A Challenge - Make Me Like Eating Fish

Options
Heather75
Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
Hi everyone. I hate fish, so I never eat it. I challenge you to find me a fish recipe that is so yummy it will make me enjoy fish. I know I should eat it and I want to like it, but I don't.

Can you help?

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I tried this myself...I want to eat because its so good for us but I've tried everything...cooked so many different ways. I just don't like it! Except tuna fish for some reason...lol

I hope you have better luck than me!
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I hate fish, but I dont mind tilapia. It doesnt have much of a taste at all, so I'm sure you can season it with anything.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I can't stand fish either... so bumping this for some fish lovin' advice
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Bump b/c I'm in the same boat. I want to like it!

Don't you love how the only replies are people who want to like it but don't?
  • Mamakat25
    Options
    I can't stand fish either!! I HATE IT!

But I will eat canned tuna when i'm pregnant. (Which i know i shouldn't) The past few weeks i have eaten canned tuna about 4 times. I LOVE it with some noodles, Light Miracle Whip, Green onions and a little bit of mustard.

But other then that I can't stand it :sick:
  • Heather75
    Options
    Yes! It is awesomely helpful!

Actually, it's nice to know it isn't just me. When I say I don't like fish, most people look at me like I just told them a story about punching a baby in the face or something.

At the very least, we can all form a fish-hating club. I mean eating fish. I don't hate fish as individuals - just as food.
  • welcominganewself
    Options
    Tilapia or Haddock marinated in Teriyaki sauce and then baked or pan sauteed is delicious and only tastes like the sauce. White fish in general will take on the flavor of whatever you cook them in/ with.
  • Heather75
    Options
    How do I cook it so it doesn't have the texture of insulation?
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have never liked fish either. I have a friend who hails from the Dominican Republic, and man, let me tell you, when she cooks fish I just can't get enough!!!!! Whenever I ask her how she makes such good fish, she simply replies "What can I say- I'm an island girl!" Though I don't have any recipes for you, I would check out fish recipes from the Dominican Republic. Any kind of fish my friend makes is super delishious!
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Good, quality fish is key. The older it is, the "fishier" it is. Look for recipes that have you cook the fish with other ingredients in a packet (parchment paper or aluminum foil) as that imparts a lot of additional flavor that can mask the fish taste. Italian dressing does wonders for fish when cooked in a packet. Start off with milder, white-fleshed fillets (tilapia, sole, snapper, trout) and work your way up to stronger flavored, colored steaks (tuna, swordfish, salmon). Order sole at a reputable seafood restaurant and you'll be a convert!! I also recently read a tip in "My Life in France" by Julia Child that recommended soaking fish in a mixture of white vinegar and water for at least 5 hours before cooking to reduce the fishiness, but unfortunately it didn't give ratio of water to vinegar. Try searching for an answer to that online.
  • ziggythecat
    ziggythecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i used to hate it. then one day i just decided to try some and i guess my tastes had changed. i mean I don't love it like i do cheese or chicken but if i get bored of other proteins, i'll bake some salmon.

i like to just cut a few slices of onion and lemon/orange, coat it in a little bit of olive oil and cracked pepper then bake it all together.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Be careful you're not over or under cooking it.. that makes a HUGE difference. Baking is probably the best way to get an even cook all the way through.

I looooove baked salmon. I slice up a lemon or 2 and lay the slices in a pan in a line, throw the fish on top of the lemon, and top with more lemon slices. 350 degrees for about 20 minutes and yummy.

Tilapia is really good with salsa, you can throw some salsa in a skillet and cook the fish in with it about 4 minutes on a side. Only flip it once though! The fish will absorb the flavor of the salsa and you can use it in tacos or eat it with black beans or something like that.

Blackened or cajun seasoning is perfect for most mild fish. Any white fish is a good way to start because you can mask it and work your way up.

FISH ARE FRIENDS, *AND* FOOD!
  • Heather75
    Options
    Thanks to the fish lovers and the fish haters. At least we have some ideas to try, right fish haters?
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    hate it to
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Fish is great if you know how to prepare it correctly.
  • dawn454
    dawn454 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    fish...horrible! my sister loves it and has told me how to cook it what is the most mild and i still hate it! now she says ya you'll never like it...lol
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I used to hate fish too - turned out my mom just didn't know how to cook it right. Here are two things I like.
    1. Shrimp scampi with asparagus - 12-18 raw shrimp, lightly sauted in 1 Tbs olive oil and 1 Tbs butter with lots of chopped garlic. (You can also add a dash of dill.) Cook shrimp 3 minutes and flip them. Add chopped asparagus and continue sauteing until asparagus looks bright, but not limp. (about 3 more minutes). Take pan off heat, ad 1/4 cup lemon juice. Stir. Serve over hot pasta. Serves 2 people.

2. Sushi - I can't make sushi, but my gosh I love to eat it. It doesn't taste fishy at all, which is what most of us hate. My favorite is ahi or hamachi tuna. They taste nothing like canned tuna! Nothing! Give it a try. You'll love it. :smile:
  • Tinkywu
    Options
    If it's the texture you don't like try mashing it in with your potatoes!
  • mamawildbear
    mamawildbear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is the least "fishy" of all fish. You can mix a little parmesan cheese with black pepper and basil and coat the fish filets in it. Then bake them. You must make sure the fish is done cooking, If it doesn't flake apart easily with a fork, it isn't done. Undercooked fish is the grossest thing.

I also find that with food I don't like, preparing, handling, cooking it makes it worse for me. I got into eating fish by starting out in restaurants. It was way easier when someone else handled the raw food. You might also try the Sea Cuisine Tortilla Crusted Tilapia from Costco. All you have to do is put it in the oven from frozen. It is delicious.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i just tried cooking tilapia for the 1st time yesterday, and it turned out so yummy! i seasoned with lemon pepper, sea salt, crushed garlic, old bay seasoning, and thyme. then i drizzled with one tsp olive oil. broil on low for 7 min or until done.

with salmon, my fave recipe is maple salmon from allrecipes.com: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Maple-Salmon/Detail.aspx. great taste!