Super Size Me vs Fat Head

Options
13»

Replies

• mewalker3
    mewalker3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I know I'm late on this thread, but at the end of the documentary he specifically says "this isn't a good idea, it's just to show that fast food isn't responsible for obesity". The point isn't that fast food is good, the point is that sugars and high carb diets spike blood sugar which makes you more likely to store fat. It doesn't matter where you get the food, it's what you are eating.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I know I'm late on this thread, but at the end of the documentary he specifically says "this isn't a good idea, it's just to show that fast food isn't responsible for obesity". The point isn't that fast food is good, the point is that sugars and high carb diets spike blood sugar which makes you more likely to store fat. It doesn't matter where you get the food, it's how much are eating.

Corrected it for you
  • emilygmcallister
    Options
    I think you all should see Fathead. It very logical. You can't really have an opinion unless you watch it.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    My body found a very good solution. I've not eaten fast food (e.g. McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Dairy Queen, etc.) for many years with an exception every once in a while. Now, when I want it, I find I look forward to it at the time but then feel very sick afterwards from all the fat and then have no cravings for it. So my body has basically trained me to avoid it.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I've seen both, I've read both the Taubes books, I even bought into the whole carbs are driving insulin is driving fat idea for a while.

I did the low carb/keto thing for a while. I still gained (unwanted) fat eventually ... And on not a great number of calories either ...

After further reading I don't believe the carbs/insulin/fat thing is anywhere near the whole deal, it was persuasive at the time but as others have said, it's more cherry picking.

Both movies are OK entertainment, both are fundamentally flawed.

There speaketh someone with a Fat Head t-shirt :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I think you all should see Fathead. It very logical. You can't really have an opinion unless you watch it.

Seems like he has it all wrapped up doesn't he? ...
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If it was so easy to "just say no" then we wouldn't have as many overweight people in this country. Or drug addicts for that matter!

It's more than just "saying no". I think for most people, by the time they are in the door they figure, "Hey, I'm eating like crap no matter what here, might as well enjoy some fries too!" For me, I just avoid going into fast food joints alltogether. I haven't been to a McDonalds in MONTHS but I'm pretty sure the last time I did, I had fries.

I honestly, cannot say no to McDonald's fries. They smell and taste so darn good.

that's the opposite to me- they smell like someone who doesn't wash their greasy hair - ughh *shudder** !!
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I actually enjoyed Fat Head, we watched it just the other night. I'm not addicted to food so I guess I'm not a good one to be answering. I can say no to something I know is bad for me and I can also make healthy choices, even when bad ones are staring me in the face.
    agreed!
    Also i have seen both, i actually watched both in a row and to be honest i get what supersize me is saying but with fat head it wasn't so much a focus on saying 'no' as a focus on the fact that fat is not the problem in weight loss but refined carbs are. If you haven't seen fat head its definitely worth a watch. I have since lowered my refined carbs and consequently lost nearly twice as much in the same amount of time as when i was on low calorie.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    never seen either one
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched either, I may watch "Fat Head" now. I had no desire to watch "Super size me" after hearing what the guy ate from a friend I realized the documentary was a waste of time. Yes if you buy a huge amount of food, three times a day, and eat it you will get fat and unhealthy especially if the food isn't the healthiest choice. I said myself when somebody told me about it that I could eat McDonalds and lose weight. Its no secret, as someone already said essentially eat a lot and gain weight, eat at a calorie deficit and lose weight. Nothing new there.

As for people not knowing McDonalds is unhealthy? I feel (as was also stated prior) many know it isn't the beat choice but choose to eat it anyway. I enjoy an Angus burger, or big Mac now and then, sometimes I go for breakfast... do I think its a better option then cooking at home? No. But its nice not to cook :)
  • savoiaS1
    savoiaS1 Posts: 129
    Options
    I love both Docs and they are both correct to an extent. Bottom line of both. Calories/Macros in vs Calories/macros out. Determines scale weight. The overall health benefits is more logical in Supersize Me tho.