Something new to do with ground turkey?

Options

Replies

• tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Spicy Meatballs with Fiery Chili Sauce
    (when I make these I give the kids the meatballs plain and add the chili sauce for my husband and I)

-1 pound ground turkey
    -8 Tablespoons of cooked brown rice
    -1 teaspoon of dried parsely
    -1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
    -1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    -1/2 teasppon minced onion
    -sweet chili sauce
    -salt and pepper to taste

-in a medium bowl, combine turkey, rice, parsley, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper; mix well
    -with a Tablespoon, scoop meat and form a ball with hands
    -place meatball in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet
    -bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or until the meatballs are done
    -mix meatballs with chili sauce

We eat these like this as our meat or we get whole wheat sub buns and make hoagies.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Ground Turkey Stroganoff

-1 pound ground turkey
    -1 small onion chopped
    -1 cup of mushrooms sliced
    -1/2 cup of peas
    -1 can of cream of mushroom
    -1/3 cup of milk
    -1 teaspoon of garlic
    -1/2 teaspoon of salt
    -1/2 teaspoon of pepper
    -1 cup of sour cream
    -noodles or rice

-Cook turkey and onion
    -add mushrooms and peas, cook and store 1 minute
    -stirn in soup, milk, garlic, salt and pepper
    -bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes
    -stir in sour cream, heat gently do not boil
    -serve over noodles or rice

That looks SO good and different! I'm going to have to try this. Thanks!
  • SunLove8
    Options
    Thanks all ( keep them coming :) ) I basically do subsitute ground turkey for beef now, I'm just tired of the same old recipes and have ran out of ideas. The ideas that come to my mind, my daughter wouldn't like.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I read on another thread someone that is going to make sloppy joes with ground turkey. Sounds good and kid friendly to me! Also, turkey burgers are good, but tend to be too balnd for adults.
  • adurfee
    adurfee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I make black bean and ground turkey burgers, as well as turkey meatloaf. I finely shred some sort of veggies in both. Either zuchinni or yellow squash, or carrot if I don't have those on hand. It's great, cause the kiddos don't even know the veggie is in there, and they love it!
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Caribbean Jerk Turkey Meatloaf

-1/2 cup of boilng water
    -1/3 cup of couscous
    -1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
    -1 teaspoon of dried thyme
    -1 teaspoon of curry powder
    -1/2 teaspoon of cumin
    -1/2 teaspoon allspice
    -1/2 teaspon of ground ginger
    -1/2 teaspoon of salt
    -1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
    -1/4 teaspoon of paprika
    -1/4 teasppon of cayenne pepper
    -1 Tablespoon of oil
    -1 pound of ground turkey
    -1 egg white

-in a small bowl combine the water and the couscous, cover the bowl and let it stand about 5-10 minutes or until couscous has absorbed the water.
    -in a small nonstick pan over medium heat saute the bell pepper and all of the spices with the 1 tablespoon of olive oil
    -spray a 9 inch pie plate or a loaf pan
    -in a medium bowl combine the turkey, egg white, bell pepper mixture and couscous
    -put in the pan or pie plate
    -bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of the things other people have said.

Ground turkey taco, spaghetti, stroganoff, but my husband's favorite is CHILI!
  • SunLove8
    Options
    I make black bean and ground turkey burgers, as well as turkey meatloaf. I finely shred some sort of veggies in both. Either zuchinni or yellow squash, or carrot if I don't have those on hand. It's great, cause the kiddos don't even know the veggie is in there, and they love it!

Got a recipe for the black bean gand ground turkey burgers? That sounds sooooo good!
  • mrsbullard21
    Options
    My parents used to make a dish called porcupine meatballs a lot when I was a kid. They used beef back then but we all use ground turkey now instead.
    You basically cook rice - whole wheat is healthier - and cook it halfway. Mix the half-cooked rice in with turkey and whatever spices and seasonings you would use for regular meatballs.
    Form the balls and place them in a casserole dish. You'll put them in the oven until they're almost done, then drizzle them with some spaghetti sauce and finish cooking.
    We've always made jumbo size meatballs so they can be the main course.

Also, when we make burgers, we often use a beef-turkey mix. Sometimes the turkey can get too dry for burgers and doing about 80% turkey with 20% beef can help with that!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I make turkey meatloaf muffins.
    I mix in salsa with the meat along with an egg and some cooked quinoa (you can use brown rice instead).
    I divide the mixture between 6 large muffin cups and top each one with a bit more salsa.

