Atkins for Life Here

Options
124»

Replies

• LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    @Grokette...if you read my last post, or the article...you will know that the article is about the dangers of a high protein diet. I never said I knew anything about atkins, but there are dangers to high protein...and I think people need to be aware of them.

If you had half a brain you would know that high protein is only dangerous if you already have advanced kidney disease or some other pre-existing condition that prevents your body from using protein as it should be used. There are whole societies of peoples around the world who live on fat and protein very little carbohydrate because the land they live on doesn't support much agriculture other then grasses. Protein and fats can be converted to glucogen (prefered energy source) by our amazing bodies...carbs cannot be converted to proteins very efficiently, that is why many novice vegetarians become sick...they don't eat enough protein.
  • blittle40
    blittle40 Posts: 31
    Options
    I agree with you here...I've learned through my nutrition classes and from my husband being a nurse in the hospital, that dr.'s only receive about 2 maybe 3 hours of nutrition classes during their entire medical college career...just be careful
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I personally do not consider myself on atkins or any other diet...but if you were to look at the way I eat now its pretty similar to the final phase of atkins. for the most part I try to avoid starchy foods and sugar, I eat complex carbs for breakfast (oatmeal), I eat 1-2 fruits per day max, and I eat lots of lean protein and vegetables the rest of the time.

The way I see it people should do whatever it takes to get themselves to a point where they are eating a diet that is based predominantly on whole foods. Whether the starting point is atkins or anything else doesn't matter, as long as they end up adopting better eating habits that are sustainable for the long term.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    @Grokette...if you read my last post, or the article...you will know that the article is about the dangers of a high protein diet. I never said I knew anything about atkins, but there are dangers to high protein...and I think people need to be aware of them.

If you had half a brain you would know that high protein is only dangerous if you already have advanced kidney disease or some other pre-existing condition that prevents your body from using protein as it should be used. There are whole societies of peoples around the world who live on fat and protein very little carbohydrate because the land they live on doesn't support much agriculture other then grasses. Protein and fats can be converted to glucogen (prefered energy source) by our amazing bodies...carbs cannot be converted to proteins very efficiently, that is why many novice vegetarians become sick...they don't eat enough protein.

Are you a doctor? Or a dietician? That's why I'm saying READ THE ARTICLE! It's by a professional.

And I know it may not affect everyone the same, but it still good information.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I did read the article.............and you posted the article in a thread speaking about a Low Carb Plan, specifically Atkins.

Atkins is NOT a high protein plan. It begins as a higher fat, moderate protein, low carb plan and then as you move through the plan it evolves to a more moderate fat, moderate protein and moderate carb plan.

If you know nothing about the plan, you can not specifically say for sure whether there are "dangers" to a high protein plan or not. Right????