How much will i lose if i only eat

Options

Replies

• jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    And one other thing, if you ask for advice but have a smart answer back, why are you asking? We are here to truly help, get advice and motivation, not argue or convince anyone to change their behavior. That's up to you. BUT many of us are very experienced and have had a lot of success so you can either take the advice or leave it.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    That definitely isn't healthy. I don't mean to be blunt, but your picture looks like you are young, maybe early teen's... Do you feel pressured to lose weight quickly and that's why you're trying to starve yourself?

speaking of age if the pic is you than you are not 35 sorry

This person is some kid playing a game - been posting ridiculous things all afternoon. Said earlier she was in college.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    <~~ Seriously wonders why all of you wonderful MFPers would continue to try and educate this kid....Report sent...Wish I could call his parents or put him in time out :glasses:
  • jjmorrelli
    Options
    It sounds odd but I used to work out constantly and the trainers always told me I needed to eat more. When I started eating more and with exercise I lose weight. Your body just goes into starvation mode and does not use the nutrients correctly. Eat 5-6 meals around 300 calories. You will feel like you are eating a lot at first but your body adjust and actually becomes hungry every 3-4 hours you should eat or have a healthy snack.
  • MXZDrew
    Options
    Your body will evenually shut down and become extremely unhealthy! Don't do that to yourself!!!! No good. Plus when you do lose weight to fast eventually you will end up gaining it back plus more. Do it the helathy way and eat at least the minimum amount of calories for your height and current weight.
    so just try to eat some junk food?

His reply here sure looks like he is trolling to me... lets all just move along...Better to spend the time on those who will listen and not debate the advise you all share....
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I realize you feel like you are eating TONS, but your body doesn't needs a certain volume of food, but the calories
    (energy) that are in the food. There is no way that you are going to want to eat only salad with no dressing for the rest of your life, RIGHT? So eat healthy, but also eat foods that will give you more energy. If you continue to eat so few calories as soon as you go off the salad diet, you will gain back all the weight and more. If you are eating at the cafeteria at the servers/cooks what is in the pizza the days you eat it...at most schools they know the calories and other nutrition info about all the food they are serving. Good luck on your diet, but make sure you do it in a healthy way!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Your body will evenually shut down and become extremely unhealthy! Don't do that to yourself!!!! No good. Plus when you do lose weight to fast eventually you will end up gaining it back plus more. Do it the helathy way and eat at least the minimum amount of calories for your height and current weight.
    so just try to eat some junk food?
    no make healthy choices - pick proteins and complex carbs and healthy fats so that your hunger is truly satiated. And forget school lunches. I know all about that crap. My daughter is going through the same thing and all they serve is crap. It's really hard to manage your sugar levels when everything they have is sugar and white flour and fried. She said even their salads are gross. That's truly sad.

You are young. You could keep eating whatever you were eating and just MOVE more and you'd lose weight. If you MOVE more and make HEALTHY choices, forget about counting calories, you will lose weight. I would kill for my teenage metabolism again and my teen years were different because there wasn't a lot of fast food stuff around. There was like burger kind and mcdonalds, KFc and restaurants that's about it. Not like today with Mc'D's, Wendy's, BoJangles, KFC, subway (at least they have good food - other than the nitrate laden lunchmeats, but at least they offer lean (turkey) meats now).

Activity is your key. Ride a bike, play soccer, play basketball, JUST GET OUT AND PLAY!! Kids today (and I have 3 so I know of what I speak) are so spoiled - drive me here and there, I'm bored (thousands of dollars worth of video games and electronics) OMG I was outside everyday, walked or rode my bike everywhere I wanted to go, my friends and I used to do things, not just play sedentary games. Heck (I'm dating myself) I was a teen when PONG came out so you know I'm not bs-ing about this stuff. We did things with nothing and we took all day long to do it! We came home hungry and we were all thin naturally!!

I seriously suggest you just start making good choices and log everything you eat and try to get more active. It will take time to get going but once you do your body will be like wow! this is great - give me more food and it will start shedding those extra pounds! Please please please please do NOT try to diet with such a low caloric intake. You will get sick in the long run or make things worse by gaining back whatever you do lose and then some!!

Start making changes you can live with for the REST of your LONG life.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Personally, it feels inappropriate to give any advice or comment to a 14 year old.

