Something new to do with ground turkey?

Options

Replies

• DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Turkey Burritos

The filling for this recipe can be stuffed into a burrito, as it is here, or spooned into crispy taco shells. Either way, it's delicious. When served with Spanish rice, it's an easy fun dinner.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 burrito)

Ingredients
    Cooking spray
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 pound ground turkey breast
    1/2 cup water
    3 tablespoons bottled salsa
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
    6 (8-inch) flour tortillas
    1 cup (4 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese
    Preparation
    Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add chopped onion and minced garlic, and cook for 3 minutes or until onion and garlic are tender, stirring frequently. Add ground turkey breast, and cook mixture for 10 minutes or until the turkey is browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in the water and the next 5 ingredients (water through chopped green chiles). Cover mixture and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.

Warm flour tortillas according to the package directions. Spoon 2 1/2 tablespoons Mexican blend cheese down the center of each tortilla. Top each tortilla with 1/2 cup turkey mixture; roll up.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    329 (30% from fat)
    Fat:
    11.1g (sat 3.3g,mono 4.2g,poly 2.1g)
    Protein:
    24.2g
    Carbohydrate:
    32.5g
    Fiber:
    4.2g
    Cholesterol:
    63mg
    Iron:
    3.2mg
    Sodium:
    513mg
    Calcium:
    160mg
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    I make something called Mexican Casserole. Its really easy and so yummy. My husband loves it.

1 lb ground turkey
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can mexican corn (can use frozen if you want)
    1 packet low sodium taco seasoning
    1 box of whole grain noodles (anykind)

Brown turkey, meanwhile boil noodles. Once noodles are done, drain both noodles and turkey. Combine all ingrediants together and voila! One of our favorite dishes.
  • dtanyeri
    Options
    Ground turkey burgers are great, but do require some doctoring up to make them moist and flavorful. For a Southwestern version I combine the meat with one egg, shredded pepper jack cheese, finely chopped red onion and cilantro. Serve with salsa and a spoon of guacamole. For a Mediterranean version, I blend the meat with one egg, crumbled feta cheese, chopped parsley, finely chopped red onion, a minced garlic clove and sometimes chopped kalamata olives. Serve with a bit of plain yogurt and a tomato-cucumber salad.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet, but has been on my list. It's from allrecipes.com

Waistline-Friendly Turkey Chili

Ingredients

1 pound ground turkey
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
    1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
    1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1 cup medium salsa
    1 cup chipotle barbeque sauce
    1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
    1 cup corn kernels
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon dried cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup fat-free sour cream, for garnish (optional)

Directions

1.Heat a large, nonstick pot over medium-high heat and stir in the ground turkey, onion, garlic, green pepper, and red pepper. Cook and stir until the turkey is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Pour in the tomatoes, salsa, barbeque sauce, green chiles, corn, and black beans. Season with lime juice, cumin, red pepper flakes, chili powder, and cilantro. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the flavors develop, 1 to 3 hours. Serve with a dollop of sour cream on each serving.

Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 253 | Total Fat: 5.3g | Cholesterol: 47mg
  • kaehlere
    Options
    BUMP

I made turkey lettuce wraps last night, they actually turned out great!
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    Anywhere you use ground beef you can use ground turkey!!!
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Turkey Meatloaf!
  • curran80
    Options
    I am using minced turkey for the first time tonight and making a chilli.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    Use ground turkey and turkey sausage to make a chili. Load it up with chopped veggies like carrots, celery, and onions to also help boost nutritional value.

Also, turkey meatballs. Mix 1 lb of turkey with fresh dill, finely chopped garlic, onion, mushrooms, and reduced fat co-jack cheese. Sprinkle in poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper (all ingredients are too your taste, no exact measurements). Roll into mini balls or sliders and fry in a pan of extra virgin olive oil. I usually eat with a sliced up tomato, yummy!
  • tsumpter
    tsumpter Posts: 491
    Options
    I have found that kids can be difficult to trick @ times but this one had my 9 yr. old & my 15 yr. old fooled. I stuffed yellow, orange & red peppers (the yellow, orange & red pepper help with the flavors) with 1/3 ground chicken, 1/3 ground turkey & 1/3 ground beef. I could have cut the beef out but they would have caught it. The beef was enough to give it taste and keep it moist. I added alittle extra seasoning than I would have if the meat was all beef. I used alittle Italian breadcrumbs and egg whites to help give the filling so texture. Poured a spoon of sauce over the peppers & baked.

They are really good.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    Italian Turkey Loaf

1 lb Honeysuckle Fresh ground turkey 85/15
    1/2 tube Honeysuckle ground turkey breakfast sausage
    1 1/2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs (I used Great Value)
    1/2 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
    2 large eggs
    2-3 cloves garlic finely diced
    1/2 cup red onion, diced
    3/4 cup finely diced celery
    3/4 cup finely diced carrots
    3/4 cup finely diced mushrooms
    Italian Seasoning (to taste - I put in a good amount)
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    Garlic Powder to taste
    (topping) 1/2 cup Cheey Ragu Light Parmesan Alfredo Sauce

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease Loaf pan or small square pan.
    2. Toss all ingredients, EXCEPT Ragu, together in a large mixing bowl and mix with hands until well blended.
    3. Place mixture in loaf pan or make a loaf shape and place in baking dish. Bake uncovered for 40 min.
    4. Remove from oven and pour the Ragu sauce over evenly on top.
    5. Place back in oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.

