Washing your hair

Options

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Try a leave-in conditioner instead of a traditional cream rinse variety.

I find the leave-in conditioners are lighter and less greasy on my very fine hair---and the guy who cuts my hair says it's in great condition, so I must be doing something right.

My current fave is a Sally Beauty Supply generic substitute for "Sebastian Potion 9", but there's a Triple Moisture and a Garnier version that I also like when I can find 'em on sale.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've always washed my hair every other day and it hasn't changed too much since working out more. I'm quite careful about tieing it right up during a workout so it doesn't get that sweaty though. However, if it needs washing I'll wash it, especially if I have to go to work that evening. It shouldn't do any damage if it's actually necessary, letting it dry naturally would help the condition of it though :)
  • jesshall281
    Options
    ! It never occurred to me young pretty ladies who praise their appearance so much would choose it over a delicious morning shower! And ... 'time consuming'? Come on... Takes less time to wash your hair than posting a comment on this website, and it would make you look much better!...

I use dry shampoo to give my hair a break from washing it every day....i still have the 'delicious morning shower'
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I agree with using dry shampoo. I love my hair natural and wash it as little as possible.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I wash mine every other day with a vegan shampoo. My hair is always air dried and I use no products on it. My hair is down to my butt and is extreamly healthy.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get away without having to wash my hair everyday but I absolutley have too. It gets so greasy it sucks. I have thinner hair too. I use the dry shampoo too but it's definanlty not like a fresh wash :grumble:
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I color mine every 4 to 6 weeks and have long hair (middle of back). I wash mine every day and use plenty of conditioner. I try to let it air dry, but if I'm going straight to bed I'll blow dry it till it's still damp, but not wet. I've tried going a day without and can't stand it. :( I have 18-month old twins and a 7-year old... I never miss a shower. The moment the 3 of them are in bed I'm in the shower. Helps me relax so I can crawl on the couch and watch movies, read or talk to my husband.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I just always wash my hair every day and I have for my whole life. My hair does not get overly dry or seem unhealthy.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    i wash my hair daily and have been for years. I sometimes wash it twice a day. If you are worried about it use baby shampoo as it is the mildest. I have a dog that I give a bath to everyday with baby shampoo also and he has no skin problems at all.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Look for Wen. I switched to that and it is totally different. The whole not washing your hair every day is because typical shampoos strip the natural good oils off of the hair shaft.

With Wen, it doesn't strip your hair of the good stuff. My hair looks totally different, is softer, not as tangly, don't have issues with static (my hair is awful in the winter!), and you can wash every day.

Seriously, I <3 Wen! I'll never go back to shampoo.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I use Ojon dry shampoo for my (thick!) chin length bob every other day. It looks (and smells!) better than shampoo/blow dry days. I work out every day. When I was a big hair farmer, I used to brush out my waist length hair with a boar bristle brush to distribute the oils. Nothing wrong with spacing your hair washing out. Even now with my short (to me) hair, I alternate conditioner (V05 kiwi lime clarifying) washes with sulfate-free shampoo washes....otherwise my hair gets too poofy.
  • takingbackalison
    Options
    If I sweat a lottt and I just recently washed my hair, I'll just shower and rinse my hair of all the sweat... my head sweats a LOT its gross.
    But I have more of a problem with my skin drying out with showering a lot than my hair drying out... I wash my hair basically everyday unless I'm too lazy to wake up early.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    If a shower later in the day (and don't workout after that) I can get away with not washing the following day, but I really don't like to do that. My hair gets greasy super quick if I don't wash it daily. And yeah, I know all the rhetoric about the natural oils, etc. I'm not letting it get nasty while I wait for the oils to regulate themselves, yuck.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i wash my hair daily, sometimes twice a day, using paul mitchell moisture. i freaking love that shampoo! i have been doing this since at least middle school (not that i am going to share how long ago that's been). :) i honestly find the dry shampoos gross.
  • chickybabe05
    Options
    i wash mine pretty much every day...i have to. it gets so oily and gross. my hairdresser says it all depends on the individual person. some people only need to wash every few days and others need daily washing. its all up to you and how your hair reacts to the treatment lol
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I usually wash my hair with a shampoo twice a week, on other days just run water through my hair after a workout. Like this it stays fine for 2-3 days, then wash it again with a shampoo. Ya I also tie it in a pony after two days of washing.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Sure. Thanks. Rub it in.
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    With a three-month-old, I rarely have time to wash my hair whether I work out or not!

How long does it take to wash your hair?? Another 5mn under the shower?

Maybe because I come from a warm country I am used to a different way of doing things, but there the only ones to use dry shampoo are puppies - because they may die if you bath them before they're 4/6 months old! It never occurred to me young pretty ladies who praise their appearance so much would choose it over a delicious morning shower! And ... 'time consuming'? Come on... Takes less time to wash your hair than posting a comment on this website, and it would make you look much better!...

I'm guessing you either don't have kids or don't remember when you had a very young baby...
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Sure. Thanks. Rub it in.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: