How much weight did you lose before you went down a size (or

Replies

• karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    @ bahrainbel I think you will find a UK 10 is a US 6, it works really oddly how their sizes go down, But they get to 'feel' smaller than us, so I guess that if they used the same sizing system as us it would mess with their minds too much lol a US size zero is a UK 6 I think.

I am not 100% but I know it follows a rather odd pattern that drops one size to start then the gap changes in the smaller sizer. weird.

I am now a UK 10/12 and I was wearing UK 18/20 this time last year.

It took a photograph of my bum in my jeans to realise that I needed new ones! I could still 'wear' my size 14 jeans quite happily until I saw a picture of me from behind and it looked like I did something in my knickers lol so I went upstairs to my daughters bedroom and tried on her jeans..size 10 and hey presto, they fit, I didn't have to even lie down, struggle or breathe in! lol I am still wearing some trousers in a 12 but jeans are a 10 and no muffin top either. That is the thing that worried me, the whole thing you see around. Big girls shoe horned into jeans that they think they fit because they can get them done up, but the muffin top is saying hey girl you need a BIGGER size!

Go to the shop and try on some things, you might be surprised!!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I've gone down 2 sizes with a 20 pounds loss. This is from diet and exercise combined.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    From an 18 to a 16 was about 22 pounds, but from a 16 to a 14 was about 15 pounds.
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    I also think it depends on the brand of clothes you are trying on also, I know some clothes run larger than others, meaning you can get into a smaller size. And for me its not the pounds that came off that could make me get into smaller sizes, its the inches because now I'm doing strength training and really not loosing much weight, but haven't went back up in a bigger size.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    I tend to drop a size every ten pounds, so I'm on the cusp of dropping down another size right now. I lose weight in my waist first.
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 713 Member
    I've heard that it's 10 lbs a size, roughly, but that doesn't apply to plus sizes. From size 14 down that rule, give or take, applies. And yes, of course it does depend a bit on where you carry the weight, and if you're strength training as well
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    I started out at a size 18 at 241.8lbs. After losing 15lbs (I weighed about 225lbs) I went down to a 16, and then I didn't see a drop in size until I was 205lbs. I now fit into size 12 (I weigh 190lbs now), but even these are getting very loose.
  • I was barely fitting into a size 18 at 231, now I'm 214 and 18's are too big but 16's are tight. who knows! it all depends on the clothing. I'm almost able to button my 16's so I'm very excited about that!!
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    I have lost 26 pounds and no size change yet. But honestly I think because I've started so heavy (260 pounds) that the clothes become more generous and less form fitting the bigger you go!

hmm i completely agree. i started at right around the same weight and the only difference i feel is my pants need a belt. i think 20 more pounds and we'll start to see a difference. i dont even care about the clothes i cant wait for the double chin to go!
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    It was about 30 or 35lbs lost that I found I could wear a smaller pant size.

In total thus far, I have lost 4 inches in the waist, 44" to 40". I have lost at least 10 inches around my belly. 3XL to 2XL in shirts.
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    well, i haven't gone to try on new clothes, but i sure do have to hike my pants up an awful lot lately, and that's only at 6lbs lost. which really sucks (not really) since i just got 3 pairs of pants recently from a gift certificate my dad gave me for christmas. i am not even going to wear them in a little bit before i will have to buy new ones. curse you weight lose!!!! haha

I also have 2 new pairs for xmas that I haven't worn. I'm hoping to exchange them for a smaller size. :)
  • this is a helpful thread!
  • raising2ells
    raising2ells Posts: 47 Member
    Down 27 lbs and I haven't lost inches or sizes. My lower legs and forearms have changed...that's about it :(
    Yep, that's me too.......I've lost ALMOST 25 (24.4!) and I'm basically still the same size, just a little less "puffy" all over. :) My problem is that all my jeans are HUGE on me in the butt and thighs, but the waistband still cuts my circulation off. I'm definitely "circle shaped." I have almost NO waist right now. :( I'm still waiting for the inches to come off noticeably.

I have had to "retire" one pair of jeans, but they were SO big to begin with -- they were only tight for the couple of months before MFP when I was at my alltime highest weight.