Per Serving:
    315 calories, 15 fat calories, 21g carbs, 21g Protein, 15g Calcium
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    One thing my daughter loves is meatloaf! I read a recipe in a magazine that would help make your kids eat more veggies, to make bite sized meat loafs using a muffin tin! Chop up some veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and whatever else you might like and put them in the meatloaf, then portion it out into a muffin tin! They are fun and delish! Of course use your ground turkey in place of beef! :D
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I made this Turkey Loaf the other night it was super tasty.

Ingredients

* 1/2 pound ground turkey
    * 1 egg
    * 1/4 cup salsa
    * 1/8 cup chopped red bell pepper
    * 1/8 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
    * 1/4 cup chopped onion
    * 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
    * lemon pepper to taste

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. In a large bowl combine the turkey, egg, salsa, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, onion, bread crumbs and lemon pepper. Mix well with hands until blended. Press mixture into a loaf pan.
    3. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.

I doubled the recipe and it came out to 267 calories per serve (6 servings). I served it with a side of carrots I roasted in the oven with balsamic, olive oil and Italian herbs lightly sprinkled on top.
  • bmhicks627
    Options
    Ground Turkey Stroganoff

-1 pound ground turkey
    -1 small onion chopped
    -1 cup of mushrooms sliced
    -1/2 cup of peas
    -1 can of cream of mushroom
    -1/3 cup of milk
    -1 teaspoon of garlic
    -1/2 teaspoon of salt
    -1/2 teaspoon of pepper
    -1 cup of sour cream
    -noodles or rice

-Cook turkey and onion
    -add mushrooms and peas, cook and store 1 minute
    -stirn in soup, milk, garlic, salt and pepper
    -bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes
    -stir in sour cream, heat gently do not boil
    -serve over noodles or rice

Yum... on the menu for this week. We hate peas, so I think I am going to add green beans.
  • Lacole216
    Options
    Spicy Meatballs with Fiery Chili Sauce
    (when I make these I give the kids the meatballs plain and add the chili sauce for my husband and I)

-1 pound ground turkey
    -8 Tablespoons of cooked brown rice
    -1 teaspoon of dried parsely
    -1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
    -1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    -1/2 teasppon minced onion
    -sweet chili sauce
    -salt and pepper to taste

-in a medium bowl, combine turkey, rice, parsley, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper; mix well
    -with a Tablespoon, scoop meat and form a ball with hands
    -place meatball in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet
    -bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or until the meatballs are done
    -mix meatballs with chili sauce

We eat these like this as our meat or we get whole wheat sub buns and make hoagies.

This sounds so delicious I'm going to have to try this one. Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I make black bean and ground turkey burgers, as well as turkey meatloaf. I finely shred some sort of veggies in both. Either zuchinni or yellow squash, or carrot if I don't have those on hand. It's great, cause the kiddos don't even know the veggie is in there, and they love it!

Got a recipe for the black bean gand ground turkey burgers? That sounds sooooo good!

Hey! Here's my black bean and turkey burger recipe! You can alter easily to taste too, and whatever veggie you have on hand

3/4 C canned black beans, rinse and drain
    1 egg white
    1/2 C shredded zucchini (or yellow squash or carrot, both work great)
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    3/4 lb ground turkey
    I've added bread crumbs before too, usually 1/4 C at most for consistency and holding it all together power.

Mash the black beans coarsely, or to whatever consistency your family prefers. Add everything else. A tip about the vegetable : I shred really fine, so that once mixed, you can't even tell it's in there.....it passes by my 4 year old and 34 year old every time! Also, squeeze some of the moisture out cause you'll get a lot when shredding. But some is fine, it helps keep the burgers moist.

Mix together really well and form into patties! Then I cook on a frying pan using some Pam cooking spray, though I've also used oil. I tended to use a meat thermometer in the beginning, but I cook them so much I've gotten used to knowing when they're done. Then add whatever regular burger stuff you want!

They freeze really well, and cook from frozen really well too. I usually double the recipe (which says it serves 4 as written above) and freeze half. I can get 8-10 patties depending on how big I make them from an entire 20oz pack of the turkey.

Enjoy!
    =]

Yum! Thank you, I'm going to make these this week :)
  • TimarieS
    TimarieS Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I make a turkey casserole,

brown 1 lb turkey, with 1 chopped onion and what ever seasoning you wish (i like mccormiks montreal chicken)
    put into a 9 x 13 casserole dish,
    add a can of corn (drained)
    top with mashed potatoes (i make them from scratch using smartbalance instead of butter and fat free milk, but you can use instant)
    top with reduced fat cheddar cheese (or any cheese you prefer)
    bake at 350 until cheese is melted

its super easy, and really really good! It is supposed to be made with hamburger, but i substitute turkey in everything, except meatloaf (i did try it, and thought it was gross!)
  • taralynne9875
    taralynne9875 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My kids love turkey chili or homemade turkey sloppy joes!
  • Myschelle
    Myschelle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    We love turkey and black bean nachos. Cook and season turkey, add black beans. Put mix ontop of your fav "healthy" tortilla (or salsa sun chips), sprinkle with mexican cheese. Heat until cheese is melted. Serve with rotels (chili/tomatoes) or salsa. Enjoy!
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I make these good sausage patties. I take a pound of ground turkey, 2 apples, grated, sage and cayenne pepper. I mix it all up and make them into sausage patties. I love those things!