Protein for Vegetarian?

Options
2»

Replies

• sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use hemp seed in a lot of things, you can get it at health food stores. As it was explained to me we get a lot of protein, but nothing compares to the protein you get from meat and this really makes up for it. It's got like 13 grams of protein for every 2 TBS serving.

I was going to order some of those, online.

The ones with the shells are a lot cheaper. Are the shells edible or do you have to hull them? If so are they easy to hull? They look kind of like pistachios.
  • mmelaragno
    Options
    I use hemp seed in a lot of things, you can get it at health food stores. As it was explained to me we get a lot of protein, but nothing compares to the protein you get from meat and this really makes up for it. It's got like 13 grams of protein for every 2 TBS serving.

The ones with the shells are a lot cheaper. Are the shells edible or do you have to hull them? If so are they easy to hull? They look kind of like pistachios.

I get the shelled ones, so I don't know how easy they are to hull. I get Manitoba Harvest and it's 12 oz. for $20. What's the price difference with the shells?
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Eggs! B12 can be tricky for Veggie lovers <3
    Take a supplement. Also found in yeast?

If you mix legumes (ie. lentils) with carbs (ie brown rice), I believe it becomes a complete protein.

Soy milk, almond milk, miso, sprouts and seeds, seaweed. Various veggies have protein, but may not be complete proteins.

QUINOA!! YES! :drinker: (Complete protein!)
  • sparksfly13
    Options
    Whole grain products, cheese, milk, protein bars/shakes, eggs, greek yogurt, all beans, nuts...
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options

I get the shelled ones, so I don't know how easy they are to hull. I get Manitoba Harvest and it's 12 oz. for $20. What's the price difference with the shells?

Nutsonline has them for $2.99/pound w/ shells. I just ordered some; after some research the shells are supposedly edible, but, not sure how I will like them! It will be fun new experience. ;)