C25K (Couch to 5 K) ~ Week 1

Options

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yay C25K newbies! Thank you to Atlantique for linking me in :flowerforyou:

I am on wk 1 though I am aiming for doing it 5 times a week until I hit week 3, which is going to be a MASSIVE challenge for me. :noway:

I have slowly been trying jogging before this, so although it hurts still like hell I did get through my cycles. I did it twice today cause I was annoyed I gained a kilo on my weigh in this morning. :laugh:

I'm so glad I found others who can help push me along as I try to achieve this goal, and hope to help motivate everyone too! :bigsmile:

Glad you found us! I was going to send you a PM if you didn't pop up over here. :)
  • Atlantique
    Options
    I wish I could report that I finished all the cycles, but I get so scared about falling on my face while on the treadmill if I get too tired. On the more positive side of things, I did complete my fastest mile to date! YAY!! My left ankle is kinda sore and I'm hoping that it'll go away before the next training day. Good luck to all!

Do as much as you can and feel good about it. There's no point in injuring yourself just to stick to the C25K schedule. I'm sure that at some point, I will have to work up to some of the days as the plan goes on.
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Whoohoo!!!!!! Week 2, Day 3 completed! Personally peeps, I found Week 2 easier. 90 second intervals were much better.

I started this programme 2 years ago, when I had absolutely no fitness whatsoever. My eldest daughter came with me and she was much fitter, bless her!! I couldn't get past week 1 at that time, so to complete week 2 is a major accomplishment for me.

My New Year's Resolution is to be able to run the 'Race For Life', here in the UK, in June. Don't care if I'm the slowest 'runner', but I want to do it!

Can't say that my 'running' style is particularly impressive, but that's the joy of this programme. You're not expected to be quick, that comes when you've completed the 9 weeks and can begin to increase your pace.

I've mapped a run, using mapmywalk, which is 5k/3.16miles-ish, ready for when I've graduated!!!

Wishing you all the very best for this challenge. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! Take your time and it will happen!!

LouiseXXX
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    I'm happy I just stumbled upon you! I started C25K on 3/01 !
    I'm slotted to do W1D2 today. I'll check in when my dog and I are done. Yes, I"m making my dog do it with me. I have a lab (the one in the photo) who doesn't get enough exercise and figured this is a good way to get her in shape, too. Luckily, SHE'S not overweight, though (but I am!) :blushing: So if I can do it, she can do it, too!
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in the middle of February!!
    I'm in the middle of W3 right now. Mind if I join in with you guys?? It'd be nice to have some support in this program - and I'd love to help motivate you all as well :happy:

My first day of W3 was horrible - but I think it's because I went too soon after I ate breakfast. When I started jogging, I could feel my oatmeal sloshing around in my stomach - such a horrible feeling!!

Just did D2 of W3 today, and it went better, but it's a real push for me, and I think that I'm going to end up doing more than 3 days of it so that I can be better prepared for W4.

Good luck to everyone who just started out!!

~ Meredith
  • mikerudy1
    Options
    I started W1D1 yesterday. I did better than I thought, considering I haven't run seriously in nearly 15 years. According to RunKeeper, my walking speed was about 3.5mph and my jogging speeds started at a 10:30/mile pace and actually increased to a 9:30/mile by the last rep.

I've been walking once a day for 15 minutes @ 3mph during my breaktime at work for the last 3 weeks, so that helped boost me up a little from nothing.

I'm looking forward to going out tomorrow morning for day two.

