Lavish Choc oatmeal

Options

Replies

• PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It can be very difficult to discern between someone who's giving constructive criticism and someone being sarcastic.

From my point of view, I don't think this person was intentionally trying to be demeaning/mean/rude, but it sure came off that way. I didn't get the impression that he was "concerned" - it came off as condescending.

I think there are a lot of people (registered on this site) that understand that pre-packaged foods -whether it's oatmeal or lean cuisines are not the healthiest choices.

Some of the recipes are not for everyday consumption, it's for that "I'm craving something sweet/salty" moment. That way you can cheat a little bit but not feel totally bloated and horrible for doing so.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    It can be very difficult to discern between someone who's giving constructive criticism and someone being sarcastic.

From my point of view, I don't think this person was intentionally trying to be demeaning/mean/rude, but it sure came off that way. I didn't get the impression that he was "concerned" - it came off as condescending.

I think there are a lot of people (registered on this site) that understand that pre-packaged foods -whether it's oatmeal or lean cuisines are not the healthiest choices.

Some of the recipes are not for everyday consumption, it's for that "I'm craving something sweet/salty" moment. That way you can cheat a little bit but not feel totally bloated and horrible for doing so.

Agreed. Said it best!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Not to change the subject ( okay I really want to stop this arguement so I'm changing the subject), but what is the difference between rolled oats and steel cut oats?
  • mrbunzey
    mrbunzey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am concerned for our nations health. I am concerned about yours and your childrens. If we don't change our eating habits we will self destruct. You may think I am extreme but I can assure you that I have lived what you may be going through. I have lost 40 lbs in my latest efforts and I have learned something very important about eating along the way. You live with cravings. They are created by all of the bad foods you eat. These are the same foods that seem fun now but will take years off of your life and cause major illness later in your life. Cravings are tough and when we diet they are so much worse than the feeling of hunger. Cravings are your appetite and you keep feeding it. As long as you are dieting to lose weight give some consideration to eating to be healthy. Start by elimination the cravings. To do that you simply need to stop feeding them. In a matter of weeks hey will go away and suddenly you willfind that eating healthy makes you fell better than you ever did. Check out the website for Dr. Daniel Amen. He is one of the nations leading brain experts. Learn what your eating is doing to your brain.

I apologize if I seem a little off the wall but I live around so many people that are suffering from bad eating habits and it is the last thing they will ever seek to change. I saw another persons quote this morning about change, but how about this one. The definition of crazy: Always doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Make a change that will dramatically improve your health and then teach it to your children. Take a good look around you next time you are out. See what this country has been teaching to itself.

I promise you that eating healthy is even better than eating the food you crave.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    So you are counting calories, good for you. Good effort but what about the really important things, like what you eat. Marshmallows in chocolate Oatmeal, who are you kidding? Haven't you heard, SUGAR is the number one killer in America. It is the reason that 2/3's of America is fat and for the epidemic of obesity and diabetes. Learn to curb your appetite for sugar or know that even if you manage to lose weight you will still not get healthy. I listen to friends that are batling with the devastion Diabetes has brought to their bodies. They complain that they can't understand as they have taken their medication religiously for the last 10 years to control the illness. The simple answer is that medications can only mask the problem but do not cure. Most cure comes from eating right. It is and always has been what they put in their mouths that has devasted their bodies and is now killing them. Start now to change your focus from your wieght and how you look to finding out how truly healthy you can be. Yes, do count calories, count healthy calories.

Just have to say, you better have a really sharp machete Mr. Bunzey, because it's a jungle here..all these people you need to shout at to reduce their sugar intake! It requires a lot of fortitude to be able to hack away at perpetual sugar ignorance, but I'm sure you're the right man to do it!
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @ sweet_lotus: packaged oatmeal is not recommended for diabetics, as it has a high sugar content. What type of diabetic (insulin dependent or insulin resistant) is also an important factor.
    HOWEVER, how do you think one becomes diabetic?? Genetics arent always the answer.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic, but, I'll answer. From what you wrote, I believe you're implying that sugar consumption leads to Type II diabetes?

Type II diabetes, which is what I assume you're referring to, is not caused by eating sugar. There is no evidence for that. Eating excessive amounts calories in the form of sugar can, over time, lead to obesity which is a risk factor for diabetes, but to claim that eating a package of rolled oats with added chocolate chips puts you on road to diabetes (as the initial critical poster did) is simply not true.

From the American Diabetes Association:

"Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.
    Fact: No, it does not. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors. Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories, whether from sugar or from fat, can contribute to weight gain. "

source: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/

I don't mean to open up an argument on this thread but i feel that it's important that dietary advice, unsolicited or not, is correct.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I think this will kind of answer your question. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel-cut_oats
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I think this will kind of answer your question. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel-cut_oats

Thank You!
  • elfie9863
    Options
    So you are counting calories, good for you. Good effort but what about the really important things, like what you eat. Marshmallows in chocolate Oatmeal, who are you kidding? Haven't you heard, SUGAR is the number one killer in America. It is the reason that 2/3's of America is fat and for the epidemic of obesity and diabetes. Learn to curb your appetite for sugar or know that even if you manage to lose weight you will still not get healthy. I listen to friends that are batling with the devastion Diabetes has brought to their bodies. They complain that they can't understand as they have taken their medication religiously for the last 10 years to control the illness. The simple answer is that medications can only mask the problem but do not cure. Most cure comes from eating right. It is and always has been what they put in their mouths that has devasted their bodies and is now killing them. Start now to change your focus from your wieght and how you look to finding out how truly healthy you can be. Yes, do count calories, count healthy calories.

