Why is it so hard to say 'I'm fat'?

Options
karenjoy
karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
I have noticed that on this site, and other weightloss things, that people really do struggle to use the word FAT.

We say heavy, big, large, big boned, curvy, large frame etc But lots of us find it REALLY hard to say 'I am fat'.

I wonder why this is? Why do people find that word in particular so hard? What do you call yourself? What do you call yourself to other people? Do you use the word fat or are you one of the 'heavy' 'large' 'big framed' 'curvy' people?

Replies

• QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have always and still call myself fat.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i call myself snazzy.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have no problem calling myself fat. But I know many people that have a hard time with the word.
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have always used it but I can understand why some would rather not!!! It is a harsh word....coming from anyone!!!
  • carrieloveshk
    carrieloveshk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I always say "I'm fat"... because I am. "Overweight" seems more polite though. lol
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Maybe because when people call you fat or call themselves fat it seems like they have the plague or something. It's not the best of words. I'd rather be called fat them obese!
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I really am not fat but i do have body parts that I consider fat. Others think i just look healthy. I say my stomach is fat and I have fat arms. But all around i am pudgy. I am 5'5" and weight 148 so I am not fat. But if I am not careful I could definatly get fat.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I didn't call myself fat when I was at my heaviest because I was in denial about my weight until I went to a family Thanksgiving and got on a scale for the first time in years. I never thought, "Wow, I'm so fat". I thought, "Wow. I weigh a lot more than I thought I did. I need to do something about it."

Looking back, that was almost 3 years ago. I have lost the weight and I can say comfortably that "yes, I was fat" because I was. I was obese according to my BMI. It is the truth and it doesn't hurt my feelings.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    i call myself snazzy.

Lol. Love it.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Me and the husband have no trouble with the word fat...we know we're fat..lol We sometimes use fat inspired petnames such as Fatty, Chunky Monkey, and my personal favorite, FATLANDMAGOO!!!! :bigsmile:
  • bonnykate
    Options
    I used to call myself "fat."

Then I realized that, at least in my case, saying "I'm fat" was actually me putting myself down, bringing all the negative cultural stigmas that accompany "FAT" onto my body and my person. All through my teen years, I thought that if I was skinny, all my problems would be solved - everyone would like me, boys would like me, and I would be happy. NOT TRUE (duh!). Saying "I'm fat" for me is to reduce myself back to this one dimensional stereotype, that my body size determines everything else about me. It doesn't -- I am a passionate, intelligent, beautiful human being with a lot to add to the world, and people who are worth my time will like me for those reasons, not because I weigh a certain amount or look a certain way.

Personally, I think the labels are meaningless -- exercising and eating right are means to an end of maintaining my body, not a end in themselves, and therefore I focus on embracing the body I have which allows me to experience this awesome world --- not restricting my body through labels.

That said, when I'm feeling less yogic, I definitely have been known to call myself "all chubby and *kitten*," but I really try to keep the negative ish to a minimum --- it's not helpful.
  • toddgaines
    Options
    I think the word just has so many hurtful connotations attached to it. People use it when they are seeking to hurt someone that is overweight. I had and have no problem attaching the term to myself, for me it's a motivator, but I know I really don't get offended easily. I would never use it in reference to anyone else because I know it can be extremely hurtful.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    im fat big deal lol its not putting myself down to say im fat,its just the way it is.Im working hard to change it but that is the reality of it
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Because fat and overweight is a difference of 10 pounds.
  • qtwells82
    Options
    I actually AM big boned....under all this fat :smile:
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I say fat.
    actually I think I say, I have fat............. Sounds better.
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm phat : D (I used to be fat though...and would use that word....I considered it kinder than saying "I am very obese" )
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I'm fat!!!!
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    Options
    I like to refer to myself as "fluffy" which comes right before "DAMN" !!!! LOL (that's from a comedian)
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I'm "gravitationally challenged".