A Challenge - Make Me Like Eating Fish

Options

Replies

• eileen7316
    eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The Parmesan Tilapia (above) is a delicious dish - but with mayonnaise (ff or light), definitely NOT Miracle Whip! It would be too sweet!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I used to hate fish until I went to live in Japan. I think because I had only ever had cheap white fish. But I ate a lot of sashimi and really learnt to appreciate the delicate flavours of different raw fish.

I think fish taste 'fishier' when they are overcooked, and get that unpleasant texture. I had Mahi Mahi on a recent trip to Canada and found that REALLY fishy and not very nice.

But many fish have very delicate flavours and are spoilt if you put strong flavours with them. Mackerel works well with strong spicy flavours.

Most fish need little more than some oil and lemon and not a lot of cooking. I cooked whole trout the other night - put a knob of butter, a wedge of lemon, a crushed garlic clove and sliced mushrooms in the middle, wrapped it in foil and stuck in the oven for about 15 minutes 160 degrees. Lovely.

I do a lot of scuba diving and we frequently catch our own scallops. Nothing like chasing them along the seabed, then either eating them raw on the boat, or marinating them in chilli and ginger then pan frying for about 30 seconds. MMMMMmmmmmm.
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    If you don't like it, it helps to work up to it rather than just putting a big slab of it on your plate and expecting to enjoy it. You wont.

Try eating just a small amount mixed in with something else you like. For example, flake an ounce or two of a mild fish into a salad or into a pasta dish.

My doctor recommended I eat more chicken (after YEARS of not eating chicken at all) and I had to "hide" it in salads, pastas, and sandwiches for a while. Now that I'm more used to it, I can eat larger amounts and it doesn't bother me. Sometimes I actually enjoy it :)

Best of luck!
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • stephaniepill
    Options
    If there's a Trader Joe's by you - their frozen fish is pretty darn good. The "White Roughy," is a favorite of mine; it not only doesn't smell fishy, it doesn't taste fishy - it's very mild. I use dill, Nature's Seasoning, I Can't Believe it's Not Butter Spray, & lemon zest - bake on Pam sprayed foil per the instructions. Other good fish (my opinion, Tilapia, Haddock, Flounder, Sword Fish, Ahi Tuna. All can be cooked the same way as described above. You can also try cooking any of these in tomato sauce & top with Reduced Fat Parmesan, Basil, & Italian Seasoning. Hope this helps.
  • bunniemny
    Options
    I happen to love fish, so maybe I can't answer this objectively....but I find a really good tuna steak to be about the same consistency as a pork chop!
    I don't usually measure but will try to picture what I usually do and give approx measurements...
    I make a marinade of low sodium shoyu (its like soy sauce), some pineapple juice (maybe equal amts of the tamari and pineapple juice, sayy 1/2 cup of each), chopped fresh ginger (a huge tablespoon), and some crushed red pepper (maybe 1/2 tsp?).
    Let marinade for an hour or so or even all day.
    I often cook on a George Foreman grill or you could sautee in pan or throw on grill.

6 oz of tuna has approx 180 cal, and if you paired this with tons of veggies or huge salad, you could get by with only half the tuna steak for one meal so you could have the leftover fish on a salad for lunch the next day.
    I didn't bother to check out the nutrition on the other ingredients...
  • nurse_chris
    Options
    As bad as this sounds to fish haters, try sushi or sashimi (just raw fish with no rice). The friends that i have gotten hooked on sushi, were always turned off by the seaweed used to wrap it as it has an..... acquired taste. I love white tuna or salmon sashimi dipped in soya and some wasabi.

If you want to try something at home, i once read an article on cutting out calories and the doctor suggested mustard instead of mayo for tuna salad. I prefer French's brown spicy mustard and some cayenne for a little kick. The key to get rid fo the canned tuna taste is once prepared (add celery and red onion for some veggies), put the tuna salad in a zip loc container and refrigerate for a few hours so the flavours can blend together.

Good luck fish haters, you're missing out :)
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Fish is great if you know how to prepare it correctly.

So share your wisdom. Just smelling fish cooking makes me gag.... My husband makes sole in the middle of the night when I'm asleep. Or when I'm out all day (he leaves the windows open.)

