question for early morning gym goers

Options
If you go to the gym first thing in the morning when you get up, do you tend to eat anything before you go? If so what?

Thanks,
Opal

Replies

• mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    depends.

if im doing cardio. not really. just a pre-workout supplement...like jack3d.

if im lifting(only if afternoon is impossible), then i'll eat breakfast!!! lol
  • ashleighk2010
    Options
    I don't. I'd feel sick if I did. I usually don't have an appetite for a couple of hours after either!
  • aschultz9
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, but I workout at home early AM. No, I don't eat. Just some coffee.
  • annaholden65
    Options
    I'd collapse if I didn't! Banana on a slice of wholemeal toast (no butter) or porridge.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Since its hard enough getting up at 4:45am, I just eat a banana on the way to the gym. Then I eat when I get back. I lucky to work from a home office so I can do that. If I had to go from gym straight to work I guess I'd have to modify that routine.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Only coffee :)
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Its personal i didnt use to. I exercise at home in am. But I just really up my workout and now find that if I dont eat something (1 scoop protein and a powered mega vit) I don't have enough energy to bring to that workout.
  • LJPurvis
    Options
    I do not eat anything. Just water and coffee.
  • LisaLN
    LisaLN Posts: 54
    Options
    I get up @ 4:15am and make it to the gym by 4:30am. I don't eat before I go, but I look forward to breakfast when I get home. I allow enough time to enjoy the morning rather than feel rushed. I leave the gym no later than 6:00am and I'm in the shower by 6:30am.
  • azalea30
    Options
    i go to the gym in the morning I personally dont eat anything but like others have said a small peice of fruit is good nothing to solid or liquid, ot usually would make u sick if you are doing cardio. but i think it depends on everyone some people differ and need some good food before they train. I think it depends on your normal body clock and the time you usually would eat to when you train. ok ill stop rambling on hope thisi helps :) P.S I love gym in the mornings it gets you all ready for a long day of being healthy
  • Janelle3927
    Options
    I'd collapse if I didn't! Banana on a slice of wholemeal toast (no butter) or porridge.

same here. I work out at home starting at 5 which is really too early for me to eat and some mornings I wake up hungrier then others but i cant work out for more then 10 minutes without feeling like I'm going to pass out. A fruit is good for natural sugar/energy but like people have said not too much liquids, all that sloshing doesn't feel too good :-/ and a good protein shake afterward!
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    depending how im feeling i may have a peice of dry 12 grain toast(4:45)...and i always have coffee. then its on to water at the gym (5:15)and a protein shake right after the gym (6:30). then about 9:30 i have oatmeal, then lunch at 11:45.
  • Swilson87
    Options
    I did for a while thinking my energy would be zapped if I didn't. Now I don't eat anything, and really, I don't feel any different really. It's a personal thing, but if you choose not to, just like eating healthier, and losing weieght you get used to it.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    If you go to the gym first thing in the morning when you get up, do you tend to eat anything before you go? If so what?

My alarm goes off about 5:45. If I train mornings I'll be in the club at doors opening (6:30am).

Whether I eat before depends what I'm doing. My cardio is fasted. My lifting isn't.
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before i get moving in the morning or I get sick from not eating.

I usually choose between instant weight control oatmeal (sometimes add blueberries); one egg and one egg white sandwhich with whole wheat bread and half slice cheese. 2cups of coffee.

usually eaten at least 30mins prior to workout to let settle and wake up alittle- my stomach hates early mornings lol

cant run a car without gas-fueling up lightly is probably a good idea
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I used to just have a piece of fruit, then a trainer at my gym suggested I try to get more carbs and protein before exercise (I do weight training in the morning). The way he described it was that if you have some carbs for your body to use as energy, you have more fuel for your workout and can push harder and get a better workout.
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I get up around 6:15 and am at the gym by 6:30. I don't eat anything. I do 30 minutes or cardio, shower and go home. I get ready for work and eat breakfast when I get to work at 8:30. I do drink 22 oz. of water while at the gym though.
  • Ratgirl35
    Ratgirl35 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I get up around 6:15 and am at the gym by 6:30. I don't eat anything. I do 30 minutes or cardio, shower and go home. I get ready for work and eat breakfast when I get to work at 8:30. I do drink 22 oz. of water while at the gym though.

That's pretty similar to my routine. My time is pretty tight int he morning and find myself feeling better if I dont eat.
    I drink a lot of water in the morning and eat breakfast after I get my shower and get to work.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Nope. I can't. I get nauseated if I eat extremely early. I'm on the treadmill usually at 4:30 am when I go.
  • ambernwms
    Options
    Do you have any recommendations for a morning work-out that doesn't included dvds or walking outside? I want to put together a quick 20 minute routine to get me going in the morning. (After work I go to the gym and do the elliptical for 30 minutes and then I do 30 day shred L1.