Does anyone else get REALLY hungry at night?

Options
I try to not eat after 8 pm, but when I go to bed I get very very hungry. My stomach will growl, hurt and I'll toss and turn all night with all kinds of different food cravings running through my mind. It's really starting to get on my nerves! Does anyone else have this problem? And if so, how do you solve it without eating anything?

3960853.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• mclahey
    mclahey Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I get really munchy about 8pm...I have a little popcorn...
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    dry cereal... I usually munch on the cinnamon cheerios or the banana nut ones... about 100 cals for a cup (depending on which variety)
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have many times, that's when I grab me some celery or carrots or a good fruit to munch on. It certainly helps my munchies..
  • angelalein
    Options
    I will wake up in the middle of the night starving!!!! I crave all kinds of crazy things I know I am not suppose to eat!!! I will sometime drink a glass of no fat skim milk to try to kill the hunger pains.
  • TimarieS
    TimarieS Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Someone just told me that recent studies are showing that it does not matter what time you eat, it has no bearing on weight gain or loss, I don't know how true that is, but her source was pretty reliable, she is a dietitian at Univ of Mich and this info came from a seminar she attended called "myth busters"
    I don't know if I believe it or not!

On the other hand, My doctor told me that since I deal with the same thing, especially because I'm on a med that decreases my appetite (until it wears off, then i'm always hungry), which is not for weight loss, but anyways, he told me just to make sure that if i snack at night to make it small portions of fresh fruits and veggies
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    Try to eat more fiber with your last meal/snack of the day, or just move one of your snacks until later. That thing about eating after a certain time at night is a complete fallacy. You shouldn't gorge yourself in the evening, but a snack close to bed time doesn't actually make you gain weight or stop you from losing it. Also, there probably shouldn't be more than 3 hours between your last food intake and bed time.
  • Jovannyr
    Jovannyr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    uggghhhhh... :grumble: i know what you mean, that is happening to me a lot lately...what im doing lately is that I will grab a light cheese stick and about 2-3 crackers and water and that will do....or an 80cal yogurt
  • shartman72
    Options
    I usually eat some popcorn too, or a small bowl of cereal. Also, this sounds weird, but it helps if I brush my teeth early. For some reason, I can resist because I don't want to mess up my freshly brushed teeth! LOL.
  • LauraW116
    LauraW116 Posts: 26
    Options
    Sometimes i do.... Ive increased my protein & fiber a little and i dont feel the hunger as much
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    I do! Even if I eat at like 7pm I am still hungry!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Its been proven that it doesnt matter when the calories are eaten so if you're regularly waking up hungry then you should eat something before you go to bed as sleep disturbance and unusual sleep patterns can have a negative impact on weight loss...just save 100 calories for a bite to eat before bed.
  • andrewferk
    Options
    Yes. This week I am not having that problem, but some weeks I do. I see that you want to be a runner, so I assume you are running a lot. I also run a lot, but I'm not trying to lose wait. I tend to think when my body tells me I need feed, it's probably because I need it, but sometimes it's hard to stop. Food (energy) allows me to run longer and more.
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I always want to go on an eat-a thon at night...its mainly when I'm at home and not out and about. I usually will just portion out a healthy snack (special k chips) or some fruit to curb appetite
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Could it be that because you're eating less than 900 calories AND exercising that you're starving? Our brains require 500 calories a day to just function. You may want to eat more.
  • sweebeesmom
    sweebeesmom Posts: 148
    Options
    I save myself 100-200 calories to eat at night. I'm not usually starving, but I get the pinch that drags me in around midnight (I'm a night owl, work mainly at night) so I try to spread it out.. I personally think it's good for the metabolism to do it that way. :)
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    i get crazy late night cravings. the later i stay up the more i crave. i think its my addiction to stuffing things into my mouth and digesting. my body thinks "hey you're still up! you should be eating something!"

so i eat an archer farms real fruit bar and hope that works LOL
  • bfrice1
    bfrice1 Posts: 62
    Options
    I do!!! Last night was a perfect example. I tried not to eat anything but it was futile, I was absolutely STARVING.

I eat something with protein and fat, I might snag some peanut butter on celery or yogurt and nuts or whatever, but I only do it when I just can't sleep from hunger (I don't get enough sleep, I'm dead in the water when it comes time to do Tae Bo later in the day. It's pathetic, I tell you)

At any rate, I just add whatever I ate to my food diary as a 'Snack' and that's the end of it. I figure if I account for it, I haven't really done anything wrong, so long as I don't eat cake or pie or pizza.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Looks like you may not be eating enough, so you're hungry. That's good, it means your body is sending the correct signal. Simple solution: eat more :wink:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you're that hungry surely you're not eating enough, period! If you were so heavy you were putting your health or life in danger it would make sense, but why torture yourself when you're so close to your goal.

I have gone to bed hungry, and woken up ravenous, but what you're describing sounds seriously unhealthy for you. Sleep matters too!

Have a serious look at your calories for the day, not just your bedtime snack, and maybe increase them just a little over all.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Saturday your net calories after exercise was 424.
    Sunday net 500.
    Monday net 447
    Tuesday net 426.

Your body is hungry.