a food scale so that I can eat a little more.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    ive noticed that without measuring cups and my digital scale I can be waaaay off in logging. Ive been slacking a little and I bet thats why my loss has slowed down. Im just curious do you all measure everything or are you good at eyeballing

measure every bite=lost 36 pounds
    guessed and estimated= gained back 10 pounds

If you are in losing mode my opinion is measure every mouthful. This led me to no longer eat out, but for 1 time a month when I did not care about calories.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    If I haven't weighed or measured it and logged it first, I don't eat it.

So pretty close I hope.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Insanely accurate. I measure in GRAMS!

I measure in grams and ounces for most things and always double check against the label of my food (not rely on the database). I can look silly sometimes, dragging all the boxes and bags into my office after dinner, but oh well...

I have been measuring and weighing every portion (possible - there are some that I just cannot, although I did weigh my take out a couple of weeks ago out of curiosity...) - even teaspoons and tablespoons of mayo, margarine, peanut butter, etc. but it is really just so that I learn, by eye, how much these things really are (it's been 4 months of painstaking measuring!)
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i measure and weight EVERYTHING. literally, everything. i am very OCD about making sure i get the right amount. it makes me feel better knowing that i am not guessing and possibly going over on my calories. Like if i am having 4oz of chicken, i want to make sure i am really getting that 4oz of chicken, because i know that i would not be able to eyeball it.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Unless it came in a package with a cal count I super skeptical about my logging. I got a HRM because I didn't believe that biking was exercise and I didn't believe the machines at the gym either. I know your body kind of does whatever it wants anyway but I want the numbers to be an exact science (it never is, otherwise I'd lose 1.2 pounds like clockwork every week).

It sucks that it's not that easy, but this is a lifetime thing anyway, so I just try my best and if anything I hope I'm teaching myself good habits so I can guesstimate my exercise and cals easier without this calc in a couple years.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I estimate. But I will overestimate for food if I'm not 100% sure, and underestimate for exercise if I'm not 100% sure.

This is what I do too. I've read enough of those articles about how a portion of meat should be about the size of a deck of cards to know that the gargantuan slabs o'flesh I prefer have to be logged as a double serving. :ohwell:
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't trust myself to measure accurately at all - except my morning coffee. I have a good idea how much cream I've put in by the color.

I use a ton of measuring cups. It's so worth it though knowing how much you are actually putting into your body.