Running 13 min mile...is it worth it to do a race?

Options
yanicka
yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
I run really slowly. I am about 13 minutes mile and I would like to do a few 5k and half marathon. All that is great and dandy but is it worth it? I mean it I will be the last one to cross the finish line. I have feedback from when I was in school and always picked last in the team. Or when I tried to play badminton and people were laughing at me!!! Should I just wait until I am faster?

Replies

• k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If you are running to win, probably not going to happen. If you are running it for exercise and for fun (which in my opinion is what you should do) I say go for it.
  • bdavenport62
    Options
    You should totally do the race. I'm not that fast either (10 min miles as of now) I don't even call them races really. I'm just like "hey i'm doing a 5k" or whatever. The only person I worry about racing is myself. And don'tbe concerned with the other people, they will just be worrying about themselves too. You will definitely not be the last to finish.
  • sarahtroupe
    Options
    I say YES!!! Go 4 it.. U will get better in due time:)
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You should totally do the race. I'm not that fast either (10 min miles as of now) I don't even call them races really. I'm just like "hey i'm doing a 5k" or whatever. The only person I worry about racing is myself. And don'tbe concerned with the other people, they will just be worrying about themselves too. You will definitely not be the last to finish.

Even if you are the last to finish...Who Cares?! Just do it for the exercise.
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Do it for yourself and no one else. Try to make a personal best with each run . When I first started my weight loss journey, I couldn't even run one time around the track! So the fact that you're thinking about 5k's and marathons is a huge KUDOS to you!

Keep up the good work and keep on keepin on!
  • KatherineVictoria
    Options
    I ran a half marathon last year and ran 12 minute miles... They are totally worth it! Plus you might end up running faster on "race day" just because of the people around you! It's quite a rush, plus everyone running I've found to be super nice. Even if they are running past you they still turn around to tell you you're doing a great job!
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Are YOU worth it? Of course, you are.... the only person's opinion that matters is YOURS! Go for it and have fun~
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I run about a 15:30 min/mile pace and I've done 7 half marathons and am currently training for my first full. I have been last in several 10Ks and I promise you, it doesn't hurt. I say do it and have fun!!
  • marissa0728
    marissa0728 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    5K and 1/2 marathons are for fun and they are for you!!! I have done 2 5Ks this year, the first one I jogged in 47 mins, the second one I did it in 36 mins. For me, that was a huge improvement and I was very proud of myself for crossing the finish line. My friends and I are thinking about doing the warrior run in Georgia this May, and I will cross that finish line even if I have to crawl across it. So go for it!!!!
  • ItsMeTime
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY go for it! You will feel very accomplished when you get done. And from personal experience as a slow runner (11-12min miles) I had much more success when I tried to add distance to my runs than when I tried to increase my speed. It took me forever to be able to run a 10 minute mile and I couldnt keep the pace up, but it only took a matter of weeks to be able to run 8 miles. Just my experience, but this is a good running plan if you want to get ready for longer races.

Day 1: Interval Run
    Day 2: 2 Miles
    Day 3: Lift Weights
    Day 4: 3 Miles
    Day 5: Lift Weights
    Day 6: 4 miles
    Day 7: Yoga

Once you can run for miles, start alternating between 4 and 6 miles for your "day 6" run. Then once you can do 6 without walking any, start alternating between 6 and 8 miles for your "day 6" and so on.

ENJOY YOUR 5K!!!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I tried to play badminton and people were laughing at me!!! Should I just wait until I am faster?

:flowerforyou: I really feel for you because reading your post just gave me flashbacks of playing 'Red Rover'!!! Or tetherball!!!
    (Not hard to beat to me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: shortest kid in the class and not an agile jumper...:grumble: )
    I have been pondering the same question - am I ready to enter a race? I'm pretty slow and obviously I wouldn't be racing to win, but running for the fun of it.

I think I'll just have to 'get over myself' :laugh: :glasses: - do I really care that much if I"m dead last? If the old timers finish before me? Not so much...
    I think that as long as it's fun, I'll be okay. I know you will too!!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Ha!!! You will so not be the last to cross the finish line. I just did my first 5K this weekend and over 300 people were behind me. My mile is not much faster than yours. Do the race!!!
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Absolutely do it! I'm training for a 10K in May and my goal is to break 70 minutes (still in the high 11's). I had a post earlier about running, and I also subscribe to free emails from runnersworld.com that include inspirational quotes of the day. One thing I've gleaned from these is that you're not running to beat anyone. You're doing it just for you.

There is a pretty thin sliver of elite runners who are out there to win. Most everyone else is doing it for the challenge and to keep in shape. If those are your goals, then go for it!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Goodness girlie --- you are light years faster than me... and I still enter races. Its fun ... you get stuff.... and I have never been last.
    My first half in Miami I was convinced I would be last ..... and I wasnt... 250 some people finished after me.

I ran a just more than 15 min/mile for the race ..... and I am still proud that I finished.

Enter --- do ---- be --- it gives you something to work towards as well!
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    Yes run a race. You will have fun and set a personal record. I am slow compared to many but running with 20,000 others in Chicago was a rush. Catch the spirit and soar.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    my first 5k was finished at 42+ minutes and i had to walk/run it. Trust me, i wasnt the only one doing it and i wasn't the last one to finish! I did a "walker-friendly" half marathon last September and paced at just over 15 minute miles. Was that fast? no, not really. But i walked at 4.0mph for 13.1 miles and THAT was something to be proud of! I think you should GO FOR IT!! You probably won't be the last one to finish and even if you are, you still set a personal record and now have a benchmark to shoot for for your NEXT 5k!

Oh, and google John "the penguin" Bingham for all sorts of inspirational reading for us "slow" runners :)

"“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” – John Bingham
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    OMG! DO IT :) You will LOVE it! Great people and a great time, confidence builder and you will LOVE IT! I guarantee you will NOT be last
    I do it for me, for my own records and my own accomplishments and I am completely addicted. You will absolutely LOVE every minute of it --- Great great time! I did my first 5k at 12:45 minute miles and there were tons of people after me! I just did a 10k last weekend and I was a little faster, but I did the whole thing without stopping so that is MY personal best :) had an absolute ball, plus I've felt like superman ever since :) Friend me so I can nag you :)
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    my first 5k was finished at 42+ minutes and i had to walk/run it. Trust me, i wasnt the only one doing it and i wasn't the last one to finish! I did a "walker-friendly" half marathon last September and paced at just over 15 minute miles. Was that fast? no, not really. But i walked at 4.0mph for 13.1 miles and THAT was something to be proud of! I think you should GO FOR IT!! You probably won't be the last one to finish and even if you are, you still set a personal record and now have a benchmark to shoot for for your NEXT 5k!

Oh, and google John "the penguin" Bingham for all sorts of inspirational reading for us "slow" runners :)

"“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” – John Bingham

I LOVE the penguin!!!!!
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, do it. Even if you come in last place, you won't, 13 minute miles though not if very respectable. Besides you are faster than all of those other people sitting on their couches.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 14 years and 12-13 minute miles is my steady distance pace. You won't be last and on the day you'll be faster than in training, I guarantee.

Also try run/walk in training. You may find you do a faster average speed at run 3 minutes/walk 2 pace. Good luck!