Go talk to your parents. Good luck.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Guys, we need to be reporting these people who are underage and trying to starve themselves. They should not be on here getting ideas on how to starve themselves further. It's not healthy, and they need to be getting advice from professionals, not us.

Couldn't have said it better!
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    you guys are the ones not litsening not eating alot of calories isnt starving yourself << it depends on HOW MUCH you eat

Quit arguing with people. You've been on the site a few hours (with over 20 posts), the people giving advice have been here much longer than you and know what they are talking about. If you don't want to believe them, fine. But you asked for advice, don't be angry when you don't hear the advice you want to hear.

Plus, you are 14 still growing. Which means losing weight is different for you than others that are full grown. Get some education on it. Talk to a doctor, nurse, heck even your health teacher or gym teacher!

Plus you are 14.... this site is for 18+. Find a site tailored to teen weight loss.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Guys, we need to be reporting these people who are underage and trying to starve themselves. They should not be on here getting ideas on how to starve themselves further. It's not healthy, and they need to be getting advice from professionals, not us.

Agreed, but we were all, regardless of age, in his shoes. Really uneducated of our diets, how food worked, what calories were in what, etc. The OP probably just needs the basic guidance through diets and he'll be straightened out. I don't think he's looking for ways, or excuses, to starve himself. As he said, he's eating pizza and chicken nuggets. He is eating. Just not the right stuff. He's merely trying to figure out why he's not losing weight from what he's eating. Clearly its the pizza and chicken nuggets and there's probably some soda in there too.

Let's help him out, and not deride him for taking the time to learn about his diet.
  • hubbardmm
    hubbardmm Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous. You might lose weight, but you will plateau and when you go back to eating a normal, acceptable amount of calories you will gain it all back and probably more. The idea is to develop healthy eating habits to go a long with a healthy lifestyle - undereating is just as bad as overeating. If you're not hungry, you're not moving enough.
    thank you finnaly something helpfulL!!!!
  • hubbardmm
    Options

Agreed, but we were all, regardless of age, in his shoes. Really uneducated of our diets, how food worked, what calories were in what, etc. The OP probably just needs the basic guidance through diets and he'll be straightened out. I don't think he's looking for ways, or excuses, to starve himself. As he said, he's eating pizza and chicken nuggets. He is eating. Just not the right stuff. He's merely trying to figure out why he's not losing weight from what he's eating. Clearly its the pizza and chicken nuggets and there's probably some soda in there too.

Let's help him out, and not deride him for taking the time to learn about his diet.
    i dont drink soda and i never said im not losing weight i just started changing what im eating
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You say eat a lot of food, but food isn't measured in volume, it is measured in calories.

You say you aren't hungry so you aren't starving, we are not disagreeing with you, we are saying your body is in a state of starvation, the symptoms of this are not necessarily hunger.

You are on a low calorie diet. Low calorie diets put your body into what is called "starvation mode". This doesn't mean that you are are starving of hunger and feel very hungry. It is state your body goes into where it thinks it is starving because of how few calories it is getting. Since it isn't getting enough energy it starts reducing the functions of your organs (like your brain!) so they use less energy. Then it also starts to consume your muscles as fuel.

So by eating about 700 calories, your body goes into starvation mode. The few calories you do give it are either used up as energy or stored as fat (yes, your body can turn lettuce into fat.).

What you are doing is not healthy. Let me describe in simple terms how the body works and what you want to do lose weight (because you know what you are doing isn't working, that's why you are here).

The body needs energy to function. The measure of this energy is called calories. For you body to operate properly (functioning organs, muscle and tissue repair, growth) it has a certain necessary requirement, called a base metabolic rate (BMR). If you did nothing but sit and breath all day, your body would expend your BMR of calories.

Every form of exercise you do during the day consumes more calories. That how your muscle work, they burn calories to produce motion (just like a car burn gas to move). If you have an sedentary lifestyle where you don't much strenuous activity you still have to factor in the energy burnt from daily activities. You take those calories and add it to your BMR, that gives you your total daily energy requirement (TDEE). Your TDEE is how many calories you need to consume to have a well functioning body and maintain your current weight. Find out your TDEE here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Now that you know your TDEE you can easily find out how many calories you need to consume to lose weight. Subtract 500 calories from your TDEE and you will lose 1 lbs per week.

