Do I join the gym or not?

Options
13»

Replies

• KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I'm going to join.. They have this Key that goes in each machine and is programed to know your routine.. I'm really excited to learn how to work all of them.. Even if I only keep it for the year I will have learned a lot.. so I'm going to look at it as a educational experience..

Nice! Hope you use it! I have 2 memberships and use both - one by home and one by work. I use the home gym much less in the summer months because I like running outside and have weights at home - but I need my work gym because I'm not coming back after a workout without showering. I like going on my lunch hour to blow off steam and get out of the office.

My home gym... it's just getting there that's the problem - once I am there I get in the zone and I love it - most days. Thankfully my husband pushes me to go with him.
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you think you will actually go - then join. It can really help with getting into the discipline of exercising, at least it did for me. I now enjoying going at least 5 days a week.

If you can go to the gym following work, before work, etc. before you get home and are tempted to sit on the couch, then it's a good investment.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym because I like being outside for exercise. I love walking/hiking. And for weight training I do kettlebell workouts at home. But, I joined a gym recently because the weather is colder these days, rain, etc., plus it gets darker earlier so that's the only reason I did. So if it's too cold or dark for me to walk outdoors, I go to the gym to do the elliptical. And I hate it. It's boring, I don't burn as many calories indoors as I do outdoors, and people are gross--so many never wipe down equipment after using it!

Also, the cardio equipment at my gym is down in a "basement" area--meaning I have no signal on my cell phone and can't listen to Pandora/Jango/etc. I'm stuck with the songs I put on my phone, and I get easily bored with those!

So yeah, pretty much it's kind of a necessary evil these days. I'll probably cancel my membership when the days are longer and the weather improves.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I didnt see this posted but, see if they have a free trial. I joined a gym, but before I did I got a free trial to see if it was the right one for me. The first one wasnt. I wasnt comfortable with the staff or clientelle that went to the gym. The 2nd one I loved so I joined. I say give it a try, but if it isnt the right one for you, then go to another.
  • meghan_cr
    Options
    Love it when there was a good gym by me and I could afford it. Now I hate the gym that's close to my house and I can't rationalize spending the money. Instead, I run and cycle outside when the weather is good (when it's bad I cycle inside on a trainer). I also use Nike Training Club fitness app for circuit training and Yufit.com for fitness classes. Love my current routine and don't miss the gym at all!