Gardening and seed exchange

Options
13»

Replies

• kathysherman
    Options
    I use those huge toy box type (big round plastic tub with rope handles) put holes in the bottom and a row of gravel or rocks for drainage and have been very successful in growing strawberries, tomatoes and actually potatoes. My garden is a patio garden. I work 16 hours a day and out of town most every week-end, so I had to have something with no hoeing and easy access to a water hose. Lettuce and carrots are on the agenda for this summer.
  • dnpamorgan
    dnpamorgan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would love to start a garden but don't even know where to begin. I don't have alot of space but would like to plant the veggies we eat the most like green beans, peas, and lettuce.
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have some white half runner bean and greasy bean seeds up for exchange. :)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i have up for exchange (off hand)

taken from last year's harvests, grown organically, i believe them to be open pollinated, heirloom varieties.

Long Island Cheese Squash,
    Asian Pumpkin,
    Poblano peppers
    White wax peppers
    Actually, a lot of pepper seeds of different types. They don't grow very well here in general, or if they do, I don't have the knack for them.

I am interested in lettuces... really good, cold-hardy lettuces or any cold hardy, winter varieties of anything for winter. i have found this year that i need ore greens in the winter and will be building a hoop house fall 2011. zone 6b
  • koulan
    koulan Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello
    about tomato
    Must be dried tomato juice surrounding the seeds
    The juice prevents germination
  • cindaroses
    cindaroses Posts: 117
    Options
    i have up for exchange (off hand)

taken from last year's harvests, grown organically, i believe them to be open pollinated, heirloom varieties.

Long Island Cheese Squash,
    Asian Pumpkin,
    Poblano peppers
    White wax peppers
    Actually, a lot of pepper seeds of different types. They don't grow very well here in general, or if they do, I don't have the knack for them.

I am interested in lettuces... really good, cold-hardy lettuces or any cold hardy, winter varieties of anything for winter. i have found this year that i need ore greens in the winter and will be building a hoop house fall 2011. zone 6b

I'm growing asian pumpkin (kabocha) this year. I'm in zone 6. Most lettuces seem to do well for me. Last year oak left or salad bowl did really well in the cool weather. The buttercrunch also did well, but I didn't save the seeds last year b/c the rain got to them before I did. Thanks for putting up the seeds you have available. I might want some of those poblano seeds...yummy.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what your talking about with the seed exchange...Do you keep the seeds out of your veggies to plant the following year???

Ohhh and our broccoli has little itty bitty brocoli head on them and the squash is just sprouting looks so cool! Were going to be planting all the rest of the stuff within the next couple of weeks but this is way just way to cool to see our stuff growing!
  • kayemme
    Options
    I'm growing asian pumpkin (kabocha) this year. I'm in zone 6. Most lettuces seem to do well for me. Last year oak left or salad bowl did really well in the cool weather. The buttercrunch also did well, but I didn't save the seeds last year b/c the rain got to them before I did. Thanks for putting up the seeds you have available. I might want some of those poblano seeds...yummy.

"my" asian pumpkin is much bigger than kabocha i have seen, though it's similar. It's a very pretty squash and did i mention enormous?

you wanna trade some lettuce for some peppers/squash? i'm also looking for radicchio, cuz i understand it will grow in a hoophouse until feb, or at least mid jan. and god, wouldn't i kill for some local greens come jan.
  • kayemme
    Options
    I have no idea what your talking about with the seed exchange...Do you keep the seeds out of your veggies to plant the following year???

yep... pretty much. some of them you have to look for, but in fruits, they're inside the fruit! it's a pretty fun thing to do!
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    OK so been keeping this thread close at hand :happy: This is my first garden ever, 2500sq ft thought I would upload some pics of where we stand as of right now!

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg
  • cindaroses
    cindaroses Posts: 117
    Options
    Looking good. Such a big first garden!
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on doing a container garden this year since we have very little yard space but plenty of room on the deck. Any suggestions on what works well in containers and what doesn't? I was planning on tomatoes, bell peppers, green beans, peas, onions, and hot peppers.
  • FitJ1210
    FitJ1210 Posts: 754
    Options
    I am new to gardening, found out Organic Brandywine's are the the best tomatoes we grew last year. I tried saving seeds but didn't have much luck.
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Wow this is such a great thread!!! I love gardening, have been doing it for years.
    My favorites have been Sweet 100 tomatoes and Jalapenos peppers.
    I'm in Zone 5A so the last frost bite are around may. I cannot wait!

This year I want to try planting: watermelons, pumpkins, corns and stevia.

People in "shorter-season' zoning (5, 4....), I've been wondering, should I try planting those indoors first?
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Zone 9a here - we have had a little (literally) success with bell and banana peppers and spinach, and just planted some onions. We just started sprouting too, which is fantastic and easy!
  • clw_888
    clw_888 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am also a patio/container gardner and live in Zone 4. I have had great success with bell peppers, cherry tomotoes, green onions and chile peppers. I intend to do a garden again this year and will probably do some of the same items. One thing I am looking to add is a blueberry bush to my planting! Any recommendations? I need something that will survive in a pot and in negative temps during the winter. I am not sure how large of a pot to use and could use any other tips from successful blueberry gardners! Thanks :)
  • koulan
    Options
    Hello for all
    to clw_888
    Tifblue Rabbiteye there is a lot of varieties but you can ask
    if you like to plante blueberrys
    you should mix organic matter with peat, you can put a few cotton
    During the winter
    1- put a round the plant 6 or > small bag of mulch as 1kg, caver all with some of mulch or grass cutting to keep the temperature ( I know its not good design but the necessity)
    2- if you have pot do as N°1 but place some mulch under pot or you can keep it undercover in your house.
    3- for the branches cover with sail special plants.

if you like to grow from seed you must have hydrofarm germination seeds because the seeds can takes 1year to grow in morocco
    if you don’t have germinator set seeds in piece of a clinex put it on few cotton below small glass jar from you kitchen a drop of water in it, cover then put it on old screen pc or next to heating

ATTENTION
    DON’T FORGET IF YOU PUT PLASTIC JAR IS INFLAMMABLE
    AND WATER INSIDE THE JAR YOU MAST FIX THE JAR

Thanks
  • koulan
    Options
    Sorry for my english
    I forget you can see Seed Germination after few weeks
  • koulan
    Options
    For lklein

All work in pots or containers but the problem was maturity size of (plant, tree) & water with peat + organic matter
    then you should know about what's size of pots you need

the pepper should be located away from the sun to cold drafts
    tomatoes, green beans and peas with metal bracket should be located sunlight
    onions you should break the leaves to obtain large bulbs
    all in pots if you like