Healthy Detox Challenge - NO FASTING

Options

Replies

• MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    GREAT job today everyone!!!! Super logging, and I can see all the good choices in your diaries!

I am totally pleased with my day, still worried about tomorrow but hope the planning ahead has helped. To make matters worse, our kitchen sink literally sprung a leak so prepping anything fresh right now is extra tough. YIKES!:grumble:

I'll be checking in late tomorrow after we return from our Jeep ride, so best of luck to everyone for Saturday!!!!!
    D.
  • CarlitaK
    CarlitaK Posts: 139
    Options
    New day new excitement! Looking forward to making my homemade tortilla soup tonight! From scratch! including the veggie stalk, and tomato sauce... no preservatives for me :)
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    New day new excitement! Looking forward to making my homemade tortilla soup tonight! From scratch! including the veggie stalk, and tomato sauce... no preservatives for me :)

WOOHOO!!! Way to go!

I'm back from the Jeep trip, and it was fun and I stayed on track. Now we're talking about Saturday night plans, and we'd love to go out for dinner.... but unless I can research the right restaurant, that'll be out. Hmm..... .... .... this is so hard!
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ok, so yesterday I ended up being bad. As I told you I had a party, so I didn't do it soo bad in food terms, but I had two high calorie and sugar alcoholic drinks...There wasn't wine:sad: ....I dont feel so bad because I ate a lot of salads and good food and just two bites from the cake but the drinks were bad, I know....

After this day, I know I won't be having too much temptations, so I'm able to stick to the plan!!!:..For me sunday would be officcialy my Day 1 from this healthy detox and promise to do it excellent....:drinker:
  • CarlitaK
    Options
    Day 3!

Well I am officially out of wine now, having had 3/4 on Friday night and 1/4 last night.

So far I'm doing really well, I'm really enjoying the healthy foods and feeling quite energized by the fruits and veggies. The only thing I am missing is the bread... oh man could I go for some bread! hahaha

For those of you missing diet sodas, I realized yesterday that San Pelligrino is simply carbonated water! So, no additives! Anywho, really helps with the cravings of carbonated beverages! Squeeze in a little bit of lemon or lime and voila! super yummy!
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Happy Day Three everyone!!!

Well - I'm feeling GREAT today. I thought I'd be having bad cravings, but so far so good.

Great idea on the San Pel. water - I hadn't thought of that and I AM missing my soda!!!

I will post more tonight - for now, off to pamper with a pedi!
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    <deep breath> Day 3 almost complete. Congratulations!!!!! Are you ready for the week ahead?? What have you done to get ready??

Today was supposed to be an R&R day. However, a popped pipe under the kitchen sink made that impossible. I had hoped we'd have it fixed early, but just ran into problems. So the pedi I was all set to get didn't happen, but I did get to burn some calories crawling around on the floor, running outside, and mopping.

The Pelligrino and lime worked great. I added some Sugar in the Raw, and made a sparkling lemonade. It HIT the sweet spot and seems to have quelled my raging taste for Sprite 0.

As you gear up for the week, be prepared: day 4 and 5 are historically tough. The "newness" of the plan has worn off, the cravings are still around and will make a mad effort to get you to come back to them.... and remember: just one taste CAN derail!!!

So, keep it up! Keep posting and checking in! We're on our way, ladies!!
    D.
  • jennyab
    jennyab Posts: 20
    Options
    Things have been going really good so far. Today I was totally craving something sweet, I had fresh pineapple and it was soo good. I have been eating fruit for breakfast, some sort of salad for lunch, veggies and protein for dinner. I miss my dt. soda, crackers & cheese oh, and orange sherbert!
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Well, so far so good today.

At work, there seems to be chocolate EVERYWHERE: M&Ms, Heath, cakes... I'm eating only what I packed, but it's very hard. Especially as I look toward my afternoon knowing I've got a good solid 3-4 hours of deskwork to do. Something about sitting and working on the computer makes me want to snack. SO TOUGH!

I am excited about a delcious natural lasagna I found. It is SO GOOD - Trader Joe's has done it again!

Hope you are all doing well!
    D.
  • jillbarnes
    Options
    My Day 1 is rough so far. We got back home at midnight last night after being gone a week, no fresh fruits (which is normally breakfast). I made it to the gym (on an empty stomach) and then to both Trader Joe's & Whole Foods. By the time I got home I was STARVING. I snacked on some pomegranate and sunflower seeds while I cooked quinoa. I've never made quinoa and I'm not very impressed. (Anyone have recipes they'd like to share?) It's been at least 30mins since I've finished lunch and I'm still hungry, a headache is starting to form. It probably doesn't help that my child is not behaving well.
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    WOW! Now that's a hard day one!!

