Running 13 min mile...is it worth it to do a race?

Options

Replies

• tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I run at your pace and it is worth it to do races. I call them "events" in my head though. And I usually try to check previous year's results to see how long people take. Chances are you won't be last. Races are good motivators. Have fun!
  • Clare78
    Options
    Do it! I did the London Marathon at your pace. Was honestly one of the best days ever and I passed many other fitter, faster runners who hadn't paced themselves properly and struggled to finish. You have absolutely nothing to lose and you'll gain an amazing sense of achievement, as soon as you've done your first race you'll be looking for your next one to enter!
  • JeanK56
    Options
    When I saw this topic from one of my friends who had commented, I just had to comment. I haven't even read any other responses yet.

Definitely do it! I am a 13+ min runner. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you are, you are out there moving and that is fantastic. You can run a portion of it, walk a portion of it, walk it all, it doesn't matter.

My first 5k was a charity event in June 2010 and I raised $300 for it. So I had to do this event and I was so scared! But I did it and it was phenomenal! The next 5k was for fun on July 4th and I had a great time with that as well. All along I was training for my first triathlon and that was the biggest rush I have felt since giving birth to my children! Definitely do it! I am 55 next month and am going to be doing at least 2 or 3 5Ks over the course of this summer as well as 2 sprint triathlons and the swim relay of another tri.

It is worth it!
  • JeanK56
    Options
    "“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” – John Bingham
    [/quote]

That was my motto last year!
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to mention that chances are you will run faster during the race because you will be running with other people. Just be careful not to start out too fast.
  • robertheathfield
    Options
    I love racing. So I would encourage any one who is running regularly to participate in a race now and then. In fact if your local area has a race season then if you have some running fitness blow your regular training away and focus on just running the races. However, don't think of it as racing against yourself only but engage in the spirit and race to do your very best. This way you will get the most out of the occasion both physically and emotionally and you will be encouraged to better yourself each time. Best way to train for races is to split the distance up into four lengths and time each quarter as if you are only running the quarter. Knowing the route and having a closer goal should mean you will get faster. In fact you only need to train two thirds of your race length when training for speed. Just remember not to race your long slow runs all the time don't forget to take a break.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes. I find races keep me motivated and keep me training. Compete against yourself, and yourself only. It's pretty fun to set a new personal record every time you run :-)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    HELL YEAH! GO!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I run really slowly. I am about 13 minutes mile and I would like to do a few 5k and half marathon. All that is great and dandy but is it worth it? I mean it I will be the last one to cross the finish line. I have feedback from when I was in school and always picked last in the team. Or when I tried to play badminton and people were laughing at me!!! Should I just wait until I am faster?

All the 5k races I have ran in, your time would not have had you crossing the line last by any means. I say go for it, enter that race.

ps just looked on the OPs profile and they have deactivated :(
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Depends on the goal.

If it's to place...no

If it's to finish...yes

And at 39 min, I doubt you'll be last.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    5K and 1/2 marathons are for fun and they are for you!!! I have done 2 5Ks this year, the first one I jogged in 47 mins, the second one I did it in 36 mins. For me, that was a huge improvement and I was very proud of myself for crossing the finish line. My friends and I are thinking about doing the warrior run in Georgia this May, and I will cross that finish line even if I have to crawl across it. So go for it!!!!

Blimey, that was a massive improvement there!!! Do you have anymore 5ks lined up?
  • EvEboEvie
    EvEboEvie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Get out there. I've done a 5k where I, and I mean this in the most literal way possible, came in second to last. SO THE FREAK WHAT? I still did it! And as I've lost weight and gotten stronger I've gotten faster. My next 5k is in September and I bet you I won't come in second to last then! Have fun!
  • msmithevv
    msmithevv Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am right with you. I run right at a 13 minute mile. I have done lots of 5ks and I am typically not last. However, my goal is always to finish and to beat my time from the previous race. If you are worried about finishing last check out the results of the 5k from the previous year to see the finishing times. I am sure you will see that you will not be the last one. I am also training for a half marathon. I am not doing the half to win it, but to finish it. For me finishing it is winning even if I am last. And as my sister always tells me - You are way ahead of those who chose to stay home on the couch. :happy:
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Of course you should! I'm slow (12-15 min miles) but I can run that whole thing. And I have ran several 5ks and never been in last place. You can do it! As someone who is uber competetive I had to realize the only person I can compete with is me. So that's all I'm concerned with. You gotta do this for you. Have fun and remember why you started running in the first place. You got this!!!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Go ahead and sign up for a 5k if you understand that you probably won't win. I ran a 5k fun run in memory of a friend back in March just a few weeks after I had started running. Not only did it help me train better after the race (I studied the forms and cadences of the faster, more experienced runners in front of me) but I shocked myself and had tons of fun in the process! I ran about an 11-minute mile at the time (I'm down to about 8 or 9 with this hot weather, 7 when it's cooler out) and was the fifth person done. I LOVED the experience and I'm planning on at least one more 5k (possibly more but I have to work out further plans with a running buddy who lives pretty far out of town). It wouldn't hurt to try the race! Afterall, you can just walk it if you need to (people did that at my race and no one -- I repeat NO ONE -- seemed bothered by it; we were all too busy to focus on our own time to compare it with others').
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I am right with you. I run right at a 13 minute mile. I have done lots of 5ks and I am typically not last. However, my goal is always to finish and to beat my time from the previous race. If you are worried about finishing last check out the results of the 5k from the previous year to see the finishing times. I am sure you will see that you will not be the last one. I am also training for a half marathon. I am not doing the half to win it, but to finish it. For me finishing it is winning even if I am last. And as my sister always tells me - You are way ahead of those who chose to stay home on the couch. :happy:
    I absolutely love that last line! I'll have to remember that on my bad days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's worth it. My first couple 5Ks I was running about that time. You gain experience and knowledge. I'm faster now and throwing a 10K into the mix this fall, as well as a 6 mile obstacle course run. Just keep at it...keep training...become adept at 5Ks and then start doing some 10Ks...then 1/2 marathon, etc.

I'm actually getting a bit bored with running races so next year I'm trying my hand at a few triathlon sprints. I couldn't imagine having even contemplated such a thing a mere 9 months ago. Just keep at it. My goal is to Ironman in 5-6 years.
  • HeartzDezire
    HeartzDezire Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely run the 5k! I am doing my first one this weekend and I am definitely not running to be in first place. I am running for myself and to say that I completed a 5k. I am working on bringing down my time so what better way to run than to start there. Go for it! You can do it!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    YES you should. As a dedicated slow runner and someone who actually HAS finished a race last (my first marathon) I can tell you that every race is worth running, and there is no such thing as too slow to run a race. Honestly tons of people walk 5ks and half marathons, if you run at all you are ahead, if you don't you're still ahead of all of those who didn't bother to go out. Go run YOUR race, and enjoy the swag that comes with it, after all the person who finishes a 5k in 20 minutes and the person who finishes in an hour get the same medal!

I also recommend reading anything by John Bingham, especially the book "No Need For Speed" very inspirational :)