The Zumba Crew - March

Options
Hey Zumba pals! Just wanted to start a new thread for March. Come one, come all Zumba lovers! This is a great place to talk about how much you love Zumba, and to ask questions about it too.

Since we get asked this question a lot over here, I figured I would address it in the first post:

HOW TO LOG ZUMBA CALORIES ON MFP:

The calories burned during Zumba varies greatly for each individual. Your size, gender and age play big roles in how many calories you burned, but what REALLY counts is how vigorously you did the dancing. Getting a heart Rate monitor is best for this activity because you can burn as few as 300/hr or as much as 1000/hr. That's a big gap!

For those who do not have a hrm, there are several ways you can log. Search Dance Aerobics or General aerobics and that might give you a good ballpark figure.

Hope some of you are still with me this month!

Replies

• ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I love doing Zumba and do it 1-2/week at the Y! I want to become an instructor eventually. Being I have only done it at the Y I do have a question-- are the classes/moves all similar? If I took it one place and took it out of town somewhere would I know what I was doing or be totally lost?
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    I love doing Zumba and do it 1-2/week at the Y! I want to become an instructor eventually. Being I have only done it at the Y I do have a question-- are the classes/moves all similar? If I took it one place and took it out of town somewhere would I know what I was doing or be totally lost?

ofccat - you'll find that zumba instructors can vary greatly with their music choices as well as choregraphy. While you may find that some songs are the same, the choreography may be totally different. That's what's great about Zumba - is that you can get a different experience each time! As an instructor, I often take other Zumba classes to keep me fresh and on my toes when it comes to routines, dance moves, etc. You'll find some similar moves across the board, but that's about it! :)
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    sorry to gatecrash but i love love love zumba!!!

i go 2/3 x a week plus i do curves and boy can i see a difference already in my shape :-)

xx
  • princessjarvis
    Options
    I think im addicted to it!! im trying to go 1/2 a week aswell as my normal cardio! I have such a good laugh doing it too :-)

I really need to invest in HRM so i can get an accurate calorie burn, xx
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I am doing Zumba at home three times a week (on top of Power 90 six times a week) and I have convinced my friends to sign up for an actual Zumba class with me -- it is going to be a lot of fun! I am still trying to get the coordination of the moves down, it's definitely a work in progress :)
  • Drea1713
    Drea1713 Posts: 13
    Options
    Zuuummmmmbbbbbaaaaa!!! I am now a Zumbaholic. I started my first class 4 weeks ago today and i am hooked. I have lost 6 pounds and hoping to shred more. I also want a heart rate monitor any suggestion as which one is best? I always try my hardest and am now pushed to the front of the class bc I can follow the moves easily lol.
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to Zumba! I go twice a week, and would go more often, but I do other activities on the other days to mix it up. I love my instructor - she is so much fun and has a ton of energy. I recently got a heart rate monitor, but discovered afterwards it didn't count calroies, so I have another ordered. I will let you all know what I think of it when I get it.
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The HRM that are the best are the ones with the chest strap. They are supposedly most accurate and count your HR continuously for maximum effect. Polar and Garmin are the best ones I have read about. I have a New Balance and a MIO. They are fine, but on the lower end price-wise. The Polars are usually 60 - 100$.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    The HRM that are the best are the ones with the chest strap. They are supposedly most accurate and count your HR continuously for maximum effect. Polar and Garmin are the best ones I have read about. I have a New Balance and a MIO. They are fine, but on the lower end price-wise. The Polars are usually 60 - 100$.

yup you got it, I shoulda put that in the original post. Plus it is great to watch those calories tick by!
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Kim and I am a Zumbaholic!!!

I go anywhere from 1-4 times a week and some days I do back to back Zumba and Zumba Toning! LOVE it! I can see the difference in my arms from the toning and I LOVE IT!
    A HRM is the way to go for sure! Here are my stats and comparison of calories burned when tracked with my HRM and logged with MFP exercises.
    Height: 5'4
    Weight:145

HRM Zumba (Sweating my butt off ): 60 min= 588 Calories

MFP Aerobics, High Impact: 60 min= 459 Calories

MFP Dancing, general: 60 min= 295 Calories
  • Manda12702
    Options
    I love Zumba. And having my HRM makes it so much easier to count caloires. I have a basic Timex IronMan. Lowest of the line that still counts calories and I got mine off of eBay. I love it, it fits great and doesn't hurt my ribs or get in my way. Plus it is wonderful knowing how much you are burning off.
  • Girlypeekaboo
    Options
    I'm going to be doing zumba at home for awhile....still waiting on my dvds....I'm super excited!! I'm hoping to get a HRM when I reach my 10-15 lbs loss.......hope I can do it. No wait scratch that...I know I can do it!!!
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I loe Zumba! I'm in for this group!!!!
  • erniemj
    erniemj Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have been going for a little over a month and its great! I love how it really moves your whole body!
  • erniemj
    erniemj Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Question - since I don't have a HRM - would anyone care to ballpark for me what you might suspect my calories burned would be - I have been logging it at 500 (which MFP has adjusted to 478 since I have lost some weight) for an hour of zumba - here are my stats

5'4"
    175 pounds
    35 years old

Thanks!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!
    I LOVE Zumba!!!!!!!!
    I take a class 3x's / wk but find myself wanting more......

Can anyone help me....I am hoping to find DVD's to do at home
    any suggestions as to where I can buy these at???
    Also, I am looking for an HRM; I'd like to be able to see heart rate, calories burned
    & when running, miles & time ....any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!!
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    February was a bad month for me....however I've started back doing my Zumba DVDs this week and my shoulders are sore...guess its from the sculpt video with the weights...Hope I can stick with it this time
  • jenlayport
    jenlayport Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just started Zumba a few weeks ago too and Im addicted! I go 2 times a week. Its so much fun and doesn't feel like working out!
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Question - since I don't have a HRM - would anyone care to ballpark for me what you might suspect my calories burned would be

It really depends on the class. I vary anywhere from 450-800 for an hour depending on the workout for the day. if you can afford it invest in a HRM. I have the New Balance for $60 and love it!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I had a great class last night! I am so excited to be teaching at a new rec center which has a super facility! I really enjoy it there and the ladies are so sweet! I hope that I can get some more time slots there in the near future.

the hrm I got was not the expensive polar either, it is called the Pulsewear Duo by Highgear. It was a little complicated to figure out at first but now that I know the buttons it is much easier. It was only 60 on Amazon several years ago when I got it.