It is rough... but you can get through it. Stay focused. You'll make it and it will be your day 2 before you know it.

The headaches and hunger are to be expected (unfortunately). The first 3-4 days... well... suck. But it WILL feel awesome soon!

I like quinoa both sweet (like oatmeal with a little brown sugar and cinnamon, or with honey) and savory.

Here is 1 quinoa recipe I love:

Thyme for Quinoa

Cooking Spray
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 red onion, diced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup uncooked quinoa
    2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
    2 teaspoons dried parsley
    ½ teaspoon dried thyme
    3-4 grinds fresh black pepper

Serves: 4

Place oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook additional 2 minutes. Remove onions and garlic, place in bowl. Spray saucepan with cooking spray, add quinoa, return to heat. Toast quinoa, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Add broth, bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to simmer.

Cook 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Add parsley, thyme, and pepper to onion mixture. Add onions to quinoa, stir, and serve.

Tip: Replace dried herbs for fresh. In general 1 teaspoon dried equals one tablespoon of fresh.

Serving Suggestions: Garnish with a sprig of fresh thyme.

Options:
    • Add other veggies to the onions like bell peppers or zucchini
    • Swap vegetable broth for mushroom broth
    • Stir in a handful of dried cranberries or raisins

Nutritional Tidbit: While quinoa is sometimes called a whole grain, it is actually the seed of a green leafy plant. Quinoa’s magnesium helps keep bones healthy and maintain normal blood sugar level, while being high in fiber and lowering cholesterol. It’s also gluten-dree and very easy to digest.
  • CarlitaK
    Options
    Keep up the good work Jill! the first day is always the hardest! I made quinoa yesterday... added fresh basil, mint, parsley, cucumber, pepper, tomato and lemon juice! it was delicious! well... let's be honest here, a pizza would have tasted better and been a lot more filling... but for healthy food it was pretty darn good!
  • jillbarnes
    Options
    My headache was more of a sinus issue, my allergies are in full swing right now. I ended up taking a nap from 6-9 and just snacked when I woke up. I didn't have the energy to focus, my headache still lingers. I think if I had started out on the right foot and not waited until 2pm to eat, I would have done better. When I'm starving, even after I eat I'm still hungry for quite a while. I plan on restarting tomorrow on the right foot. :) 
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    I plan on restarting tomorrow on the right foot. :) 

Fantastic!! You're still doing great with your calorie goals. The rest will come! You can do this!
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Okay ladies - - - can you believe it? DAY FIVE IS TOMORROW! FIVE WHOLE DAYS *completed*!! Congratulations!!!

Give yourself a big hug and a bigger pat on the back. This is NOT EASY. It is SO much easier (faster, cheaper, etc) to not give the thought and energy into what you're eating. Your body is going to thank you!

Mine is starting to. Today was an incredibly difficult day. Being at work and around piles of junk food was brutal. I wanted a soda so badly I had trouble concentrating. I wanted chips, crackers, and this one amazing looking blueberry muffin. I ate ALL the food I brought from home and I was still hungry. Really, hungry - hunger pains and all.

But I made it home. Cooked a big meal. Ate every bite of it. Now I'm not hungry, but I'm not quite satisfied either. I'd love a thin mint cookie. Or a piece of my boyfriend's PIZZA that he had leftover from his lunch. Or a soda.

But instead, I'm going to bed. I'm going to drink a big glass of water so at least I'll feel really full. And hope that will set me off to dreamland (Where hopefully sugarplums will NOT dance in my head).

Tomorrow should be easier, although it could go either way. I've found days 4 & 5 to be tough, so let's hope this time it stops with day 4. LOL

KEEP IT UP, Ladies! I can't wait to hear your check-ins later this week. I'm also really looking forward to my official weigh in on Friday.

Goodnight!:yawn:
    D.
  • jennyab
    jennyab Posts: 20
    Options
    Thank you for that delicious quinoa recipie Mocha! I am under the weather today- a touch of the flu I think, achy, dry cough, hot & cold. It sucks. I have stuck to the plan so far though- I had a delicious smoothie for b.fast. Day 5 already, great job girls!
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Ahhh, sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Super-awesome for sticking to the plan, even when not feeling 100%.

Hopefully, you'll kick it soon and be back in action.
  • CarlitaK
    Options
    I agree! I hope you feel better Jenny!

I have to say, I am loving this healthy eating thing! I feel so great! I feel energized and satiated...this is great...

Hope you guys are feeling the same benefits!
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Ok girls, I know I've been MIA these days, but I was taking some vacances at the beach, I didn't do it bad, I followed my diet with a few modifications, but now I'm ready to give my 100% with this challenge and I can log everything I eat...You have been doing it very good as I see...Keep it up and you'll see results...Good luck
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Welcome back, and happy birthday!