Adding friends on MFP, does it help you?

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    It helps me ... feel free to add me
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    I find that it keeps me accountable. Not that the people I've added will make me feel bad for falling off the wagon, though. There's still that sense that people can see what I do so I better do my best.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Totally 120% yes! My friends are awesome, super motivating and I love them all.
    I only hope that I can be as motivating to them as they are to me.

(and although I will never meet most of them, some of us are running a half marathon together this year - so you never know)

PS. Feel free to add me ... I love friends!
  • It certainly does! I don't have lots of friends, but those that I do are very encouraging. Add friends who may be interested in the same topics you are. I am interested in triathlons, so some of my friends are geared in the direction. I see someone I "know" posted a comment to someone and I will in turn read the post and perhaps comment. And make a new friend as well.
  • chelle1a
    chelle1a Posts: 143 Member
    Yes, I think it does.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    I used to think it didn't matter whether I had an online support group since I'm the only one doin' my own thing. But after a while, it does become motivational. When people add you because they're just as excited to see your progress as they are theirs, you become more interested in wanting to participate in one way or another, and you inadvertantly further motivate yourself as you see their progress towards success.

It's still about me, but whatever I do for myself, the trickle-down theory takes place and those unknown online entities do become a community of support. And it's really appreciated.
  • TabbyJustice
    TabbyJustice Posts: 132 Member
    Incredibly. The calorie counting and everything is good but can get lonely, and you're more inclined to skip days.

The friends I have gained here are incredible. They chat, have fun, motivate me when I'm down or royally messed up a day, and I'm always signing in to join the conversations!

The resources here are invaluable. We are all here to work on a common goal, why do it alone?
  • wintervixen78
    wintervixen78 Posts: 176 Member
    Having friends really helps! I've got support, I give support. I feel like I'm part of a team and want to keep myself and the team going. I even started a thread for people starting and re-starting in Jan, so we could go through the weightloss together and it's been a great journey so far, the ups and the downs. And I've picked up great tips too!
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    I would certainly be lost without MFP friends. Seriously. They are encouraging and just always there. I really couldn't do it if not for them.

Anyone who needs support, add me by all means. I'm a pretty good cheerleader. :)
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Most definitely, but that's because I have the best MFP friends!! :)
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    It does help because I can laugh and not take myself so seriously.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    for me, absolutely! the feedback and encouragement really help keep me motivated.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 806 Member
    Absolutely. It is nice having people encouraging you, :smile:
  • Everyone is different but I absolutely think having more friends helps. Whenever you feel like giving in all you have to do is reach out and they're there for you. In addition we are all going through the same thing and know what each other is experiencing, nothing like talking to someone who has been where you are. But again, everyone is different it might not be your thing. If you'd like feel free to friend me and good luck on your weight loss.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    I don't know that it has made a huge difference for me. It is nice to see what other people are doing, and follow the progress of some other people daily, but I've pretty much been relying on self-motivation to get in shape. I also have had a much shorter road to travel to get back to normal weight, so over the long haul that probably wouldn't work for many people.

It is certainly more interesting to see what is going on with other people, and interacting on the forums results in lots of good information and ideas as well.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    For sure. I just started on the boards 2 weeks ago. been here since august. the community really helps!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    I don't know if I would use this site as often as I do if it weren't for the friends I have on here! They are definitely my motivators are supporters, both directly and indirectly. When I am feeling lazy but then log on here and see how many calories so and so burned doing whatever exercise, I just feel motivated to get up and do something.

I've gotten so many ideas with friends because of their open food diaries, and hope that having mine available to friends gives them ideas too. On your bad days, they are there to tell you to suck it up and that you can do it.

So yes, definitely helps me by having friends on MFP. I think it holds me accountable for everything I do and don't do.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Yes, having friends and the support of people that are going through the same thing is awesome. Getting that pat on the back when you make another goal. Welcome.
  • I've met some amazing friends. It helps knowing there are people out there you can relate to that are going through and struggling with the same things you are. Signing on and seeing their encouragement every day makes me want to strive harder!!
  • spiritgurl
    spiritgurl Posts: 160 Member
    Definitely makes a difference...we all have similar goals and can sympathize or encourage each other when needed. I've learned things from my friends and they have inspired me along the way to keep going. It's a great support system for all friends involved!
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!