Washing your hair

Options
I suppose this is probably more of a question for the ladies....

I'm sure everyone out there has heard the "don't wash your hair everyday" rule. But if you exercise everyday (or even 2 consecutive days) then I feel gross not washing my hair.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Replies

• amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    no solution - now that I am working out almost everyday I usually shower twice a day. I have colored hair and use Burt's Bees color keeper shampoo and conditioner with every shower. My hair is fine.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day, but can only wash my hair twice a week since I color and blowdry it, and too much washing makes it brittle and dry.

Try Dry Shampoos-- Bumble and Bumble, Oscar Blandi, and Tresemme make my favorites! Theyre a bit pricey, but definitely worth it, as a little goes a long way.
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair with Loreal Sulfate free shampoo... keeps from drying out and keeps it healthy! I think its called EverPure. Amazing stuff.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    I wash my hair every day now since I work out every day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Daily washing can strip oils from your hair. Use a mild shampoo and a good conditioner and you'll be fine.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    With a three-month-old, I rarely have time to wash my hair whether I work out or not!

Depending on your work environment, if you work, I don't think you get around washing your hair every day that you exercise. I also have long,thin hair that will take any excuse to look limp. I think it also depends on your hair and hair style.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I always wash it in the mornings every day in the shower and again after a workout.
    I can't imagine working up a sweat but not washing my hair.
  • smota
    smota Posts: 62
    Options
    You can't see it on my photo, but my hair is so long I have to pull it to the front when getting my jeans on or it will be tucked in back there, so listen... I have washed my hair every day of my life since I can remember (I'd say surely at least for the past 23 years).

The only thing that can damage your hair is leaving the sweat and toxins and all the things I prefer to leave unnamed in it *I am now twitching and starting to feel itchy all over ;)*

Don't believe that non-sense, people are crazy! Wash your hair as much as you want, let it dry naturally (don't tie it, hair needs to dry properly!) and always feel healthy and fresh :)
  • jesshall281
    Options
    hey, i use batiste dry shampoo, it basically a spray that you put on your roots to get rid of grease and smells, and it leaves your hair wonderful, like you've just washed it, here's the link:

http://www.batistehair.co.uk/
  • MammaEllis
    Options
    Hair Stylist here! Best advice is to use a dry shampoo after a sweaty workout and continue to do your normal shampoos 2 to 3 times per week. The dry shampoos are awesome for removing oils and moisture from the hair after you have busted your hump at the gym.

830631.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    My nonwashing day is a ponytail day and I use dry shampoo on my bangs. I work out with my hair up and my head doesnt sweat too much.
  • NicoleMarie0409
    Options
    I use Tresemme Dry Shampoo too. Works great for me
  • msmopar
    msmopar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great question... I am trying to grow my hair long and want health locks, and since I color my hair it is hard to keep it from not drying out. I have been trying to work out everyday and I have been showering after every workout but not washing my hair. I will use a dry shampoo but I don't find them that great and I dislike the smell so mostly I will pull my hair back into a neat pony tail for work. My hair is adjusting to the infrequent shampooing so I am just going to try and hold out as long as I can.
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    My hair is super duper DRY! I also color and flat iron so I wash it on the weekend. I don't sweat much at all, never have.
  • amstein18
    Options
    headband & hair tye at the gym to keep my hair out of my face and off of my neck during my workout --- shower cap in the shower --- dry shampoo afterwards!! i wash every 2 or 3 days with redken color stay!
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i workout 5-6 days a week hard, soaking wet hard. i wash my hair 2-3 times a week with shampoo & conditioner and in between just use conditioner only. some days i put my hair up to shower only. my hair was really dry and brittle when i washed everyday. my hair looks best day after working out and not washing it.
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    My nonwashing day is a ponytail day and I use dry shampoo on my bangs. I work out with my hair up and my head doesnt sweat too much.

Yep, That's my routine too. Day 1 -Shampoo and fix really nice - workout, Day 2 ponytail - workout, day 3 shampoo again.... I always pull my hair up when I work out because its long and hot, but as soon as Im done with my work out, I take out the ponytail and let it dry fluffing it up. I also use a dry shampoo from time to time to give it a break.
  • smota
    smota Posts: 62
    Options
    With a three-month-old, I rarely have time to wash my hair whether I work out or not!

How long does it take to wash your hair?? Another 5mn under the shower?

Maybe because I come from a warm country I am used to a different way of doing things, but there the only ones to use dry shampoo are puppies - because they may die if you bath them before they're 4/6 months old! It never occurred to me young pretty ladies who praise their appearance so much would choose it over a delicious morning shower! And ... 'time consuming'? Come on... Takes less time to wash your hair than posting a comment on this website, and it would make you look much better!...
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Only wash my every two or three days......dry shampoo is the greatest!
  • SHIRLEYW02
    Options
    awesome ! losing 92 pds, !I need to lose 70 pd. -6 lost in two wks. i hope to have the will power to do this! just had to tell you that is great !