I have a goal of running in the Susan B. Komen Race For The Cure 5k on Mother's Day. That only gives me 9.5 weeks to go through this 9 week program. It'll be close, but I'm up for the challenge.
  • Bubbles2626
    Options
    Would love to tag along with you all ! I got up to week 4 back in the fall - then the snow started and I didn't have a gym membership so I gave in (to cold and too much snow for the trails). I now have a gym membership and would like to do it again! I might not be starting the same day, but will keep up!!
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Would love to tag along with you all ! I got up to week 4 back in the fall - then the snow started and I didn't have a gym membership so I gave in (to cold and too much snow for the trails). I now have a gym membership and would like to do it again! I might not be starting the same day, but will keep up!!
    Several of us are on Week 1, so jump on in!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone or iPod touch get this app: http://splendid-things.co.uk/getrunning/ It does the C25K programme. It tells you when to start running and when to walk. I find it much easier than keeping an eye on the time as I'm not yearning for the running time to end.
  • sixxbaby
    sixxbaby Posts: 543
    Options
    So how was Day 3 all??? I did ok, a little sore especially cuz I went to the gym for an hour and a half before the jog....re3member to STRETCH!!! It is sooo important. So again on Saturday I will be jogging and walking....
  • faithikins
    faithikins Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It was a lot harder to push through today. I am having a rest day tomorrow (walking only) then do another session on Sunday. Feels great so far.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I downloaded a C25K app for my phone. Hoping for nice weather tomorrow morning, so I can do W2D1 on an outdoor track. I can't wait to see how it will differ from the treadmill, where I did Week 1. So far, it hasn't been too bad, but I've heard how much easier the treadmill is than running outside. The outdoor track is flat, so I'm hoping it will be an easy transition.
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hey - I did week 7 day 2 tonight (my second 25 min all running) and loved it - its a fantastic program to get into running - I have really enjoyed doing every day of it and I now absolutley LOVE running! Enjoy doing it
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    W1D2 is complete. It was harder than day one... My legs were still a bit sore from day 1 and it was COLDER outside! I don't have access to a treadmill, so I'm doing this outside. And here in Pennsylvania, it's STILL winter. I'm hoping the weather on Saturday is supposed to be good so I can get my third week-1 session in!
  • mikerudy1
    Options
    Just finished Couch To 5k Week 1 Day 2 - 1.9 miles at a 16:15/mile walk and 10:30/mile pace. About the same pace as the first day, maybe a little faster on the walking and slower on the jogging. Feeling really good.

I felt some shin tightness (moreso when walking actually), but nothing I couldn't push through.
  • chazsucks
    chazsucks Posts: 170
    Options
    did second run today! wasnt too bad but i went a bit easier than i did the other day, think i need to take it slow! lol
  • HunnyLuvsJorge
    HunnyLuvsJorge Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing so great! I live in the PacNW and it's been typical rainy weather lately, so I've been doing all my running on a treadmill. W1D1 was tough... I didn't finish. :( W1D2 was still tough, but I went a little further than the last time. W1D3, I finished the whole cycle! I wasn't really paying attention until the guy on my iPod said "Okay...this is your last minute." I was just about to quit, but when I heard that I kept going and I finished! My 1 mile time was 14'37'. I'm so thrilled with this progress. I'm really working towards an 8 min mile one day, but for now speed is not the goal. I can't wait to be able to run the whole cycle. AHHH!!! :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Well peeps, I've had a shocking week food wise (the half eaten Terry;s chocolate orange says it all and I dont much like milk chocolate,,,)

Not done any c25k but I knew I would struggle with my schedule and combated laziness by shifting scaffolds and rubbish.

am looking fowards to week 2 because found myself frustrated and held back by week 1 at times, to the point of finishing on a 'jog as long as you like run' at the end.

for those (this includes me) starting on a treadmill (when the weather's nice outside I'll go) I saw something that suggested you should put the incline to 2 to imitate the wind and tensile resistance you'd get on the road. Personally I'm concentrating on actually completing....

hope to start wk 2 at the weekend - but am happy to fit in with people here and do a double day one day (may get a mucked up schedule again). Looby1968 - I've been toying with the idea of a June 5k target. am thinking about getting some friend motivated. may even try to drag them to MFP...
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Did W2D1 today outside on a flat track. It was hard at first because it was a little windy. But the app on my phone helped to keep me motivated. I definitely needed the 2 min. walk in between jogging. The walk time seemed to fly by. I'm really proud of myself, feeling like I actually will be able to do the 5K in June. :drinker: :bigsmile: I'm really slow right now, but I guess my speed will come if I keep at it. Have a great day everyone. I'm hoping to do Day 2 on Tuesday or Wednesday.
  • sixxbaby
    sixxbaby Posts: 543
    Options
    you guys are all so motivating, I LOVE it. I am gonna do Day 3 of week 1 today. Dreading week 2, I barely made it through week 1...