What is your favourite American-ism?

Options
1235»

Replies

• thomcanalichio
    Options
    "His iron's rusted" = the full phrase from the scene is "Rory's 'Roger' iron rusted" - Roger referring to Roger Mellie, a famous British television personality. The original phrase is "Roger Mellie the man on the telly", shortened here to just Roger (stand-in for his TV), and "iron rusted," rhyming slang for "busted." In other words, Rory's TV broke.

"Gone to the local battle-cruiser" = cruiser rhymes with boozer, another word for pub or bar.

"Aristotle of the most ping pong tiddly in the nuclear sub" = A bottle of the strongest drink in the pub (high proof alcohol, with which he spits on the man and then lights him on fire!)

"It's no good standing out there like one o'clock half-struck" = this one is peculiar and I can't find anything that makes perfect sense of it. Here's my theory: look at the hands of a clock at half-past 1 o'clock. in the context of the scene, he's talking to a bunch of on-lookers as he tries to sell the stolen jewelry. Could it mean someone standing, sort of bent at the waist, looking forward at an angle? Bacon then says, "show me a bit of life," as in, get out your wallets and buy my moody gold!
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    In for later when I get home!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I had an MFP that didn't know what a koozie was.

It's a little insulator that keeps your beer bottle or can cool and your hand warm.

Great for all day drinking at the lake!