Such a considerate guy.
  • steph5565
    Options
    Ahi Tuna (get sashimi grade, you'll thank yourself), marinate in lime juice, garlic, soy sauce and cilantro. Throw on a burner for a few minutes each side (I like it really raw). Put lime juice and cilantro on the finished product. If you're not a fish lover after that... then well, you don't have tastebuds :smile:

I also love salmon filets with lemon rounds, rosemary sprigs, salt and lemon pepper. Throw in the oven and make sure to not overcook and it's also divine!
  • kcalla
    kcalla Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do NOT like fish... but then my fish "expert" friend said, "when you see fish in you grocery store that is "fresh", it likely is prefrozen fish that has just been thawed. That is why I prefer to buy frozen fish."

Then she gave me this recipe and I tried it last week and my DH and I LOVE it! We will have it again!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Oven-Fried-Catfish-2/Detail.aspx
  • ZCRTR
    ZCRTR Posts: 2
    Options
    "If it doesn't have to come up for air to sustain life...I'm not eating it!" -Me!
  • xomakaxo
    xomakaxo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Salmon-- I disagree that whitefish is the least "fishy". To me, it smells the most. I don't really like it. Salmon, if bought fresh, can be the consistency of chicken (like tuna but less pungent), and has barely a smell. I got a side of salmon from costco and it came skinless (less annoying mess). I cook them in a pan on the stove (flip once, medium heat, don't let them turn white.. lol), since I don't know much about baking (temps and times). If you know how to bake, I would try that. It would probably turn out better. :)

Flavorings for two 5-oz chunks of salmon (Both family favorites):

Asiany:
    1 tsp Tonkatsu/Katsu sauce
    1 tsp Teriyaki Baste and Glaze
    Sesame seeds
    Garlic Powder
    Mix together sauces in bowl before applying lightly to one side of salmon. (Less is more! I apply it with the back of a fork.)
    Sprinkle sesame seeds and a little garlic powder over top.
    Good sides: Rice with furikake (japanese rice sprinkle) and steamed broccoli

Lemon Garlic Dill:
    Sprinkle lemon juice (Maybe a couple tsps per fillet)
    Garlic Powder (to taste)
    Dill Weed (I get it dried, from bulk section at Winco)
    Good sides: Roasted/baked potato, steamed green beans or salad

Other options (for white fish like cod, tilapia, halibut):
    -Shake n Bake (takes a lot of the flavor away and makes it taste more like chicken)
    -Beer-batter Fish n Chips (Usually breaded and fried, but try baked for less fat, get jojos in frozen section)
    -Dip breaded fish in ketchup mixed with horseradish. Spicy. :D
  • xomakaxo
    Options
    I love Salmon or Mahi Mahi fish......I like to cook Mahi mahi in a pan with a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Zantaran's Blackened Seasoning. Mahi Mahi is a white fish that really takes on what ever flavor you season it with.

Great idea! I forgot about mahi mahi! Awesome fish, grilled or baked or fried. Zataran's has a black bean and rice mix too and it would go really well with that.
  • xomakaxo
    Options
    Good luck fish haters, you're missing out :)

LOL so true! It makes me so sad that people don't like fish! Soooo yummy-- if it's cooked right!

BTW, you look like Elliot Stabler from Law and Order SVU. lolol
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    try making salmon patties/burgers using canned salmon...it's not fresh, but it might help you start eating fish!
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    Grate some ginger and put it on a salmon then pan "fry" it. Just use some olive oil sprayed onto the pan, cover and cook on low. Its done when its slightly flakey.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    So many helpful people. Thank you! I still haven't tried any recipes because I haven't shopped, but I promise I will.
  • heididormanen
    Options
    well step one is get GOOD fish.. It is one of the few places I will spend the money at someplace like Whole Foods. Fish shouldn't taste or smell fishy! I know it sounds strange but it is true. Don't be afraid to ask when the fish came in or even to smell it. If it looks mushy or to shiney.. pass on it. I do fish a few nights a week and here is what we do...

Salmon - many ways, last night we did it honey mustard style.. brushed on some mustard, put on some honey and put it in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
    other things I do with salmon, honey and soy sauce, lemon pepper.. Salmon is a good strong fish (that is really good for you) so It doesn't need to be over whelmed with seasoning

Haddock, Hake or any other light white fish - there are a million ways to do white fishes, kind of like chicken. We found a great fish seasoning bake - it is called Oven Fry for Sih I think and you can get it with the shake and bake stuff in the market. (great product for all meats too) but it is really easy and makes great yummy oven fried fish. We also season it up with salt, pepper, garlic and then add bread crumbs on top and spray with pam.. bake it at 450 for about 20 minutes.. YUMMY

Shell fish - we make stir fry mostly with shell fish. You can use any stir fry recipe you have and add scallops, shrimp or any combination and it comes out great. Scallops have a ton of protein!

Anyway.. those are some of my favorites!