For example:
    If your TDEE is 2000 calories and you eat 2500 calories, you will gain 1 lbs a week. This because there are 3500 calories in 1 lbs of fat. (500 x 7 days = 3500) The excess calories you put in your body gets converted to fat for storage.

If your TDEE is 2000 calories and you eat 2000 calories, you will maintain your current weight.

If your TDEE is 2000 calories and you eat 1500, you will have created a deficit of 500 calories. Your body will make up that deficit by burning fat and you will lose 1bs/week. That is how a healthy functioning body works and loses weight

If you create too much of a deficit, you body goes into starvation mode and everything changes. Furthermore, the more muscle you have, the higher BMR you will have, and by being in starvation mode you lose muscle and lower you BMR even more. So you want to start eating more and doing exercise to build some muscle.

Now that you know all this, your next step is to learn how to eat right and what to eat. Just salad and 2 WW burgers won't cut it!
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Couldn't agree more! (sending you a friend request)

To the original poster: your only 14 (1) its great you want to be healthy but you NEED to eat healthy - not starve yourself! Exercise is also a key. (2) 40-50 lbs. in your picture that would make you bones, do you really want that? (3) you are starving yourself, you will end up very very sick (4) you are going to be hitting puberty soon and getting taller and from the looks of it be even smaller than what you are.
  • christalafarlette
    Options
    So, chiming in--- and go talk to your mom, or another adult you trust.

Shoot for 1200 kcal per day, anything less is too little. Here's the basics to the science: you eat little now, and your body will eventually (think a couple months, or less) into 'starvation''* mode. Once in starvation mode you will gain simply because your body will store everything it can. So, overall your hair, skin, nails, and all those external *things* will suffer as your body holds onto the nutrients --- because it (your cell structures) are not certain when you will truly feed them what they need again.

*Note on starvation mode: starvation mode is when you cell structures (to my understanding, I am NOT a doctor of any type) do not receive that they need calorie wise, nutrient wise, etc.

Okay, how to get 1200 when you REALLY like salad and stuff. Throw a smoothie in the blender for your morning meal. I am not a breakfast girl and this works great. Use a protein mix that has about 300 calories in it-- you are 1/4 of the way there. Lunch, have your salad, but add some chicken or another lean meat--or beans. Or other vegetables, or a banana. OR have some grain in your salad--adds fiber, calories, and nutrients. The key is your nutrients.....

So, why listen to me? 15 years old and my mom hands be a box of diet pills. I've done the salads, laxatives, meal replacements, delivery meals.... I've been there on the low carb, low fat, only one meal a day, etc. If you read, imagine, or do it---I've already done it. Result? At 44 (yes, do the math on this one) my doctor and I are figuring out how to overcome that many years of eating without thinking! And it is not a fun way to live... I have a daughter, I am a role model, and each day I have to remind myself that even if my stomach is 'shrunken' it is false. I have to eat and get in 1200... at least.

If I could do it again, go back to that moment, I would hand that stupid box back and change my destiny and relationship with food. I would eat for nutrition and hunger, and I would choose to be healthy...

And exercise. 30-minutes is a good start, and can be a walk....
    Oh, by the way, those lines in your nails--when you get them, if you have not yet, are one of the signs of nutrient loss....
    And talk to YOUR PARENTS, or another adult you trust.
  • hubbardmm
    Options
    im overweight i was sucking in as much as i could in that picture i actually need to lose that much to me at 140 pounds according to a bmi chart is where i should be normal weight
  • jjmorrelli
    Options

I don't think they are getting ideas... They are seeking help!!!
  • hubbardmm
    Options
    You say eat a lot of food, but food isn't measured in volume, it is measured in calories.

You say you aren't hungry so you aren't starving, we are not disagreeing with you, we are saying your body is in a state of starvation, the symptoms of this are not necessarily hunger.

You are on a low calorie diet. Low calorie diets put your body into what is called "starvation mode". This doesn't mean that you are are starving of hunger and feel very hungry. It is state your body goes into where it thinks it is starving because of how few calories it is getting. Since it isn't getting enough energy it starts reducing the functions of your organs (like your brain!) so they use less energy. Then it also starts to consume your muscles as fuel.

