How many calories do you burn strength training

Options
2»

Replies

• picklesuccess2013
    Options
    that's really helpful and comprehensive (better than anything a trainer has advised too) thanks! (n_77)
  • Daddio43
    Options
    I'm sure it's all over the board as to how many calories you burn but of course it depends on intensity. I would suggest wearing a heart rate monitor and really see how you track. This is kind of fun as in 90 minutes I typically burn around 700 cal give or take which includes a small cardio warmup and cool down with 8 to 10 exercises at 3 sets each on average. My heart rate can sky rocket really fast and maintain a higher rate as if I were to do low cardio depending on rest time between reps. Play with this. Don't forget to push your muscles a little bit even on small reps to trick them into thinking they need to build. This will increase afterburn (More cals) and maintain muscle memory. Low weight high reps is not good all the time. Switch it up and have fun. I'm not an expert but this is the advice given to me and it makes sense.

Hope this helps,
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I have burn between 330-500 calories for 45-55 min strength training.
    This is about average and pretty accurate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Hey guys how are you? Ok so I am a medical student almost a resident doctor. I am very disciplined for exercising and thought i share with you. Cardiovascular exercising is excellent for burning fat when you do interval training where you run at a certain speed to reach a high heart rate and then bring it down after a pattern series of time and continue doing that. Cardio will burn fat but also burns muscle at the same time! Therefore strength training is a must. Strength training not only burns calories and fat but obviously builds that muscle which is actually decreased with age and cardio. Therefore for a healthy body you must do healthy diet cardio and strength training. As we age muscle layer under skin depletes and fat layer increases therefore you may not see an increase in size if legs but under it all it is more fat. Prevent this by balancing strength training cardio and diet. Also for strength training never work the same muscle group everyday. It is researched and proved that all of our muscles need 4 days of rest before working it out again it is more harm than good to work out same muscle before the 4 days. So being in a busy life of work I do 2 days a week strength training for 90mins where i workout every part of my body with appropriate weights and form! I end up doing 490 reps and then in the 4 days gap I do 30 mins interval training on treadmill and then do strength trainging on 4th day. This is doable on a busy lifestyle and is more effective then anythig else most people do. Also strength training has a massive afterburn of calories affect after the intense 500 reps you do. Make 3 exercises for each muscles group and do 3 sets 10 reps each. Hope this helps cheers

Is this for real?

Pretty much! Unless you are talking about what/who he is, then I have no idea :)
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's all over the board as to how many calories you burn but of course it depends on intensity. I would suggest wearing a heart rate monitor and really see how you track. This is kind of fun as in 90 minutes I typically burn around 700 cal give or take which includes a small cardio warmup and cool down with 8 to 10 exercises at 3 sets each on average. My heart rate can sky rocket really fast and maintain a higher rate as if I were to do low cardio depending on rest time between reps. Play with this. Don't forget to push your muscles a little bit even on small reps to trick them into thinking they need to build. This will increase afterburn (More cals) and maintain muscle memory. Low weight high reps is not good all the time. Switch it up and have fun. I'm not an expert but this is the advice given to me and it makes sense.

Hope this helps,
    hrms do not work for strength training. different energy systems.

the only real rule is the more you lift, the more you burn.
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    On a good day i would burn 350-400cals =D