Does anyone else get REALLY hungry at night?

Options

Replies

• HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I just checked out your food diary. You need to eat more hun, or you're gonna hurt yourself.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do get very hungry and I've learned that if I don't eat something I end up tossing and turning much like you describe. I will have a small snack to take the edge off. I just make sure it's protein and not carbohydrates. It seems to work for me as I haven't seen any issues with the scale or waking up swollen from retaining water (like I do if I eat carbs at bedtime).

I'm not going to ruin a much needed good night's sleep just for a few calories when a little string cheese will let me sleep like a baby!
  • Estrella4ever
    Options
    More food and more water :tongue:
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Yes Im like you sometimes it will keep me up and I also try not to eat too late as well but Ive been drinking more water and I go ahead and have a light bedtime snack if it gets to be too much a problem
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. I only looks at a few days, but you don't eat enough. At the very least you need to eat the calories that Myfitnesspal calculated you should eat, and you should eat them all every day. If I only ate the amount you were eating in a day I would be hungry as well. It is not enough calories and will have negative effects on your health and make you more likely to fail and start binging since you are eating so little. Your body will revolt and eventually things will all come falling down. Eat all your calories from good high quality, high fiber sources and things will get better.
  • BlueLightRhyno
    BlueLightRhyno Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I try to not eat after 8 pm, but when I go to bed I get very very hungry. My stomach will growl, hurt and I'll toss and turn all night with all kinds of different food cravings running through my mind. It's really starting to get on my nerves! Does anyone else have this problem? And if so, how do you solve it without eating anything?

3960853.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I have had this happen to me, a couple of times. When I asked about it, I was told to eat some Cottage Cheese and hour before going to bed.

It was explained to me, that Cottage Cheese was a slow absorbing protein, maybe called a Cassein Protein.

I have never liked Cottage Cheese, but after dosing it with Tabasco Sauce and having a large glass of water, I was able to get it down. (I don't know how true it is, but I was also told that Tabasco Sauce will speed up your Metabolism)

The best part was that I didn't wake with hunger pains.

-Good Luck........
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Could it be that because you're eating less than 900 calories AND exercising that you're starving? Our brains require 500 calories a day to just function. You may want to eat more.

I agree!!!
  • chrystalheart
    Options
    I agree that you're not eating enough. But I also wonder about this topic. I am not very hungry during the day at all (regardless of whether I am busy or not). At night, however, starting around 3, but especially at 8 and later, I am hungry almost all the time. It doesn't matter if I eat or not or what I eat.. I still feel that physical symptom in my gut that says I'M HUNGRY. I try healthy snacks, but I end up eating too many of them, because honestly I feel like I'm starving. This has happened to me for years. Makes me wonder if it's something metabolic.
  • MSpark3192
    MSpark3192 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I personally do when I get really hungry is I go online to domino's pizza and I blow £50 and have a jolly good munch
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Some nights I'm hungrier than others. When I feel hunger pangs coming on. I drink a BIG glass of water, if I'm still hungry, I'll snack on some fruit or 100 calorie pop corn.

23087067.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I solve this problem by eating-which you need to be doing more of anyway. I eat about 75-80% of my daily calories after 8pm (I work a regular 9-5 type job). Doesn't seem to be hurting me, as long as I stay within my calorie goals for the day, I couldn't care less what time I eat them. I eat when I'm hungry-which happens to be at night for me.
  • WillardsMommy1
    Options
    I have this problem. I usually just end up eating something before I go to bed otherwise I can't sleep. It's not hurting my weight loss by being over my goal 100-200 calories every night which is exactly what it takes me to feel sated & start to get nice & sleepy. I usually have to eat something a little more carb heavy to feel satisfied too.

• lindseymaepatz
    lindseymaepatz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've read that you should try to stay away from carbs after 6 p.m., so rather than snacking I usually have a cup of green tea around 8 p.m. I used to have the same issue as you and I've found that this works well.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I like eating at night too. I have been doing intermittent fasting for the past month or so. I eat between 12pm and 10pm. Most days I am not hungry before 12 and can get by with coffee (won't lie that some days I start eating at 11 or even 10:30 especially if I stopped eating before 10pm the night before. It's worth it to eat more food in a smaller timeframe -- at least to me.
  • starrisonmclennon
    starrisonmclennon Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    yes i always get cravings at night time, not usually so bad i can't sleep but that's probably because i drink a lot of water right before i go to bed so i feel full :-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I get pretty hungry at night, but that's because I eat most of my calories in the evening after I workout. Do you have reflux or problems sleeping if you eat late? If not, my suggestion would be to stop fighting your body and save some calories to eat at night. Or, you could try a cup of almond milk or something before bed. Unsweetened almond milk is only 30 calories per cup.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I try to not eat after 8 pm, but when I go to bed I get very very hungry. My stomach will growl, hurt and I'll toss and turn all night with all kinds of different food cravings running through my mind. It's really starting to get on my nerves! Does anyone else have this problem? And if so, how do you solve it without eating anything?

I get hungry at night. I don't consider it a problem. I just eat at night. Ta da!

Let's not create "problems" or handicaps where there are none....
  • yocando
    yocando Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I met someone who lost 60 pounds and we talked about this. She goes for celery with some PB because it's filling..that's a good snack....just go easy on the PB
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I drink Sleepy Time tea in the evening and if hungry I snack on 10 raw almonds-70 calories. The protein digests slowly and stops my hunger pangs on the spot. I think going to bed hungry saps a person's will to make changes in their eating habits and would advise you to plan a bedtime snack within your calorie allotment.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    When I first increased my calorie intake during refeeding, I would wake up painfully hungry in the middle of the night.

There's no point in going to bed hungry. There's a reason why parents use that as a punishment for naughty kids.

If you're hungry, it means you should eat something. If you're concerned that you're not really hungry, drink a big glass of water. If, after 20 minutes, you still want food, have a smart snack and don't fret on it so much.