So by eating about 700 calories, your body goes into starvation mode. The few calories you do give it are either used up as energy or stored as fat (yes, your body can turn lettuce into fat.).

What you are doing is not healthy. Let me describe in simple terms how the body works and what you want to do lose weight (because you know what you are doing isn't working, that's why you are here).

The body needs energy to function. The measure of this energy is called calories. For you body to operate properly (functioning organs, muscle and tissue repair, growth) it has a certain necessary requirement, called a base metabolic rate (BMR). If you did nothing but sit and breath all day, your body would expend your BMR of calories.

Every form of exercise you do during the day consumes more calories. That how your muscle work, they burn calories to produce motion (just like a car burn gas to move). If you have an sedentary lifestyle where you don't much strenuous activity you still have to factor in the energy burnt from daily activities. You take those calories and add it to your BMR, that gives you your total daily energy requirement (TDEE). Your TDEE is how many calories you need to consume to have a well functioning body and maintain your current weight. Find out your TDEE here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Now that you know your TDEE you can easily find out how many calories you need to consume to lose weight. Subtract 500 calories from your TDEE and you will lose 1 lbs per week.

For example:
    If your TDEE is 2000 calories and you eat 2500 calories, you will gain 1 lbs a week. This because there are 3500 calories in 1 lbs of fat. (500 x 7 days = 3500) The excess calories you put in your body gets converted to fat for storage.

If your TDEE is 2000 calories and you eat 2000 calories, you will maintain your current weight.

If your TDEE is 2000 calories and you eat 1500, you will have created a deficit of 500 calories. Your body will make up that deficit by burning fat and you will lose 1bs/week. That is how a healthy functioning body works and loses weight

If you create too much of a deficit, you body goes into starvation mode and everything changes. Furthermore, the more muscle you have, the higher BMR you will have, and by being in starvation mode you lose muscle and lower you BMR even more. So you want to start eating more and doing exercise to build some muscle.

Now that you know all this, your next step is to learn how to eat right and what to eat. Just salad and 2 WW burgers won't cut it!
    thank you for this information :) i found it very help-full i thought food was all about volume and stuff ( and not eating fatty foods)
  • hubbardmm
    Options
    So, chiming in--- and go talk to your mom, or another adult you trust.

Shoot for 1200 kcal per day, anything less is too little. Here's the basics to the science: you eat little now, and your body will eventually (think a couple months, or less) into 'starvation''* mode. Once in starvation mode you will gain simply because your body will store everything it can. So, overall your hair, skin, nails, and all those external *things* will suffer as your body holds onto the nutrients --- because it (your cell structures) are not certain when you will truly feed them what they need again.

*Note on starvation mode: starvation mode is when you cell structures (to my understanding, I am NOT a doctor of any type) do not receive that they need calorie wise, nutrient wise, etc.

Okay, how to get 1200 when you REALLY like salad and stuff. Throw a smoothie in the blender for your morning meal. I am not a breakfast girl and this works great. Use a protein mix that has about 300 calories in it-- you are 1/4 of the way there. Lunch, have your salad, but add some chicken or another lean meat--or beans. Or other vegetables, or a banana. OR have some grain in your salad--adds fiber, calories, and nutrients. The key is your nutrients.....

So, why listen to me? 15 years old and my mom hands be a box of diet pills. I've done the salads, laxatives, meal replacements, delivery meals.... I've been there on the low carb, low fat, only one meal a day, etc. If you read, imagine, or do it---I've already done it. Result? At 44 (yes, do the math on this one) my doctor and I are figuring out how to overcome that many years of eating without thinking! And it is not a fun way to live... I have a daughter, I am a role model, and each day I have to remind myself that even if my stomach is 'shrunken' it is false. I have to eat and get in 1200... at least.

If I could do it again, go back to that moment, I would hand that stupid box back and change my destiny and relationship with food. I would eat for nutrition and hunger, and I would choose to be healthy...

And exercise. 30-minutes is a good start, and can be a walk....
    Oh, by the way, those lines in your nails--when you get them, if you have not yet, are one of the signs of nutrient loss....
    And talk to YOUR PARENTS, or another adult you trust.
    do you mean those white spots ?