I baked them at 350˚F for about 25 - 30 minutes (I forget so you just have to keep an eye on it the first time)

I made these before I started calorie counting so I've no idea of the nutrition info.
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    SOUTHWEST TURKEY BAKE

1 lb lean turkey
    1 can black beans
    1 c salsa
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 tsp roasted red pepper
    1 box corn bread….
    * for more flavor, cut a lime into slices and squeeze lime juice over finished product

Cook ground turkey till brown….mix in beans, salsa and seasonings….put in baking dish….
    In separate container, mix cornbread w 1 egg and 1 c low sodium chicken broth…spread breading mix over turkey mix topping w ¼ c mexican blend cheese and cook @ 350 for about 20 min…..
    Under 300 calories, serves 8 VERY FILLING AND VERY YUMMY!
  • SunLove8
    Options
    SOUTHWEST TURKEY BAKE

1 lb lean turkey
    1 can black beans
    1 c salsa
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 tsp roasted red pepper
    1 box corn bread….
    * for more flavor, cut a lime into slices and squeeze lime juice over finished product

Cook ground turkey till brown….mix in beans, salsa and seasonings….put in baking dish….
    In separate container, mix cornbread w 1 egg and 1 c low sodium chicken broth…spread breading mix over turkey mix topping w ¼ c mexican blend cheese and cook @ 350 for about 20 min…..
    Under 300 calories, serves 8 VERY FILLING AND VERY YUMMY!

That sounds delish! Thank you for adding the calories and servings as well :)
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Definatly tacos!~!~ sooo much better than beef.!~!

Maybe meatballs? I use ground turkey in mine and my husband and brother NEVER know that difference. I just make them exactly how I make the with beef. You can add a little worchestershire sauce to your reg meatball recipe to bump up the savoryness. (not sure if thats a real word,..lol)

I LUV turkey burgers. I mix the meat with a beaten egg (since the turkey is soo floppy) add a little bread crumbs if its soo soft for your taste and make them just like any other burger. I like putting some fresh basil and garlic in the meat and topping it with mozz and tomatos and drizzle some balsamic. Its my twist on bruscetta!~!
    Sometimes we use a little bread crumb but have never needed egg in our turkey burgers. I think Ya just gotta mush it till it's mooshy enough ;)
  • amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I make turkey burgers or meat balls, because they're lacking fat and tend to get a little dry if you don't cover them in sauce, I will add a fresh slice of whole grain bread that has been soaked in a couple of tablespoons of 1% milk. It keeps the meat super moist and I like knowing there's whole grains in my bread "crumbs".
  • adurfee
    adurfee Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Got a recipe for the black bean gand ground turkey burgers? That sounds sooooo good!

Hey! Here's my black bean and turkey burger recipe! You can alter easily to taste too, and whatever veggie you have on hand

3/4 C canned black beans, rinse and drain
    1 egg white
    1/2 C shredded zucchini (or yellow squash or carrot, both work great)
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    3/4 lb ground turkey
    I've added bread crumbs before too, usually 1/4 C at most for consistency and holding it all together power.

Mash the black beans coarsely, or to whatever consistency your family prefers. Add everything else. A tip about the vegetable : I shred really fine, so that once mixed, you can't even tell it's in there.....it passes by my 4 year old and 34 year old every time! Also, squeeze some of the moisture out cause you'll get a lot when shredding. But some is fine, it helps keep the burgers moist.

Mix together really well and form into patties! Then I cook on a frying pan using some Pam cooking spray, though I've also used oil. I tended to use a meat thermometer in the beginning, but I cook them so much I've gotten used to knowing when they're done. Then add whatever regular burger stuff you want!

They freeze really well, and cook from frozen really well too. I usually double the recipe (which says it serves 4 as written above) and freeze half. I can get 8-10 patties depending on how big I make them from an entire 20oz pack of the turkey.

Enjoy!
    =]
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Bump - Thanks
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Healthy stroganoff

1lb ground turkey
    1 finely diced zucchini
    1 finely diced onion
    1 c finely chopped mushrooms
    1tsp garlic salt
    1 can healthy select cream of mushroom soup
    1/2 c fat free plain yogurt
    3 cups steamed brown rice

In a non stick skillet coated with cooking spray brown turkey about halfway, add all the veggies and garlic salt and sauté til soft. Add soup and yogurt. Season with salt and pepper and heat through. Serve over rice
  • Kimsue226
    Options
    Can you share how you make the Greek style turkey burgers? Sounds good!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Can you share how you make the Greek style turkey burgers? Sounds good!

Kalamata olives and fat free feta mixed into the turkey. along with some seasonings and onion if you want.

I also top it with plain greek yogurt or homemade ztiki sauce, onions, tomato and organic buns. YUM!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Superfast Salisbury Steak

We used a blend of two kinds of ground meats for the patties. The turkey breast brings the total fat down while the ground round adds moistness and flavor. Serve with roasted vegetables, such as potatoes and carrots.

Prep Time: 7 minutes
    Cook Time: 19 minutes

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 patty and 2 tablespoons sauce)

Ingredients
    3/4 pound ground turkey breast
    3/4 pound ground round
    1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
    2 large egg whites
    Cooking spray
    3/4 cup water
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 tablespoons Madeira wine or dry sherry
    1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 (10 1/2-ounce) can condensed French onion soup (such as Campbell's)

Preparation
    Combine first 4 ingredients. Divide meat mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 6 minutes or until browned, turning after 3 minutes. Remove patties from pan; keep warm. Stir in water and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; add patties. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Uncover and cook until wine mixture is reduced to 3/4 cup (about 10 minutes).

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    210 (25% from fat)
    Fat:
    5.9g (sat 2g,mono 1.9g,poly 0.8g)
    Protein:
    27.4g
    Carbohydrate:
    10g
    Fiber:
    0.9g
    Cholesterol: