Should I ? OR Shouldn't I? Biggest Loser!

Options
Well, The Biggest Loser is having a casting call here in Portland, Oregon this coming Saturday the 26th, 45 minutes from where I live! I am wondering if I should maybe give it a shot and go and apply. I have 3 sons but 2 of them are younger, 9 and 12 and need me here. I also have 2 dogs and 2 cats that no one wants to watch if I should make it. I think your gone for 3 months or more, not sure. I have lost 42 pounds so far but still have 115 more to go, so I think I would be a good canidate. What do you guys think? I have been wanting to try for this for a long time now but either way, I'm going to do this even if I have to do it on my own! A penny for your thoughts?! Thanks.

Denise

Replies

• Franticantics
    Options
    Go for it!
    With regards to the kids and pets, when there is a will,there is a way :)
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I think you need to make yourself number 1 for a change and go try out if you are successful then there must be someone who is going to look after your children and your children can look after their pets x I know its not an easy decision but there's no harm in trying out everything else can be sorted once or if you are successful x
  • shaunus1970
    Options
    If you think you will benefit from it, and if you think that you can take the time out of your life to do it, then what have you got to lose, except some pounds... and I think its easier to do things like this when you have a group of like minded people around you - you can motivate each other.. so I say go for it
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I feel differently from your other posts here. I can totally understand why you want to try out but I feel your sons need you right now because of your recent divorce and kids that age really need a steady parent around consistently. Three months is a long time to children that age. Is there something else you could do that would be like the Biggest Loser but locally?

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • tansyg
    tansyg Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you dont have anyone who wants to watch the kids or animals then I dont really think its fair to go for it. I think you can only really take three months out of your life if you have people willing and able to step into your shoes at home. Of course the biggest loser is an amazing way to lose weight, but it is not the only way. Why not pretend you are on the show already and exercise during all the free time you do have and count your calories on MFP.

Find the dedication within yourself
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I feel differently from your other posts here. I can totally understand why you want to try out but I feel your sons need you right now because of your recent divorce and kids that age really need a steady parent around consistently. Three months is a long time to children that age. Is there something else you could do that would be like the Biggest Loser but locally?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

This is definately something to think about, I don't know why It totally blanked my mind?! This divorce and new girlfriend bit for the ex has been hard on all of us, lord knows if I leave they might have a new mother when I get back! I guess I just got excited to see it was this coming Saturday as I thought it was last Saturday and had missed it. Your probally right, not a good time to go, I'm still going to do it on my own though with the help of all my friends here on MFP! Thanks All !
  • mandyreadsbooks88
    Options
    If you need any help getting to your goals, we are all here!
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with where there is a will there is a way, but I also KNOW that it's not always possible. Without help with your children and animals, it's impossible. We just had the biggest loser here and there was a women with a young son who entered. She struggled with being away from him a lot, but she also always use him as an inspiration because she wanted to keep up with him. And she made it to the final as well. But she seemed to have a big family around her.

If you do find a way, good luck, you will not only lose weight, get fit, but seems like people there bond a lot, so you will find a new friends. :smile:
  • downtome
    Options
    If you dont have anyone who wants to watch the kids or animals then I dont really think its fair to go for it. I think you can only really take three months out of your life if you have people willing and able to step into your shoes at home. Of course the biggest loser is an amazing way to lose weight, but it is not the only way. Why not pretend you are on the show already and exercise during all the free time you do have and count your calories on MFP.

Find the dedication within yourself
    True. I have been a member since Nov. 26th last year, have logged on faithfully almost everyday except when I was sick. I have lost 42 pounds so far to show for it! Thanks supportive friends! Yeah, having second thoughts now. I know I can and will do this on my own but it doesn't hurt to dream.
  • downtome
    Options
    If you need any help getting to your goals, we are all here!
    Thank you! I trully appreciate all the support over the months!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It would be great to go, but clearly now is not the right time. You will make great progress on here regardless, and be happier because you have family round you - state of mind is probably the most crucial factor in getting in shape...

Best regards, David
  • tonyavanwinkle2
    tonyavanwinkle2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I believe you should go for it. I'm sure you've got friends & family that would help you. Yes, your family has gone through some hard times recenty - EVERY BODY does and it is hard on everyone involved. However, looking at your goals below I believe that if you did this for YOURSELF (when's the last time you did something just for you?) that 1, you'd be happier and 2, you'd be healthier. Know what those 2 things equal to me? A happy & healthy Mom who is showing her children what willpower can do, who is showing them that it is good to be healthy and take care of their bodies, and who is showing them that she cares enough about them to get healthy for them!

I don't have as much weight to lose as you, but my children are my biggest cheerleaders, because they know a happier Mom - is a better Mom. Who wants grouch for a Mom, know what I mean? They ask me every day, what did I do at the gym and did I like it. They give me a nibble off their cookie or nachos and no more because they know I'm trying to watch what I eat. They are even willing to try a few new foods. When your kids have got your back...you can't ask for better motivation.

Talk to your kids about it - see what they say. Their advice will speak volumes. And then go out there and try it. Who knows if you'll even get in, but don't regret not attempting it. Let them see their Mom as a fighter. :) Good Luck!
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    "I'm still going to do it on my own though with the help of all my friends here on MFP! Thanks All!"

That's right! And we are definitely here for you and want to see you succeed!!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Think which is the healthiest and most sustainable way to lose the weight too. If you've succeeded so far with slow and steady, why switch to quick fix?

Stay home, not for the kids, but for your long-term success.
  • ShonzG
    ShonzG Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi, maybe you should try for it, but make your final decision if you are accepted..... You may be worrying about nothing, and I'm sure that if you decide not to do it, they will be able to find someone else to fill your place...

Shonz
  • Rhian_81
    Rhian_81 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If it isn't broke don't fix it!

You're doing a great job by yourself and you're around for your children to see you do it. 42lb already is fantastic, and you met your target early. So you have proven that what your currently doing works. If you were struggling to motivate yourself into making the right choices and do sufficient exercise I may have said otherwise. I agree with other posters who have said where there is a will there is a way. But you're sustaining great, guilt free weight-loss without having to compromise family time on your own.

My household are playing our own version of biggest loser and this is a great motivation to achieve a healthier lifestyle using MFP. I don't see it as a quick fix but lifestyle change and its working really well.

Good luck with your decision
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You are already doing a great job with some fantastic numbers down. You don't need a TV show to help you, you are already on the right track.
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    I'd go for it. Push boundaries and comfort zones. Life is about living and what you experience doing so. My two cents anywhoo :) Keep us informed!
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are already doing a great job at home. Yes it will take longer but hopefully that will leave you more determined to stick with it.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I would say Dont do it ONLY because we can see that you can do it at home. 3 months really is a long time to leave your family, i mean you can see that in episodes where the parent will leave the children and be astonished how much they grow within a few month. Im not a parent, but i could only imagine. I have a friend at home who is gonig to try out for the BL bc he is OVER 450 pounds and cannot do it on his own (bc it is seriously about time he does something about it) He broke his ankle bc he tripped and fell on it and that was his turning point, He's trying Weight Watcher, but needs exercise to make him more motivated to lose the weight. Look At my pictures on my profile, you can see a night and day difference with my pictures although it was less then 10 pounds loss between my 1st and 2nd? I WOULD LOOOVEE to do the BL, but i know im not big enough to go on. and bc of that i need to do it here, but i know if they can do it i definatly can do it! and so can you! :drinker: