How do you deal with compliments?

Options
Soooze
Soooze Posts: 122 Member
A lot of people are commenting on my weight loss lately.
like: 'Wow! You look good, you lost some weight'
or 'I haven't been at the gym in a while and I haven't seen you but wow! you look terrific!'

So, my question to you is, what do you reply?
I know I should take the compliment. I should at least say 'Thank you!'
I try. But I get uncomfortable and I don't know what to say!
I always reply 'Yes, but I don't see the results on the scale!'

I hardly see any results on the scale but I know I'm building muscle and getting leaner.
I just dont' know what to answer those people.

Replies

• Melisha82
    Melisha82 Posts: 243
    Options
    i just say , "Thank you I'm working on it" lol
  • sarahleelee
    sarahleelee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I smile and say "Thank you!" and then go "toss, toss" with my hair. :P
  • frubjious
    frubjious Posts: 355
    Options

Love it!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    It makes people feel good to know they've made you feel good. I say thank you and show them that I appreciate it.
  • modifyinglife
    Options

Love it!

lol ditto!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    My reply is usually similar to Melisha82. People will ask am I losing weight and I'll say, "I'm working on it!" or "I'm trying!"
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    I completely understand - while my scale hasn't budged much in the last month, I've gone down another dress size. While I want the weight loss, my focus right now is lean muscle increase. SO...

Take the compliment! The people commenting are being genuine, and telling you that THEY see a difference. While it's hard to take a compliment when you feel like the results aren't what YOU want, THEY are expressing their sincere appreciation of your efforts and how good you look. I wouldn't downplay it by saying "I don't see results" because that just minimizes their opinion, and may even make them feel uncomfortable.

One of the biggest obstacles of losing weight is being happy with who you are while you're trying to get to who you want to be. Use this as practice for buildling your self esteem. If you can't like who you are now, how will you enjoy who you are later?

And hey, the honest fact is - you do look terrific! :)
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    over 30 Lbs lost now (20 prior to joining mfp) and i have yet to hear a single compliment offered unless i myself asked someone 'so.. notice any difference?'
    Granted my immediate circle of friends/family see me regularly so perhaps they have indeed noticed nothing..idk.

(and yes, there is a noticeable difference)

So.. if i ever get any, will let you know... but in general? *L* i would be thrilled and proud to hear one, though at the same time feel a lil awkward too (judging on my reaction to compliments in other areas of my life)
  • Tarah1357
    Tarah1357 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i just say , "Thank you I'm working on it" lol

That's pretty much what I say too. It's a nice generic response.

As far as not noticing the loss on the scale. I hear ya. I can definitely see changes in my body since starting to exercise regularly but the scale doesn't say I've lost much of anything. I've never really been one to care what the scale says anyway. I think once someone is happy with the way they actually look and feel, it won't matter what the scale tells us. Just like age, it's nothing but a number! :smile:
  • ican♥and♥iwill
    ican♥and♥iwill Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My reply is usually similar to Melisha82. People will ask am I losing weight and I'll say, "I'm working on it!" or "I'm trying!"

This.
  • WomanPower79
    Options
    ooooooooo.... can i steal your quote? well i am.. its great!!!!!! I love it... so simple and damn true!
  • LisaLN
    LisaLN Posts: 54
    Options
    Totally agree with saying thanks and I'm working on it. :) You've worked hard and deserve the compliments!
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually turn away from them as I lower my head because I am a little embarrassed that I got so big that even 2 lb weight loss is noticeable. But I do say thank you and tell them its not easy. But I work on it everyday. Its crazy though. I feel you. Sometimes I think I blush. My neighbor across the street asked me about it the other day and I just kinda grinned the best I could. Thankfully my mom was there and jumped in. yeah she has! shes lost like 78 lbs and then he starts asking how. i can handle the how. I dont know what I am going to do when I get to where I want to be. I am going to be blushing like crazy. Not used to getting compliments.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    over 30 Lbs lost now (20 prior to joining mfp) and i have yet to hear a single compliment offered unless i myself asked someone 'so.. notice any difference?'
    Granted my immediate circle of friends/family see me regularly so perhaps they have indeed noticed nothing..idk.

(and yes, there is a noticeable difference)

So.. if i ever get any, will let you know... but in general? *L* i would be thrilled and proud to hear one, though at the same time feel a lil awkward too (judging on my reaction to compliments in other areas of my life)

same here,, i got to 35 lbs before anyone said anything,,, really pissed me off for a while... but at the point now where it doesnt matter. i feel awesome and i'm doing things i never thought i would..
  • katiemeridien
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I'm so bad at taking compliments and I think the advice you got here is really helpful for everyone.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    it was really hard at first... but now I just say thank you, I am trying.

the follow up is How much have you lost

50lbs..

How did you do it?

Working out 4-5 days a week and watching what I eat...

Oh....

:laugh:
  • CharlestonUSC
    Options
    My wife is having the same problem with the scale. She has completely transformed her body with a committed workout routine over the last year. She has settled in at a weight and can't seem to get past it. But when I look at her intimately I can definitely tell a huge difference. Her body has shifted insanely and I believe the reasont he weight hasn't gone done is b/c she has built up her lower body muscle groups.

She is very self-confident about it and gets angry and disgruntled when she gets on the scale. If it was up to me I'd throw that damn thing out and never let her see one again. So I completely understand where you are coming from and hope you realize that muscle does weigh more than fat so even if you have put weight on that could be the answer.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options

This.

Yep.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Mine really depends on what kind of mood I'm in and who's saying it. If it's someone that I'm a casual acquaintance with that says "Wow, you look great!" I usually say "Thanks! I'm trying really hard :)" Yes, with the smile. If it's someone I know really well and I'm feeling a little frisky, I'll say "I know! Right?!?!" LOL
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    When I get complimented on my weight loss I shyly smile and say "Thank you, I'm trying." When I get told I look pretty, I'm extremely awkward and say something like, "Oh, um, good genes I guess? Make-up helps..."
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!