Still waiting on having to buy new clothes....... :(:(:(
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    I am down about 17 pounds now and have gone from a size 14 to a 10 or 12. I just bought 2 pairs of 10's at Talbots the other day and surprisingly they are high waist and fit in waist despite the fact that I am very thick in the middle but have relatively narrow hips. At first when I lost weight it was mostly in the upper part of torso (over ribs, below bra line) so my pants didn't change much for a while. I also lost more inches off my hips initially but my waist is finally starting to shrink.

I tried to get some khaki cotton pants in Eddie Bauer this weekend but 10's were tight and 12's loose so I will wait a few weeks and see what happens. I bought a sweater and a shirt in a medium there and was always wearing a large before.

I also bought 2 pairs of cute workout pants in a medium but think I will wait a few more weeks to retire them. Some of my large pants are too big though esp if they are low riding (they fall off my hips). If they pull up to my waist, they still fit.
  • light1980
    light1980 Posts: 158 Member
    I also think it depends on the brand of clothes you are trying on also, I know some clothes run larger than others, meaning you can get into a smaller size.

I agree. My heaviest (182) I was wearing size 12 pants,but I had some size 12 pants that did not fit me. Now at 160.5, the 12's that fit me, are now to big and I have to wear a belt, and the size 12 that didn't fit me now fit me and with some of them I have to wear a belt too. I was even able to get into a 9/10 pair of pants (they are stretch) and another 9 pair, but I won't wear them yet because I know if I sit down, it won't look pretty! :-) I
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    I have lost 26 pounds and no size change yet. But honestly I think because I've started so heavy (260 pounds) that the clothes become more generous and less form fitting the bigger you go!

hmm i completely agree. i started at right around the same weight and the only difference i feel is my pants need a belt. i think 20 more pounds and we'll start to see a difference. i dont even care about the clothes i cant wait for the double chin to go!

I agree with both of you. I started at 280 and have lost 23 lbs. Was wearing 22/24 but now much closer to the 22 end of the range. Had to put a few more holes in my belts, and will probably see more of a difference after about 20 more lbs. But boy, when my double chin goes away, woo hoo!!! Watch out!! That will be my clear indicator that my Serena Williams body is on its way back!!!:laugh:
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    From an 18 to a 16 was about 22 pounds, but from a 16 to a 14 was about 15 pounds.

This was almost exactly the same for me. But getting from a 14 to a 12 was about 10 lbs. Getting to a 10 was only 5 more lbs!
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    When I first started losing weight I was a 16 - but honestly probably more like an 18 but didn't buy any new clothes and wore a lot of stretchy pants.
    I didn't get into a 14 til I lost about 40lbs. I was 180.
    I got into a 10 when I hit 165.
    I am 150-152 now at a size 8.
    I don't think I'll get these hips into a size 6, but I would like to get down to 140-145 and would be ok being in an 8 still. A loose 8.

It all depends on the person, I guess. I have a small waist, but larger hips and thighs. My waist is a 28/29, but my hips are a 39/40.
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    the first drop in size was about a 20lb loss or so. I started at 327 lbs a size 26/28. I am now 250-252 (i yo yo) and wear a size18/20 or 22 depending on the clothes. I went from a 44 DDD to a 42 DD. But I am still losing. I went from a 4x to a 1or2X so I am very happy. Still working at it. I want to get down to a size 8/10 but I would be pleased with a 10/12. So working my rump off. I can tell you that I wore the same jeans until a belt buckled the material too far that it pinched my skin and when they started falling off me as if someone depants me. I decided to get rid of them.I swore I was going to buy suspenders. But hubby complained enough that they looked like I took a crap in my pants I had to get rid of them finally.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I lost 15 pounds, from 172-157 per the scale I owned at the time, in 2009 (when I started MFP) and went down 2 sizes, 12 to 8. I began working out heavily, lifting weights, and the weight loss stopped. I went back up a size and 5 pounds last fall when I quit counting calories and ate a bit over maintenance.

I am losing again now, but have a different scale, so the actual weight is not the same as above. Anyway, I'm down the above 5 pounds plus 3 more, and my size 8's are getting loose :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.