((((((Buzzkill)))))
  • mrbunzey
    mrbunzey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you lotus lady! I understand and agree with waht you . I have a close friend that is diabetic and eats a gallon of ice cream every weekend as he is well aware of what you just articulated. He is so smart and unhealthy!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I am Type 2 Diabetic and in great standing with my numbers. I've worked hard to get that way.

I don't like marshmallows, never did. I do love my chocolate, cinnamon rolls and just about any other sweet. Chocolate didn't cause me to be Diabetic. Neither did the rolls. Altogether, my poor habits and not execising did!

This is why I hate having my diary open...the food police. But, it is for those that are genuinely seeking answers or suggestions. I refuse to listen to anyone criticize my choices. Unless someone wants to pay for my groceries, then by all means, criticize. :)

But, here's something I keep saying over and over to people. It was taught in my Diabetes class:
    You CAN still eat the things you love! You just need to determine HOW MUCH you can eat without throwing your numbers out of whack.
    They meant blood sugar, but it goes for all the numbers...cals, sodium, carbs, etc.

If you want to eat clean, that's your choice. My choice is to live healthy, with better choices and not give up everything. :)
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Chocolate oatmeal and Captain Morgan for everyone!

Some people choose to have a beer, a drink, a piece of candy... Pick your poison. We all know that these choices are not "healthy" but we still want to enjoy them.

Yes. Expect all sorts of responses to whatever you post on here but there is no need to go the extra mile. Take it easy. We will all learn at our own pace.

Now, take a bowl of chocolate oatmeal and a hefty glass of Captain Morgan and RELAX.

~Jo
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

Some people choose to have a beer, a drink, a piece of candy... Pick your poison. We all know that these choices are not "healthy" but we still want to enjoy them.

Yes. Expect all sorts of responses to whatever you post on here but there is no need to go the extra mile. Take it easy. We will all learn at our own pace.

Now, take a bowl of chocolate oatmeal and a hefty glass of Captain Morgan and RELAX.

~Jo

Yum!!! ;)
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

~Jo

Yum!!! ;)
    LOL Cheers!:drinker:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Captain morgans sounds good, but since I quit DRINKING :grumble: I'll just eat another helping of oatmeal :drinker:
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I like to add Captain Morgan's to my diet coke. How's that for un-healthy?? :bigsmile:

Bahahahahahaha! :laugh: :laugh: Love it! A skinny pirate!
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    @ sweet_lotus: packaged oatmeal is not recommended for diabetics, as it has a high sugar content. What type of diabetic (insulin dependent or insulin resistant) is also an important factor.
    HOWEVER, how do you think one becomes diabetic?? Genetics arent always the answer.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic, but, I'll answer. From what you wrote, I believe you're implying that sugar consumption leads to Type II diabetes?

Type II diabetes, which is what I assume you're referring to, is not caused by eating sugar. There is no evidence for that. Eating excessive amounts calories in the form of sugar can, over time, lead to obesity which is a risk factor for diabetes, but to claim that eating a package of rolled oats with added chocolate chips puts you on road to diabetes (as the initial critical poster did) is simply not true.

From the American Diabetes Association:

"Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.
    Fact: No, it does not. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors. Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories, whether from sugar or from fat, can contribute to weight gain. "

source: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/

I don't mean to open up an argument on this thread but i feel that it's important that dietary advice, unsolicited or not, is correct.

no no...you read wrong, my friend. If you are genetically predisposed to diabetes, you may not be aware, but you will quickly find out once you consume endless amounts of sugar. I should have spelled that out more clearly, sorry.
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    @sweet_lotus wait wait-- let me better clarify now that i went back and read EXACTLY what I wrote-- you can be a diabetic and eat healthy and never know it...BUT once you start consuming the excess sugar, carbs, etc you will experience symptoms and TA-dreakin-DA... Once again, should have worded it better...typed it quick and didnt re-read before I posted. Sounded better in my head.

to everyone: AND I'm still not trying to be sassy/mean/argumentative/judgemental/whatever. Im just saying...sugar=ok, too much sugar( in a diabetic or not)= the devil for everyone trying to lose stubborn weight. Im saying this BECAUSE, a.) when i first started to eat healthy, I was so oblivious to how much sugar I was actually consuming! And it was the key to jump starting my weight loss and getting me healthy. Once I lost track of that and drank soda, ate junk food again I gained everything and then some back. Its just a good idea to be aware of more than just the calories...counting calories is good, exercising is great, and really looking into what you eat=a truly eye opening experience. Just think of that old saying "you are what you eat!"
    My dad is right; he hates texts because things get misinterpretted. Im going to chalk it up to it's monday and everyones cranky and overwhelmed.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    So in my oatmeal I put 1 scoop of whey chocolate protein powder (Optimum Nutrition all natural), fresh blueberries, ground cinnamon and vanilla extract. It's like a dessert and very healthy. IT's a good clean food.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy too laddyboy :)