I AM PROOF, It works like a charm!!

Options

Replies

• ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    agreed! well said! your metabolism is a fire - it needs fuel! if you give it too much fuel, it smothers. if you give it too little, it dies out. i make it a habit of eating at least half my exercise calories, sometimes more - but i'm always over 1200 calories! i generally net between 1500 and 1600.

I'm doing this(eating at least half but sometimes more) during the weekend. Weekends i end up over and not exercising. BUT now I got an exercise bike that I will do in front of others where as my dvd workouts I feel weird doing in front of people other than my daughter. It was working before I got sick for a week with a virus and ate quick junk and gained a pound back. I've gotten back on track this week and hoping for some loss on Friday's weigh in.
  • Flawlessk
    Options
    Thankyou, that's really helpful.

I'm definitely going to make sure i have my breakfast, lunch and dinner every day now and force myself to eat, even when i don't feel hungry xx
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Awesome for you, keep it up!!

I've been stalled on overall weight-loss myself, but I've still been losing some fat. I found that upping my protein has helped and now I'm starting to lose again too :smile:. The more I do this the more I realize cutting more calories than you're allotted is never the right answer!
  • shellyxxxxx
    Options
    thanks for this post i was really all confused about net calories so is your net calories the amount youve eaten through the day including your exercise cals sorry for being thick n all x lol
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I was one on the fence about it all but didnt want to risk gaining by trying "new" things! I will make sure I eat most of my workout calories!
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    thanks for this post i was really all confused about net calories so is your net calories the amount youve eaten through the day including your exercise cals sorry for being thick n all x lol

This is how it works

Say my daily calorie goal is 1200 but then I burn off 600 while working out, that 600 is subtracted from the daily goal leaving me with only 600 net calories. That means I have to eat back the 600 I burned off to bring my net calories to 1200.

The calories you burn is always subtracted from the calories you've eaten so what you burn off has to be added back to bring you back to 1200.

I hope I explained it so you could understand it, sorry if I confused you more.
  • mandyarostegui
    mandyarostegui Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this!! I am still scared to eat all of my exercise calories... but I try to eat a little more than half of them! But this just may be what pushes me to eat them all!
  • parkygirl
    parkygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you sensei! I will try this. I am willing to bet it's going to work!
  • Hannah_92
    Options
    What if I workout before bed? Should I use the calories burned for the next day? Message me!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Guys, don't feel guilty about eating your exercise calories - remember that MFP has calculated a calorie deficit into your basic goal amount. When you excercise you need to eat so your net calories come back up to your goal amount.
    Otherwise your body will be running on very little fuel - not good over a long period of time.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Great work you! How can we expect to work out effectively if we're not giving ourselves enough energy to do it?
  • tracyd25
    tracyd25 Posts: 3
    Options
    Great post and 100% accurate...Right now I'm trying to convince my sister who SHOULD BE on 1770 cals a day to lose 2lbs per week she burns about 1000 odd cals at the gym at least 3-4 times a week. But she only eats lunch and maybe occasional dinner and has put on 9lbs in two months and can't figure out why and all she says is 'but I'm not hungry so why should I eat'...She just can't get with the idea of eating more to lose.

I have copied and pasted your post and emailed it to her, hope she now realises what I have been telling her from day one....eat eat eat lol.

Thanks

Tracy D xoxo
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Great post and 100% accurate...Right now I'm trying to convince my sister who SHOULD BE on 1770 cals a day to lose 2lbs per week she burns about 1000 odd cals at the gym at least 3-4 times a week. But she only eats lunch and maybe occasional dinner and has put on 9lbs in two months and can't figure out why and all she says is 'but I'm not hungry so why should I eat'...She just can't get with the idea of eating more to lose.

I have copied and pasted your post and emailed it to her, hope she now realises what I have been telling her from day one....eat eat eat lol.

Thanks

Tracy D xoxo

Bless her little heart. Oh my gosh. She works so hard and gains weight. I hope she will take this to heart and change her eating habits. That's the saddest thing I ever heard.
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this, eating back my exercise calories. I think this might be my problem with those last pounds that I need to lose to go to goal. I'm of course scared to try it since I don't want to gain back, but this past week i was perfect and gained 2 pounds! And I'm so close to goal that it has gotten so hard!

So I think I've been under-eating with saving those "burnt" calories up. I'm also of the pat myself on the back club for those exercise calories. I had been doing about 1450 calories, then I dropped it to around 1200. I also added more exercise to what I was already doing to try and boost my losing. It worked for a few weeks with good weight loss then only like .2 then boom...2 pound gain. From what I'm reading here, it sounds like my body had slowed down and was holding on to everything.

I started it yesterday evening after reading about it on here and it was weird eating those back, I had so much food lol! It just seems so wrong to burn those calories and eat them back...I guess that why so many resist it. I know that I still am fighting the idea of it!

Crossing my fingers...let's see how this goes.
  • Lacy1981
    Lacy1981 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am SOOO glad you posted this! I've been asking around to all of my "fit" friends...and they all weren't sure or gave be contradicting answers. I'm going to try eating the calories I burn too!
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aussie_nic_getting_fit
    Options
    thankyou, i need this..

i had been netting between 650 & 1000 for about a year.. Oblivious to the fact i really needed to be eating my exerscie calories, coupled with the fact, i just couldnt get my head around the eating more.

I worked so hard & have remained the same weight.. WELL NO MORE.. Last week, i upped my calories, started netting 1200 & increased my strength training.. I gained 0.5kg, but i am not discouraged...
    i had been unintentially under feeding my body for so long, i am sure that my body, is just holding on - until it realises, i am going to continue to "feed" it..

hoping for success this weigh in, but i will continue. i LOVE reading everyones success stories with eating more, its really helping me, not go back to undereating.. Thankyou :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    OP, thank you. I also had to learn this the hard way. You said it in such a kind and gentle way, that I know you have helped countless people.

You are excellent.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Thanks for sharing!